What is the cooking surface made from? I see the house is stainless steel but no mention of the cooking surface materials. Is it non-toxic?
asked by Princess Bubblegum on April 28, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
Teflon. It may be BPA Free as someone said but that does not mean it is 100% safe. All teflon has The chemical - called perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA - is used to make compounds called fluoropolymers, which are used in turn to make Teflon and other products like oil and water-repellent coatings on carpet, textiles, leather and paper. If you cook at very high temperatures some of the chemicals can be released in the air as carcinogens. That said, I use my 5-1 Griddler often and just make sure I don't turn the heat way up. It's just another thing for us to worry about. The FDA came out with this over 14 yrs ago and still has done nothing one way or the other.
N.S. answered on March 5, 2014
Comment | 6 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The cooking surface is made of hard anodized non-stick. On the box it says BPA Free,(non-toxic) and it's also in the description on the Cuisinart website. That was a big concern for me also. They really should have included BPA Free in the product description on Amazon.
Shelley answered on April 28, 2013
Comment (1) | 7 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Teflon is a brand, this is not Teflon! Yes it is BPA free. Yes it does contain PFOA. The product is called Xylan. It is FDA approved. I will die from eating sausage patties that I intend to make on it before the coating will kill me! Don't be an alarmist, call Cuisinart! Great customer service! Oh, she said watch out if you have small birds in close to where you are using it. That's why I haven't self cleaned my oven yet, I have a dog and a husband and it is winter...

P.S. You should smell my new oven when I turn it on!
sukibabe answered on December 14, 2014
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There's no mention in the manuals or on the plates either. There are no California-type warnings anywhere on it or in the manual.
NeverEnoughToys answered on April 28, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It is similar to the ceramic coating on my Cuisinart cookware. It is not like any of the Teflon grills I have seen.
Howard answered on April 28, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
its seem to be the same material that the foreman grills are made of but much thinner
NUT LOVER answered on April 28, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Shelley is correct. The plates are as non-toxic as any cooking surface can be these days--until perhaps some other health risk is discovered for non-stick cooking surfaces.
DaffyD answered on April 28, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The surfaces (top and bottom) are non-stick on both sides and are interchangeable between a grill and griddle. I do not know about it being non-toxic, as that is not listed anywhere. Cleaning the plates are rather easy and come with a plastic flip/scrape tool.
Anvil answered on April 28, 2013
Comment (1) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product