Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2012 9:39:44 AM PDT
It's highly annoying when Amazon (or any other online store selling videos) doesn't describe what if any special features a DVD or BluRay edition of a film includes.

In the case of Prometheus, it's especially vexing because Ridley Scott had promised an extended cut of the film on BR, which many of us hoped might plug some of the gaping plot holes or provide much needed character detail so woefully missing from the theatrical release.

So -- can ANYBODY tell us specifically what features, if any, appear on the DVD and BR versions of Prometheus??? Can ANYONE comment on the extended cut, if it appears on one of these version???

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 9:41:12 AM PDT
Brian says:
I think I saw on another board that atleast on the 2 Disk version there are no special features. Im about to go to Best Buy to find out.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 9:43:14 AM PDT
Brian says:
As per this website.. http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100212_0100

"Also today, a lot of fans have asked us about the differences between Fox's 2-disc Prometheus Blu-ray/DVD Combo ($39.99 - Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy) and the Prometheus 4 Disc Collector's Edition (SRP $49.99 - Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy). The 4-disc edition includes the movie in Blu-ray 3D, the movie in 2D (with commentary by director/producer Ridley Scott and a second commentary by writer Jon Spaihts and writer/executive producer Damon Lindelof, The Peter Weyland Files, deleted and alternate scenes and the Weyland Corp Archive Second Screen with app functionality), a third Blu-ray of extras (including the The Furious Gods: Making Prometheus documentary, scores of Enhancement Pods, more Weyland Corp Archive, Pre-Viz material and screen tests) and finally the DVD/Digital Copy disc. Here's the key - the 2-disc set includes only the 2D movie disc and the DVD/Digital Copy disc. You don't get the bonus disc of supplements. So if you want absolutely everything, you have to get the 4-disc set. Both versions street next week on 10/9. Just so you know."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:51:50 AM PDT
Brian, thanks for this link. Though they reference deleted and alternate scenes, they still say nothing about an extended cut. Bummer!!!

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 12:19:17 AM PDT
Brian says:
I looked at Best Buy today. Ended up buying the 3D version for the special features. Both versions had stuff. I think that maybe only the 3D version had the big 3˝ hour documentary. Both had the commentary, and alternate beginning and endings.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 6:55:58 AM PDT
Brian, did any version have an "extended cut" of the film, or just some extra scenes set off by themselves? If the latter, it's a disappointment...

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 1:07:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 1:08:08 PM PDT
Ridley Scott is known for putting out many Director's Cuts AFTER the theatrical version has been released. So if there really is an extended Prometheus cut, just wait. And if you watch the deleted scenes, surely it will be a good indicator of whether or not an extended version would be good, or just merely longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 1:28:32 PM PDT
I checked out the DVD and BR versions of Prometheus at Best Buy today and found out that the DVD has the deleted and extended scenes only -- NO director's commentary! I call BS on that. And the BR/DVD package is much more Prometheus than I need, given what a flawed movie the theatrical cut was. So I'm with you, Ross -- I'll wait until a Director's Cut comes out. Humbug!

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:13:33 PM PDT
L. Tolbert says:
I just want to hear the commentaries. Are there any commentaries on the regular dvd(disc 2)?
Or are the comments only on the Blue-Ray?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 3:27:23 PM PDT
NO commentaries on the single-disc DVD release. Only on -- I presume -- the BR in the BR/DVD 2- or 3-disc set. Personally I think this STINKS!

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 10:25:39 PM PDT
joeyjoe says:
get the 4 disc blu ray collectors set. It has everything (one of the most expansive blu ray sets ive ever owned) and can be found for virtually the same price as the dvd. As far as an extended cut of prometheus is concerned... Some people seem to be a bit confused. Ridley scott has stated explicitly and consistently that the theatrical release of the film was the "directors cut" and as such, he never intended to include an alternate cut of the film on the blu ray. We get 30+ mins of deleted scenes (blu rays only).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 7:58:29 AM PDT
Joey, I remember Scott saying that the theatrical release was the "director's cut" -- in response to reporters' questions, presumably occasioned by their sense that much was lacking from the film as released. But I could swear that some time after the film's theatrical release, I saw stories in which Scott said there would be an extended cut on the BluRay. I would rather see that than the theatrical release, augmented by a side order of deleted scenes accessible separately. And in my opinion, Prometheus as it stands now -- gorgeous to look at as it may be -- is not worth a 4-disc BR set.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 6:00:24 PM PDT
L. Tolbert says:
I don't own a BR and have no intention of buying a device that will be obsolete soon (as everything goes digital) just to watch DVD extras. I also don't want to buy a four disc set that will have all the extras included in a 2 disc set in 6 months. I just have to settle for the lovely looking theatrical cut until Scott makes up his mind what he wants to do.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Prometheus (Blu-ray/ DVD + Digital Copy)
Prometheus (Blu-ray/ DVD + Digital Copy) by Noomi Rapace (Blu-ray - 2012)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (4,772)