Customer Discussions > A Thousand Splendid Suns forum

tenth grade reading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2008 7:51:34 PM PDT
K. James says:
is Thousand Splendid Suns appropriate reading for incoming tenth graders?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2008 11:30:40 PM PDT
It depends on how "appropriate" is defined.

Obviously you are having reservations, so it is better to be safe and not make it part of the reading list. The strong sexual references and violence make it different than classics with sex and violence in them--no classics descriptions of sex or violence are so graphically described so often.

This is a great book, but I think it was made with a mature audience in mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2008 8:43:12 AM PST
P.K. Lipson says:
I don't think in America. I think it would be better to read the book later for some teens but you know, teens these days seem to have their act together, so it might be a good life lesson or at least something to think about and discuss. I said not at first because it seems that any maturity and perspective would help to appreciate it more.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 8:16:09 PM PST
drdriller100 says:
I'm encouraging my seventh grader to read the book. However, my son knows people have sex, there are wars in the world, and there is often more then one side to most stories.
The sex is not graphic. It does allude to premarital sex, but there are huge consequences, so I hardly think it will encourage teenage sex.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 8:17:04 PM PST
drdriller100 says:
I'm encouraging my seventh grader to read the book. However, my son knows people have sex, there are wars in the world, and there is often more then one side to most stories.
The sex is not graphic. It does allude to premarital sex, but there are huge consequences, so I hardly think it will encourage teenage sex.

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 11:07:44 PM PDT
I've taught 10th graders (particularly gifted ones), but I've found when trying to discuss difficult issues with them, some parents are shocked by the controversy. While I really liked the book (I mean really, really liked it for many reasons), I'd probably reserve it for the senior year. All this being said, it is a very important book about a place in the world we need to know more about. The issues of illegitimacy and women's roles are also most relevant to kids. I couldn't put it down and am haunted by the painful stories.

Posted on May 12, 2009 7:16:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2009 7:20:45 AM PDT
Soo Jin Cho says:
I am only an 7th grader(this is my mother's ID.) and I'm not even an American. But I believe I have understood the depth and the meaning of this book. I could not help myself crying when I read the part where Laila visits Mariam's Kolba and imagines young Mariam calling Laila's name. Prematural sex...Rasheed's violence... might make this book inappropriate, but it is portrayed fairly negatively. If an 7th grader can read this, then a 10th grade will surely have no problem reading this book.
This is such a heart-breaking novel, and it is absolutely unfair that teenagers should miss this great book just because some inappropriate things are in it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2008
Latest post:  May 12, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Paperback - November 25, 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (3,457)