what does the U stand for? what's the difference between SB5101 and SB5101U?
asked by dejalu on January 5, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-17 of 17 answers
A
The U doesnt have a SPI flash support for future upgrades
James Ma answered on March 7, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Do these modems support Vista, Windows 7 and eventually 8? I already have a Vista and the only information I could find on this, is that they support up to XP.
Suchadear answered on October 20, 2012

A
If your system has an Ethernet port that is supported by your operating system, you will be fine. If your system has WiFi that is supported by your operating system, you can untether your system by adding a wireless broadband router. I don't bother with USB and special drivers, but it's nice to know I have that option if I ever need it.
jedi_nitemare answered on October 31, 2012

A
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/Products/Modems%20and%20Gateways/Modems/Cable%20Modems/SB5101/_Documents/Static%20Files/541726-001-a.pdf

This info from Motorola shows the SB5101 without USB and the SB5101U with USB. If you saw a non-U SB5101 with USB, it's possible that it was mislabeled or Motorola changed the specs somewhere along the way.
jedi_nitemare answered on October 31, 2012

A
Just a quick fyi Rob the SB5101 also has a USB connection, not just the SB5101U.
Scatt3rbrain answered on March 11, 2010
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I was asking myself the same question. I found this on the Motorola site, after a bit of digging:
"Capable of downloading up to 2000 times faster than 56k analog phone modems; up to 4 times faster than DOCSIS 2.0 broadband cable modemsOptional Installation Assistant available (models SB5101U/UE) on CD-ROM guides you through installation on the PC " -- SB5101.
I would infer from this that the difference is in the CD (the U indicates it has the install help?) and, further, that the 5101 is indeed DOCSIS 3.0 capable, if and when that is rolled out and we want to pay extra for it.
Mark Plimsoll answered on February 21, 2010
Comment | 2 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Mar 24, 2012 7:35:16 PM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product