Any tell-tale signs you bought a bootleg?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 107 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 24, 2010 1:48:22 PM PDT
I purchased a bootleg set through a Craigslist ad as a used set. As a Beatle fanatic and owner of many legitimate Asian copies of CDs from various artists, I have to admit that I was taken in. But, at the same time, in comparing the 1987 issues with these bootlegs, I was surprised at the sound quality, even with legitimate Beatle issues from Japan that I presently own. Apparently, I was lucky to get a set that had excellent sound quality. I did play the discs through a Carver 1185 Integrated Pro-Logic Amp hooked up to a pair of Jamo tower speakers. The quality was unsurpassed. In further investigation, I had a legitimate copy of the new version of "Please Please Me" and compared it with the boot. I could tell no difference in sound quality. I realize that some here have probably been disappointed by being ripped off if they paid a lot of money for their boots, thinking they were legitimate. I didn't pay that much for my box set. For a number of years, I've collected many bootleg copies of music made by various artists because of my interest and curiosity in the creation of the music by the artists, including the Beatles. However, I've always believed that the artists and record companies should have fought back by releasing legitimate copies of these recordings which are usually better quality when remastered by these companies. My plan is to eventually buy the legitimate box set when it comes down in price or to buy the discs individually. But for now, the boots will suffice. I do recommend buyer beware, because the boots you purchase may have poor sound quality and you should stick to the legitimate product. In hindsight, I could kick myself for this purchase, but since I have to live with it, I may as well enjoy it until I replace it.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 1:51:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 24, 2010 1:52:16 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 2:14:11 PM PDT
D. B. Parker says:
Well, it's not hard to come up with an exact duplicate of a CD. That's the beauty of digital. You could have saved yourself some trouble and downloaded the files off the internet and gotten the same result soundwise. In either case, no money goes to the deserving artists. And no, I don't advocate such behavior, and don't do it myself, but, sadly, it's rampant these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2010 2:17:52 PM PDT
I bought my box set from Craigslist for $75.00. I thought I was purchasing a "used" set. I found out after it arrived that it was a boot set. But it was better than what you've described. I suppose I did get lucky there. The CDs had quality packaging similar to the legitimate packaging, but the poster and "postcards" were missing from the "White Album". There were also misspellings on some of the packaging and labels, but the sound was much better than some of the legitimate Japanese Beatle CDs that I own. I've explained this on a later comment.

Apparently, there are quality boots and poor quality boots out there. If you think you're getting a good deal, you're taking a chance! The boots I bought had excellent sound quality and good packaging. I guess I lucked out. Others may not be so lucky! Buyer beware! It's best to buy the legitimate item.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2010 2:33:21 PM PDT
At the time, I thought I was purchasing a legitimate used set of CD's. When I received them, they sounded fine and at first glance, looked legitimate.

I don't advocate this behavior either and with dial up, it's not practical for me to download any files anyway. I didn't realize I had purchased a counterfeit set until I reached the Magical Mystery Tour CD when I saw a poor image of the Capitol logo on the CD label. Then I came here to check this out. Most of the boots that I've purchased in the past have had terrible sound quality. These are usually available at record shows and flea markets. I have a few in my collection, but rarely listen to them as most are not listenable but were interesting at the time of purchase and historic in the development of the artist. These Beatle boots were the exception.

However, there are others posting here that really got burned with a really poor quality product, which is why it's important to buy the legitimate product for the higher price and I'll eventually do this myself.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 3:40:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2010 3:42:46 PM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Vintage,
I note your comments about the sound quality on the bootleg issue. When I bought my Stereo boxset originally on Ebay (for a "cheap price" as well) I noted that the sound quality was pretty good. That wasn't the issue. The problem was the poor packaging, errors and missing items. When I buy CD's & DVD's I expect them to be genuine, intact and "as advertised". If something is wrong with the item or if something is missing then that spoils the whole experience for me & I'm sure many others feel the same. By comparison the real thing is miles ahead of the boot in terms of overall quality..the covers are roomier for a start so the discs aren't jammed into their sleeves. The other thing is the horrible sinking feeling one gets when he/she feels dudded. I got lucky with mine and was able to return it & get a full refund WITH an apology from the seller (thanks Paypal). But looking at the aftersale feedback for some of the Ebay sellers flogging this pirated set, I get the impression that many of those who bought these cheap imitations are totally oblivious to it and don't realise what they have in their hands is a fake.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 3:50:18 PM PDT
Snakeskins says:
i listened through some of mine and abbey road did that fft ffft fffft ffft ffffft thing taht some older cds seem to do with age, so they dont seem to be good copies. i torrented the flacs honestly, and they sound great. so i will say, it seems the cd quality itself is crap. and the mono remasters sound is so sick, im telling u, they are so amazing. the muscle that gets lost in the stereo is really strong. Paperback Writer is like... Heavy!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2010 6:53:04 PM PDT
I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate the person that sold me my bootleg. I bought it on Craigslist and met the person in a parking lot. When I got home and realized that I had a boot, it was too late. I didn't know how to get back in touch because we contacted each other through e-mail on where to meet to make the transaction. They wiped the ad immediately and wouldn't respond to my return e-mails. Still, for $75.00, I could have been ripped off with a poor sound quality boot. As for eBay, these sellers should be banned from the site for selling fake merchandise or at least, reported to the proper authorities.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2010 7:03:25 PM PDT
I noticed a lack of bass in Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour. However, bass was strong in the previous albums of the stereo box set such as Revolver and Rubber Soul. I'm curious about the mono mix from Rubber Soul to the White Album. I understand that there was a mono mix for Abbey Road that was only available in Brazil. At the same time, I've also been told that that version was originally a stereo mixdown to mono, but was a legitimate Beatle album there. The last time I checked on this, this CD was booking for about $60.00 on various websites.

