Is the tuner, on/off switch easy to see for an elderly person with failing eyesight?
asked by Lori & Chris Trinche on December 15, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
votes
The ON/OFF switch is on one side of the radio and can easily be FELT by someone with poor eyesight. In my opinion the TUNER would be difficult for someone with poor eyesight to see. It is not back lit and it is not large.
totallyfrozen answered on February 27, 2013

A
votes
No
G. Williams answered on February 25, 2013

A
votes
Dial is small. Tuner and O/O is easy to find and use.
luee answered on January 10, 2013

A
votes
Hi Lori and Chris,

I'm also older and wear progressive lenses. I don't seem to have trouble seeing the various functions - basically 2 wheels and 1 switch.

The Volume wheel is on the left side of the radio, near the top. This wheel also clicks the radio on an off (to click to off, turn the wheel all the way down). Below the Volume wheel is a small hole for a headset or an earpiece. There's also an antenna on the left side, behind the Volume wheel and the headset hole, which tucks neatly into the radio when not extended.

The Tuning wheel is on the right side, near the top. Below that is the Band switch, which lets you push up for FM and down for AM. I basically only listen to FM so I keep the switch in the FM position all the time, leaving me with one less thing to do.

I hope this helps. I always look for the simplest electronics I can find because I'm not especially technology friendly.

If you do have problems seeing these, you might try to memorize where they are (basically only three functions) or, if all else fails, you can try to find a radio with larger options/functions.

Good luck!
Joan A. Hussey answered on December 17, 2012

A
votes
Yes, it is on the left side of the radio. Just dail it down to turn on + volume and dial up to turn off - volume.
J. Sykes answered on December 17, 2012

A
votes
This radio should be very easy for an elderly person to operate. Just knowing that the on/off switch is on the left & the tuner is located on the right should be of considerable help. I remember the older radios had both switches on one side and if that were the case it could be difficult for an elderly person. I feel this radio should be fine, easy to hold and very easy to operate. Good luck!
Raggles answered on December 17, 2012

A
votes
Yes most definitely
Kev answered on December 16, 2012

A
votes
Yes, this is a traditional style hand held radio. I think the sound is crisp and very clear. Once you know where the switch is it will be simple to turn on/off
Ms. Lewis answered on December 16, 2012

A
votes
Yes! I can't see anything without my reading glasses, but this radio is easy to operate. The On/Off Volume wheel is on the left edge of the radio and the Tuner wheel is on the right edge. The Tuner numbered window bar on the front is printed with fairly large white numbers on a black background. So all in all, it is very easy to work, even with "fuzzy eyes". Good luck, I think you would like this unit a lot.
Jasmine answered on December 15, 2012

A
votes
The on and Off dial is on the left and it also controls the volume and the one
on the right is the turner. So all you have to do is feels the dial and up push it up to
turn off and on. Seeing the the station you want might be a little harder to see but it
still is just pushing the dial up and down.
Shirley J. answered on December 15, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›