Under the Dome
Used & New from: $1.06
the ending - spoilers I've stayed up late every night this week to finish Under the Dome and I have to say, even though it's one of Stephen King's longest works, I could have done with a few more pages.

The dome lifts and boom, it's over. I really would like to know what happened after. What did the survivors do? Where did everyone go on to live? How was the outside world effected (actually would have liked a little more of this throughout)?

Overall, I liked the book but just wanted a little more.
asked by Stacey K on December 30, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 answers
A
I have to agree. I enjoyed the story so much but after all that build up it was pretty much over once Barbie and Rusty were rescued. There wasn't a whole lot after that. And I really wish Big Jim had gotten a worse punishment.
Nickolas X. P. Sharps answered on December 31, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I liked the ending. I felt that King was reflecting real life, in that many times, the Big Jims of the world do not get their comeuppance. However, he did get what he deserved in that he died alone - surrounded by everyone that loved him (i.e. No one). I occasionally find myself thinking, when I read a book or watch a movie,"Sheesh - only the 'heroes' survived." Then, I realize that the ones who survived are the ones who the story is really about. Much like in a news story - if there's a tragedy, and there are survivors, you hear the story of the ones how survived - how they got into the situation, what their lives were like, how they survived, etc. So, in actuality, we heard the story of the survivors in this book.

I thought the end of the book was very uplifting - that last sentence is very powerful - and I like not knowing what happened after the Dome went away. In my opinion, it's best left up to the imagination.
I'mFonda'Books answered on January 12, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I wanted that too - he was such a hateful character.
Stacey K answered on December 31, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That he was, but he provided such a great villain. I was kinda expecting a resistance movement from Barbie and the others but that never panned out. I was hoping for a little action and some ass kicking by the good guys who seem to get knocked around the entire book.
Nickolas X. P. Sharps answered on December 31, 2009

A
They do - I was so ready for the good guys to starting winning or at least have some small victory. I wanted them to see Big Jim get his and suffer. Maybe the author was trying to show how revenge is wrong but I really like revenge in my fiction.
Stacey K answered on December 31, 2009

A
I agree with the original post. I just finished the book last night, and after many, many hours of anticipation, I felt like the ending kind of fizzled-out. Also, I was hoping that Big Jim would end up in prison to spend the rest of his days as somebody's boy toy.
Amazon Customer answered on January 13, 2010

A
Haha I have to agree with you there, a little revenge would have been nice. All those guns from Burpee's shop, two ex-soldiers, a town under an oppressive rule. Coulda panned out a little differently. Sure the fire took out all the bad guys...but it also took the rest of the town with it.
Nickolas X. P. Sharps answered on January 1, 2010

A
I was really disappointed that not more people survived - basically just the heroes.
Stacey K answered on January 2, 2010

A
I agree, Jim's demise was kind of anticlimactic.
Amazon Customer answered on August 6, 2010

A
I enjoyed the book ... start to finish, including the ending. The dome lifting was in the last few pages but the real ending came with the massive explosion. That was the end of the story. The rest of the book was about what happened to the very few survivors of the explosion and their almost asphyxiation ... kept me locked into the book until the story finally, with a breath of fresh air, ended.

I thought that Under The Dome was one of the best books I've read in awhile. One of King's best ever.
Jerre Batson answered on August 16, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›