Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 1:14:17 PM PST
ANDREW H. says:
why is it so hard to find any kind of specs info on this? resolution? bits? a clear explanation of the controllers? etc.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 3:16:49 PM PST
Jordan Jones says:
try this http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Tech_Specs

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:03:05 PM PST
jomojomo says:
naw, that ign site is b.s. the only thing that is known for sure is this: http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-ram-is-43-slower-than-ps3360-ram

Nintendo refuses to release specs except in the vaguest terms. In real world comparisons, you can look at this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off
and this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mass-effect-3-wii-u-face-off

TL:DR: wii u is more modern and energy efficient, but it is only as powerful as current generation consoles.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:04:50 AM PST
You might want to check out the "Iwata Asks" articles on the Wii U. There you can hear Mr. Iwata talk with the engineering team behind the Wii U about how they came up with the design and what the reasoning was behind it. It'll also give you a good feel for the technical aspects of console and Gamepad design.

People get too caught up on specs that are largely meaningless. The important "specs" to me are, 1. Does it have games I want to play? 2. Can I afford it? 3. Can I get one? The answer to all three questions to me was 'yes' and I'm happy with my Wii U.

If you're only buying something that has the absolute best specs then you'll buy a gaming PC and be replacing it (or it's core components anyway) every few weeks or months as newer, more advanced tech with better specs comes along. If you want to play Super Mario Brothers Wii U, Zombie U, Pikmin 3, the next Zelda, then you'll need a Wii U regardless of the specs. If you only want to buy the console with the best specs, then look for the next gen Playstation 4 or X-Box 720. They may have the specs you want, but they won't have the games I want. I buy consoles for the games and not the specs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 11:18:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 11:33:16 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Yeah, to sort of answer you and add to what jomojomo said...

Resolution:
-it'll probably be hitting 720p like the other two consoles, 1080p? Maybe, but we don't know much yet about that GPU, to know how realistic that is.
-bits? If you mean like 32-bit, 64-bit, etc., that doesn't mean much anymore, hasn't for a long time.

It's best to think of the Wii U as a current gen competitor to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. i.e. this is something that could of come out in 2005, and will not be comparable to the next gen consoles Sony and Microsoft release in a year. It's looking like the Wii U's CPU is quite a bit worse than the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3's CPU (apparently it's a slow clocked 3 core version of the same CPU the Gamecube and Wii use), but the GPU may be better...though not drastically so.

Controllers-it comes with that main one with a 6.2" screen, and games can optionally use original Wii controllers or the new Wii Pro controller which basically is similar to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 controllers. Originally you were only going to be able to use a single controller with a screen, but Nintendo's acted like next year they may enable support for 2 of those controllers at once, though to do so they'll have to cut the frame rate for each in half. Games can optionally display to the screen on the controller, which is kind of a neat idea, although it's lower resolution than an HDTV.

EDIT: Oh and this might have been mentioned, but apparently the Wii U has more RAM than the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, or Vita, but it's much slower.

So probably...it's just different than the other two. And yeah, but it if you want the exclusives, but expect this to be a repeat of the Wii-it's last gen hardware competing against massively more powerful systems that get most of the serious development. (i.e. the Xbox 3 and Playstation 4 will most likely be the typical ~10x generational leap over the Wii U/Vita/Xbox 360/PlayStation). Buy it as a supplement to the Playstion 4 and Xbox 3 in other words.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about