is there anyone out there that didn't loooooove PD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2011 12:51:28 AM PDT
SeasonL says:
I liked it, but I spent a disproportionate amount of time saying "C'mon!"
I was really excited about PD (smart of Harrison to post the first 5 chapters on her website) but I couldn't help but feel disappointed the more I read.
As other people have said, Trent's quest and the trial should have been two different books. And the soul eating demon. Sigh. One thing I found really aggravating was the general lack of concern over said soul eating demon. In a world where the soul exists and there's apparently some afterlife isn't having your soul eaten the worst possible fate? A soul eating demon an unimaginably horrible scourge? Oh, and don't forget he ate out someone's throat which seemed to gross out the gang for about 5 secs before they forgot about it. It just seemed like Rachel and Co should have been more concerned about Ku'Sox and his pesky soul/flesh eating as opposed to passively waiting for him to show up wherever he pleased.
And it didn't make sense to me that Trent, a shrewd business man, would be dumb enough to release a DEMON THAT EATS SOULS. And calling the demon to deal with pixies? Isn't that like using a rocket launcher to kill ants? I've always been a Trent fan and was deeply annoyed by his idiotic but apparently plot-advancing behavior in this book. There needed to be an explanation for how Ku'Sox was part of his quest and him raising Ku'Sox to help Rachel out was just dumb.
Minor grumbling:
Ivy's background scenery in this book. And as someone else already pointed out, her horrible torture at the hands of Ku'sox received only a throw-away line.
Rachel's only 5'4"! I could have sworn Harrison had always alluded to Rachel being more statuesque. And Trent's only a shade taller? Is our debonair elf only 5'5"? I mean, he is an elf and all, but...
How did Al get to reality to maim Trent? Doesn't he have to be summoned?
Good things:
Very little Pierce!
Oh, and also no talk of witch wang! I really hate it when Harrison delves into the specifics of witch anatomy (like in BMS) because it's beyond silly and doesn't add anything to the story.
It's already been discussed to death in other forums, but enjoyed the kiss between Rachel and Trent...though I wonder how much of it was pandering to the fans. I'd like to know what Harrison's original ending was.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 9:47:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2011 9:48:12 AM PDT
Well I loooved it, but have no problem discussing its imperfections. I'm just basing it on how engaged I was the entire time...which was a lot. I certainly agree with all of your likes!

I think Kim is trying to say that Rachel's 5'6, but in Book 1 she was 5'8. It also made me wonder about Trent. I would not be happy with him being that short, haha. In my mind, he's no shorter than 5'10. I don't think it's an elf thing either. Remember, Jonathan was freakishly tall.

As for the Trent/Rachel kiss. If Kim was going to simply fan pander, I *really* wish she'd have left it at that, like the Al situation where she seems pretty confident Rachel will never reciporocate. Now, she's actually injecting feelings from Trent's end which is completely unnecessary to me if she's just jerking our chain. I know she gets a new BF in book 10, but Trent's supposedly going to get jealous. So for me it's just like...why now?

As for the Ivy thing. I'll be honest, I had to think to myself "hmm, did she like...get raped or something?" but because she seemed so nonchalant about it I seriously was thinking it probably wasn't so bad. One thing I do love about this series though is that it isn't too dark or drama-focused. I prefer it to be more on the fun/actiony side.

As for Al being summoned, that's a great point. Maybe you should ask Kim? But I do remember times where Rachel was freaking out about him coming at night time, and wanting to be on holy ground in earlier books.

As for Trent summoning Ku'Sox, I'm trying to think of what else could have gotten Rachel out of the bind. They banished her and then brought her back because they were in over their heads with him. It seems he also used the demon as a distraction when he was in Seattle. Usually the only way to inspire real change is for something drastic to happen. It *did* work. But yeah, summoning him for the pixies was definitely overkill, LOL. I laughed at your analogy there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 11:54:10 AM PDT
SeasonL says:
Thank you! I knew Harrison had alluded to Rachel being tall and lanky before, but on pg 260 says she is 5'4. Ill just chalk it up to an error since I'd really like to imagine Trent as atleast 5'10.

Ever since book 1, it had seemed to me like Harrison was foreshadowing a Trent/Rachel pairing so I was fairly surprised to read some of her coy/ambiguous comments about the two. And I agree, I see no point in making Trent a love sick puppy if it's not going to lead anywhere. I can't imagine Harrison going down that road and then suddenly providing Rachel with a new beau. It's way too late in the game to be introducing a new love interest. I'd prefer Rachel and Jenks to someone new. Methinks Harrison should probably stop answering questions about certain plot points since she doesn't want to give anything away but probably doesn't want to outright lie so hence the ambiguity that is driving some people crazy right now.

I can get behind Trent summoning Ku'Sox to help Rachel out if it didn't feel so much like "plot B." Once again, in a universe where there is some sort of afterlife and people can come back from the dead, it seems like having your soul eaten is the most horrible fate imaginable. I just didn't understand why the situation didn't have a lot of gravity for the gang. And Rachel had mentioned Trent's casual disregard for innocent lives--uh, no Rachel, some of the people didn't just die but had THEIR SOULS EATEN so poof, oblivion, they are no more, sorry to their loved ones who will never be reunited with them in whatever afterlife exists. It just seemed inconsistent to me with Harrison's own mythos.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 4:46:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2011 4:52:59 PM PDT
Well Kim definitely admits to it being an error, but now she is saying she's 5'6 where before it was 5'8. When she said the 5'4 comment I was like "does she mean sans the inches from her head?"

It's really hard to say with Kim because at first she supposedly didn't see the Trent/Rachel (Kisten was Rachel's HEA before the book extension), yet because so many of us did, that's why she chose Pale Demon to "investigate." Now it turns out that Trent's had feelings for her all along, even back at camp. On one hand I'm glad to hear Kim talking, but it's a double edged sword because it's nothing really satisfying either. I'm at least glad to know there will be a new beau in book 10 so that my hopes wouldn't get up...because said ending of Pale Demon will do just that if you support Trent/Rachel. You also asked about the first ending. Kim said she pretty much introduced that plot point earlier in this book instead of doing it in the next book, which I'm assuming are Trent's feelings.

And Harrison doesn't seem that pleased about Book 10 (because for her Pale Demon was like...the trifecta), so I'm wondering if this new dude is all that great. I'm thinking no...not that I could really be converted after of Pale Demon, regardless of what Kim does now. I'm stubborn.

I wonder what happened to the souls after he ate them actually. Is it just like a Ku'Sox hell, or after Ku'Sox uses them up, do they go somewhere else? Does it make a difference since Ku'Sox himself seems to lack a soul? So many questions, but I can understand the gripe.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pale Demon
Pale Demon by Kim Harrison (Paperback - August 1, 2011)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (452)