Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2011 11:18:45 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
Thanks for sharing your humor with the masses that will make me look like a lunatic on the train, or maybe even while I'm driving...or doing surgery.
It just seems time that the funniest person alive writes a book, too.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 5:57:20 AM PDT
Minilith says:
Agreed, the funniest person on the face of the Earth, ever. When my wife and I were dating, the fact that we both felt Lost in America was one of the funniest movies ever, sealed the deal. A true auteurist in film, now a futurist in print. Albert Brooks for President!

Posted on May 9, 2011 7:53:36 AM PDT
wlipman says:
Albert Brooks is a binary--either you get him, or you don't. For those of us who fall into the former category, this book is simply a wonderful, read-it-in-one-sitting treat. To put it differently, imagine a David McCullough book that could be a read-in-one-sitting treat: this is comparable to that impossible to achieve feat. Indeed, Thank You Albert!

Posted on May 14, 2011 4:43:04 PM PDT
mike shuman says:
Loved this book, love Albert Brooks. Am dying to discuss plot points more, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 2:08:41 PM PDT
DS from LA says:
I respectfully disagree. I "get" Albert Brooks and love his movies... I've seen Defending Your Life, Lost in America, Modern Romance numerous times and always enjoy them. This book, however, was not funny, and I don't think he was even attempting to be funny. Which wouldn't itself be a problem - I don't mind comedians trying to do something serious once in a while - if it weren't so badly executed. I found the writing pedestrian, the dialogue completely unrealistic and exposition-driven, and the characters one-dimensional and uninteresting. A tremendous disappointment... and believe me, I wanted to love it.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:24:06 AM PDT
Dear Albert;
Your Distopian view is well presented and entertaining to read. It serves well as a critique of what's happening and how you feel about the issues of the day..
Fair enough. I take issue with your belief in the power and abilities of China. They have a more serious demographic problem than we do. You have ignored that very important fact.
Immigration makes up for our low fertility rate and they don't allow it. What will date your book is your over inflated view of China. We will have plenty of evidence to prove that they do not do it better.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Mar 28, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America
2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America by Albert Brooks (Hardcover - May 10, 2011)
3.7 out of 5 stars (471)