can you stream a dvd being played on my superdrive to my new iMac to a tv hooked up with apple tv?
asked by Lazymary on March 13, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
I bought this for my stepson and we watch dvd's all the time from our Macbook. I would think you would be able to.
HiE4me answered on March 13, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, you have to think that whatever is being shown is your iMac screen will be showing in the TV by the AppleTV bridge.
Luis Elizondo answered on March 13, 2013

A
it's possible with the latest MacOS (Mountain Lion). With this MacOS you can do what it's called a desktop Mirroring. So whatever you see on the iMac screen will be on the TV through the Apple TV; just like the iPhone and iPad mirroring.
Sherif Ahmed answered on March 16, 2013

A
Yes. AirPlay and mirroring allows the content of the MacOS and iOS to be displayed on the TV via Apple TV. As long as the unit is loged onto the same home-sharing network, and linked to the Apple TV.
Just one thing, though I haven't tried it, I understand that the media has to be controlled from the computer itself. The Apple TV will only provide a magnified display of whatever is on the computer screen.
Thomas Bangash answered on April 20, 2013

A
No, you can't do that LEGALLY. There are third party apps which will allow you to get around this but it is still considered illegal for you to play DVD's that you have produced or bought legally through your Mac computer onto another monitor. Lodge complaints with MPAA.
Foster answered on March 13, 2013
Comments (3) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, you can't do that with the Apple TV.
You could make a copy of the DVD (using Handbrake for example) making sure it is an iTunes compatible format such as .m4v. Handbrake has presets for Apple devices to make it easier for you. Then import the file into iTunes on your MacBook and it will show up in your iTunes library on Apple TV using Homesharing. Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space if you plan on doing this to more than a few DVDs though.
Gordon Ross answered on March 13, 2013
Comment (1) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Mar 13, 2013 11:39:36 AM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›