Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2009 11:21:32 PM PDT
sunny says:
great book....don't know if it's the book or hot weather that's reduced my appetite but I KNOW I'll never eat Chili's or places like it again.....or wander thru the endless aisles of junk at the market...I'm wondering how much play the book will get on the networks, since their sponsors are Doritos etc. Has anyone seen
Dr. Kessler on mainstream morning shows, etc.? I saw him on Bill Maher and he was very guarded about some of his thesis...namely that food companies consciously create all that fattening stuff very very deliberately.

Posted on Jun 1, 2009 1:58:03 AM PDT
LJ says:
I haven't seen this book promoted at all - just came across it on Amazon. It should be required reading for every person in the US who eats! Good grief - what an eye opening book For all of the chemistry and trickery that is going on behind our backs while we depend on this stuff to feed and grow ourselves and kids - it's just terrible. I normally avoid a great deal of the obvious junk out there but this book really opened my eyes about even foods that I assumed were pretty much okay to consume.

Everyone needs to read this book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2009 4:02:29 AM PDT
RI Girl says:
I couldn't agree more. This book hit home for me and I'm getting three more copies to send to people who struggle with the love of sugar, fat and salt. And one for my nutritionist who is very savvy but i bet she hasn't read this one, I think I have made that Perception Critical Shift in my head. It is amazing how I look at menus, deli food and supermarket marketing now It shows up in my grocery cart and I'm feeling great about it.

Ginny

Posted on Oct 25, 2009 2:07:27 PM PDT
luxury girl says:
I saw Dr. Kessler on Charlie Rose, bought the book and really do believe it will help me to change my eating habits.

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 4:43:38 PM PST
I saw Dr. Kessler on Oprah, and so I got the book. I had read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" a couple years earlier by another author. The two together really cover from how the raw materials of food are produced to how they end up on our plate. Very scary stuff, but I'm happy I know all of it now so I make better choices for grocery shopping and eating out. Mindless Eating and Volumetrics are two other exellent choices. I have lost 40 pounds so far and am having a far easier time of it than I ever have because of the knowledge gained from these 4 books.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 7:01:21 AM PDT
Dr. Kessler's book tells us over and over again that the food industry works assiduously to engineer food for flavor, that it injects extra layers of fat, sugar and salt into everything in order to cajole us into eating more. This should not be news to anybody. However, while his credentials for this undertaking are as enviable as they are impressive, he speaks only fleetingly about easy access to food and lab experiments in which imposing obstacles to food are surmounted by rats intent upon eating. He does not once acknowledge that American food policy forces farmers to produce in surplus in order that consumer food be cheap or that the greatest brake on American appetites of his father's and mother's generation was cost. Unfortunately, cheap food means a polluted environment: the true cost of farming is externalized into our lakes and rivers in the form of toxic herbicides and nitrogen and phosphorous fertilizers made with petroleum. High farm yields drive down the cost of food not just at the supermarket but on the farm; our farmers are producing so much that prices are in many cases (dairy) below the cost of production and they struggling to make ends meet. I wonder how delicious and irresistible an extra helping of cheesecake or quarter pounder with cheese would be if farmers were to switch organic and if consumer costs tripled in order to keep chemicals out of the lake?

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 6:07:24 PM PDT
I looked over the reviews and frankly I am not impressed one bit to even think about reading this book. didn't read all the review considering how many there are but almost half, I wonder why people give reviews before they have had a chance to even apply the advice in it to see if it is sound? they read it is sounds plausible and give a good review when they have not applied it. tho a few did mention this is the same diet advice that has been going around for like forever. ditto, and being a past employee of the fda means absolutly nothing, have you not been keeping track of the kinds of people who are appointed in positions in dept who are unqualified?

I did want to comment why fat sugar and salt makes us eat more. one reason if I my research and experiences has any merit is that these uaually are comsumed in low quality foods low in phytochemicals, minerals and vitamins and the like. it is not the fats sugar that is making you eat more is the fact you didn't consume any vita minerals or phytochemicals the body needs. of course that would depend on what fats and sugar your talking about there are two kinds of fat man made (the crap that will kill you) and the natural fats. you have sugar that is processed (might as well say manmade) and sugar that is made naturally by the creator himself who would know better than anyone what is good for us. natural fats come with a package of lots of minerals and vitamins and other chemicals they have not even scratch the surface of what they do, and so do natural sugars like fruit, and starchy veggies and whole grains.

fats and sugar are the energy drivers of our systems without it we would die, your body produces atp (our energy powerhouse chemical) from fat or sugar. naturally we will be drawn to them, addiction to food applies to most people that is natural. we are all addicted to air and water and sleep too, get less than you need and you suffer withdrawls. we cannot equate food addictions with drug addictions considering you need to eat and food addictions keep you alive otherwise you would not eat enough on time or enough and starve to death before you realize you should of been eating more food. drug addictions have no such benefit.

most obeisty, which is hard to believe, is caused by undereating, or famines. in america that is either from dieting efforts to lose weight and keep it off, or eating the fat sugar and salt that is empty of any nutrients you need. you crave what you need.if your craving the junky fat and sugar that is empty find out why. have you been dieting latly? have you missed meals or left the table still a little hungry becuase your trying not to gain more wieght than you have? have you been eating low quality stuff to much of the time, that are nutrient deficient? if yes to any of this this is why your craving this stuff (and I don't discount the chemicals added to process foods like msg and probably alot others.)

stop blaming the junk food and start looking for what your not eating, not what you are eating. are you eating enough fruits everyday? veggies, whole grains, whole milk and diary which in studies show that many people lose weight just by drinking more mik, eating more dairy products (tho the studies used low fat product) without even dieting. are you making nice meals for yourself? are you doing research on the net about good healthy recipes? I did some research about leptin and found something interesting, while fat and sugar did cause leptin release, protein had the highest affect on it. and when you combine natural sugars and fatty foods (like bacon for instance or whole milk) the leptin response was increased 2 or 3 times as much as for just sugar or fat alone.

leptin is your long term storage hormone it takes weeks or months for it to have an affect on the weight because your brain is measruing this for long periods before making adjustments (I guess to make sure the food enviroment is sound and continuoua with no chance of a real famine happening?). survival intstincts can be confusing sometimes. also if your like me and suffer fasting hypoglycemia to much that lowers leptin too, adrenalin and norepinephrine (I bet cortisol does to) lowers leptin.if this happens on a continuous basis leptin remains low (or your leptin resistant too in some cases) much of the time, and as long as that is the case the body is probably reading famine situation to much. thus if my guess is correct that insaitable appetite which I can relate to. and no I do not eat fast foods. I make meals at home using the best ingredients I can. I drink water or some milk, but seldom do I drink pop, maybe I will have one ot two per week. but that is alot less than I used to.

TD
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  May 15, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite
The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David Kessler (Audio CD - April 28, 2009)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (568)