Customer Discussions > Asterios Polyp forum

the ending... (spoiler alert)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2009 5:05:56 PM PDT
What do you all think the ending was? Just a big satiric joke? Like all this questioning life, and reality, and perception, love etc... is all for what? What do you think the significance was of that "shooting star"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2009 5:39:32 PM PDT
His name "Asterios" means "star" in Latin, so I'd say a shooting star meant he felt he would have a second shot at getting things right in life.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 11:44:24 AM PDT
Bob says:
The ending was deliberately left open, but my interpretation was that the house was struck by the meteor just at the point when he had gotten his life right. The idea of death by meteor was foreshadowed much earlier in the book, and just a few pages before the end, it was pointed out that you never know whether any given day will be your last.

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 5:56:44 PM PST
i dont think there is any debate as to the fact that the asteroid smashes into the house.

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 8:30:48 AM PST
Esgaldil says:
I liked the notion of his entire story being something for the Majors to make a wish upon.

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 2:54:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2009 2:55:03 PM PST
whiteschwoch says:
The first time I read it, I was shocked and disappointed at the thought of Asterios and Hana being killed by the asteroid. But after discussing and thinking on it, I re-read the ending and interpreted it as just a star in the distance, like those that come to Earth daily and do nothing. So I think that the open ending is the "ultimate" structuralist duality.

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 5:54:27 PM PST
I had the exact same experience as the story at the end. With the girl on the train in a foreign
land, didn't speak the language> Lost her > Freaked out > Found each other... I'm married to
her now.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 2:16:08 PM PST
* The character that searches asteroids appeared before in other Mazzuchelli's story called "Near miss" and published in Rubber Blanket #1.
* The end of Asterios Polyp reminds me a quote of Macbeth in the Shakespeare's play: "Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Asterios Polyp forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jul 8, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Asterios Polyp
Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Hardcover - July 7, 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (94)