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 5:02:36 PM PDT
A. Mohtashem says:
Can I trust some 3rd party sellers on Amazon?

The $102 seems too good to be true

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 8:41:21 PM PDT
Noggster says:
nope. I did the same thing and received a bootleg. Not worth it really.

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 1:24:37 AM PDT
I unkowingly purchased a counterfeit stereo remasters box set last December on eBay for $130. After opening the package, I became suspicious because of the cheap cellophane shrink wrap, poor printing & audio quality on several of the discs. After doing some research online, I realized it was counterfeit, especially when I saw the red pull-tabs & the Chinese logo on the DVD. Fortunately my seller let me return it for a full refund.

Today, I purchased a stereo remasters box set at a local Borders store with a 40% off coupon (total: $155 before taxes). I opened it in the store to make sure it was legit. Sure enough everything was much higher quality, from the lack of printing errors to the lack of a Chinese logo on the DVD. The real box set also came with several liner notes booklets that were missing in the counterfeit set. The real kicker was the quality of the sound when I played it on my stereo. Wow!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2010 6:16:39 PM PDT
I can live with the misspellings. I've gone through over half of the cds & so far so good on sound quality. I'm very impressed with my bootleg. I'll keep it. Beats paying $250 at Best Buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2010 6:36:55 PM PDT
D. B. Parker says:
Yeah, ethics are for losers...

Posted on Mar 31, 2010 6:46:00 PM PDT
Mark, how much did you pay for your counterfeit fake set? You can buy them directly from the Chinese source for only $19. If you spent over $50 you got totally ripped off.
You can buy the legitimate set at Borders for $155 with a coupon. That's way less than $250.
Enjoy your fake set. Be careful with the box; it will fall apart easily. And don't breathe the toxic printing fumes.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 11:54:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2010 11:55:07 PM PDT
NT says:
I downloaded the FLAC files from a torrent site and saved myself $250. So no, I didn't get a bootleg. Did I? :D

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2010 4:55:35 AM PDT
R. Speaks says:
Way to advertise your lack of integrity to the internet. If you had any courage you'd walk into Best Buy, pick up the Apple USB, snip off the security device and walk out. Instead you took the cowardly anonymous route...and felt you needed to brag about it.

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 9:12:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2010 11:57:15 AM PDT
Mr. Mustard says:
Agreed, Speaks. No wonder music industry sales are suffering. As a musician, I find it appalling that anyone would rip off music for free, unless of course the artist gives it away as such.

Plus, hopefully they do a vinyl release too. Good luck ripping that.

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 10:58:05 AM PDT
I just purchased a Mono Box from an Amazon Marketplace seller. I was suspicious about the low price...$135 or so...but did it anyway.
I'm still suspicious. The wrapping on the box looked like a re-wrapping. Magical Mystery Tour was folded backwards and doesn't have a slip for a disc. And the inside of the box seemed a bit disheveled.
But it sounds great, and there don't seem to be any of the other indicators.
I'm especially curious if anyone else has the same problem with MMT...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2010 4:59:20 PM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Ahley,
The low price is probably the first indicator given how pricey the Monos were on release. MMT folded backward?? How do you mean? Was the cover folded back over itself. No slip for the disc? The MMT cover is a replica of the US LP with the 24 page booklet attached...was the booklet included and do they all have replica UK paper inner sleeves (aside from Past Masters) with plastic CD inners? They also all should have outer protective plastic resealable sleeves & a 40+ page booklet. My Mono box is in superb condition and the quality is obvious from the get go. Look for spelling & track listing mistakes on the covers..eg on Revolver Harrisun, Harrieon, Ringo Start. McCarrimy etc. These were on the stereo. Does the White Album have the Mini Poster & Portraits included? The sound quality was good on the pirated stereo so it won't really be an indicator.

Posted on Apr 18, 2010 11:18:13 AM PDT
Peter -
What I mean is that the outer cover of MMT was folded so that it was inside...and the outside cover was inside.
Other than that, when you say paper inner sleeves, I assume you mean that there is a replica of each individual album cover of the original UK albums. yes. But there are no paper inner sleeves for each CD, however there are plastic protective inner sleeves for each of the CDs. But there are not outer protective sleeves for each of the individual covers.
The White Album has "The Beatles" embossed on cover, and poster and each individual photo is there.
there are no misspellings or mistakes on track listings that I have discovered.

Posted on Apr 18, 2010 12:24:09 PM PDT
Just to be clear. My Mono Box has individual replicas of each of the original UK albums. They are individually protected by plastic slipcovers, however. The CDs are each protected by a clear plastic inner sleeve that slides into each respective album cover...but there is not an additional paper inner sleeve...only the plastic slip case to protect the CD.

Posted on Apr 18, 2010 8:07:23 PM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Ashley,
From memory my Mono's were housed in plastic inner sleeves but the replica paper inners were also inside the cover so if you look again you may find them... just that originally the plastics weren't housed inside the paper sleeves.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 9:45:56 AM PDT
Zucco says:
I'm a bit late to this discussion, and I wish I had seen the thread before I made my purchase. I bought a Mono set for around $100, and the individual cases are not glued together well. However, there are no red tabs and no misspellings. All the booklets and pictures are included, and to my ears the sound quality is terrific. But I probably still received a bootleg, right?

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 2:30:54 PM PDT
Mr. Mustard says:
Zucco

That doesn't sound like a Mono set to me. No tabs or individual booklets with the Mono box.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  45
Total posts:  107
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings)
The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) by The Beatles (Audio CD - 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (949)