Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > The Giver (Giver Quartet) forum

For teachers: What is attractive about this book for adolescents?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2010 7:31:01 PM PST
MaryH says:
I'm a senior in college doing a research project on The Giver and the way it resonates with adolescent readers, so if any of you teachers out there who have taught this book would be willing to answer a few questions or just make some comments, I'd really appreciate it.

1. What about this book really attracts adolescents? What do they identify with most or least?
2. How do you think this book has managed to remain popular to youth in 25 years on the shelves?
3. What about the representation of adolescence in the book do you find most or least like reality?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2010 11:45:14 AM PDT
M. Fuka says:
from a K-12 librarian......defying authority and supporting what is right attracts kids, the discussions on MANY subjects that this book has sparked......these themes never age....the sacrifices that Jonas made are a lot to ask of a kid....
ps- parents had this excellent book pulled from my Jr. High reading curriculum....they want kids to think....just not TOO much!

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 6:14:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 2, 2010 5:27:11 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Giver
The Giver by Lois Lowry (Paperback - January 24, 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars (8,313)