Most helpful positive review
26 of 26 people found the following review helpful
Great product but there are some catches...
on July 31, 2014
YES, I read all the terrible reviews and took the dive anyway. We moved from a rental house to a condo that we bought, so we left our old 50-footer standard hose behind; just no room for it. It's been 3 weeks of almost daily use and this Xhose Pro has been great. I'll note a few things though, because for the convenience factor, you have to baby this more than your usual garden hose, that's the trade-off. If you're willing to accept that, then it's a worthwhile purchase. If not, buy a regular hose. Some of this is my own version of preventative maintenance:
- It has less pressure than a normal hose, it's part of the design, you gotta live with it. For watering plants and washing cars, it's fine. Don't go thinking it'll pressure-wash the side of your house.
- DO NOT turn your water faucet/spigot on all the way, usually a quarter to half a turn works for me. The less pressure, the less chance of this thing popping!
- You can't keep it pressurized too long. Spray, and when you're doing something else, turn off the faucet and release the water pressure. I've never gone more than a few minutes keeping this hose pressurized. It's a pain, but it seems to work.
- I do drain the water after each use, but I don't believe in completely drying it out. Seems like the rubber-like material inside might suffer from that. So I store it in a sealed plastic container when not in use; technically storing the hose in a damp environment. This also makes it easier to carry the hose from the garage-side to the patio-side of the condo without spilling water everywhere.
- The brass connectors actually have 2 sections that can unscrew. I plan to loc-tite the section closest to the hose on both ends to stop those from loosening (you'll never need to actually undo those anyway).
- Even with a spray nozzle attached, this thing is light and fits in one hand. It's pretty awesome.
- Watching it expand and contract is so amusing. And yes it's true, it never kinks.
Again, if all this sounds too OCD for you, then don't buy it.
I reserve the right to change my mind and my rating as time goes by, but it deserves 5 stars for now. I hated rolling up our old green hose!