Customer Discussions > The Who At Kilburn: 1977 forum

Is there only one version of The Who at Kilburn 1977 DVD - No Best Buy Exclusive Edition?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2008 8:25:30 AM PST
bass boy says:
Has anyone heard if there will be a 3-disc version of this, like Best Buy's 3-disc version of "The Who Amazing Journey" from last year? The Kilburn title wasn't listed at all in Best Buy's flier Sunday; it was only seen in Target's ads. Just wondering if BB or another store will feature an exclusive 3-disc version. It seems the 3-disc "Amazing Journey" version flew under the radar last year. I didn't know it existed until I walked into Best Buy.
Any feedback will be appreciated! Thanks! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 6:46:57 AM PST
I'd like an answer to this myself--the last few "new" Who releases (CD: Live at BBC and Endless Wire; DVD: Amazing Journey) have featured bonus material exclusive to Best Buy, so I'm not going to buy this until I find out. I was at Best Buy last night and they didn't have any copies of the DVD, so I couldn't see if there is any exclusive bonus material. Anyone else hear anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 7:45:04 AM PST
bass boy says:
I, too, went to Best Buy and they had no copies. A guy there looked it up on the computer and said that it was "one disc, no, it's a two-disc set," and said there weren't any in the store or in back, but there might be some in the story in 10 or 11 days. I was puzzled by this. According to BB's web site, it's a two-disc set, but we'll see. I got one at Target (standard two-disc set) but haven't opened it yet until I find out if BB has a third disc. Wouldn't it be awesome if BB had Houston 1975 or Charlton 1974 as a bonus disc?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008 5:48:11 PM PST
M. Chambers says:
To chime in, I too was wary of "buying too soon" lest Best Buy have a special edition with bonus material. So I went by my local Best Buy on Thursday, 2 days after the DVD was released.

They seemed to have only two copies of the DVD and they were identical to what is seen online: 2 disc set, no bonus discs or "Best Buy exclusives". Now, of course, that doesn't mean there might not be something like that down the road, but unless someone has news to the contrary, I'd have to say there is no "bonus disc" or "Best Buy special edition" at this point....

Similar to some comments above, I found Best Buy's treatment of Kilburn puzzling: only two copies of a new release? When The Kids Are Alright and Amazing Journey DVD's were released, Best Buy not only had special editions, but had many many copies, ads in the paper, and featured these near the front of the store in the New Releases section and/or put them in one of those special stand alone cardboard displays. By contrast, the new release of Kilburn was NOT in the New Releases area but was mixed in with the Music DVD's in the regular bins as if it had been out for months.....Also, have not seen it promo'd in the Sunday ad circulars while TKAA and AJ were. And like I said, they only had two copies on the shelf and 0 copies of the Blu-Ray edition.

So, evidently Best Buy is not "pushing" this DVD....maybe they only make a special effort if they are handling a Special Edition/bonus disc deal???

Anyway, short version: I have not seen a bonus disc version at my local Best Buy. If anyone has other news or info, it would be appreciated. Sometimes I feel like us Who fans, and music fans in general, get scammed into buying multiple versions of the similar or same material due to re-packaging, multiple "remastered" and "bonus material" versions, and re-merchandizing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008 8:13:54 PM PST
bass boy says:
Thanks so much for this response. I will probably break down and get it now, since it seems no Best Buy exclusive three-disc version exisits. It's kind of frustrating, isn't it, waiting to see if there will be a deluxe version. Kinda makes me want to just buy this and then get boots of the other Who concert films I want - Charlton 74, Houston 75, Tanglewood 70, Shea, Toronto and Seattle 82, Rockpalast 81, etc. If anyone knows of Dallas 2000 being on DVD, let me know. There's a pro-shot DVD of it, but I can't find it from traders.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008 1:33:58 PM PST
Ubaldo says:
There is no Best Buy exclusive for the Kilburn '77 DVD. On another note, The Who Maximum R&B DVD is, apparently, going to be remastered and re-released in '09 with the Rockpalast '81 show included as a second disc. This is according to the official band site and comments from the fellow(Richard Evans, i believe) who is doing the package re-design for the release.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008 2:13:55 PM PST
bass boy says:
Wow! Rockpalast 81 and Maximum R&B??? That is great. Man, I hope Pete and Roger put out all the vault's footage on DVD. I was hoping Rockpalast and R&B would be remastered for DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 2:44:36 PM PST
shmoopatties says:
Thanks for the info. Answered my question. The Toronto 1982 show is on CD and DVD here at Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 3:06:15 PM PST
bass boy says:
Yeah, but the Toronto DvD and CD are quasi-boots with so-so sound and picture. And not the whole show. They are missing "Cry if you Want" and "Dr. Jimmy," which were performed that night and appeared in the orignal Pay-Per-View live broadcast.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 7:13:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2008 7:16:57 PM PST
J. Camacho says:
Rockpalast 81 is a killer concert and Max R & B has the best version of Sister Disco. It cool to see them release stuff with Jones on drums, like they had a reason to be ashamed before. Anyone who says they werent any good then hasnt seen Rockpalast 81. Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 10:46:46 AM PST
bass boy says:
I agree. The first time I saw The Who on TV was the 1982 Toronto show on HBO. Of course Moon was the best, but with Jones, they were still good. I have friends who saw them on the 1980 and 1982 tours and said the band were still great live. Now with Zak on drums, The Who still is ferocious, particularly during the 2000 tour with the Ox still alive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 1:07:14 PM PST
J. Camacho says:
I think that the 81 show is at least 10 times better than Toronto 82. I was surprised by it, i expected it to be the same. The videos on youtube dont do it justice. The show has a whole different look and feel to it than the farewell tour. I guess that was before they decided to call it quits. They had the whole 81 concert on comcast cable, on demand section a few months ago. I dont know how they got the permission to show it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009 7:41:54 PM PDT
Not Mozart says:
they were good with Kenny (I'm also a huge Faces fan), but they didn't go to that higher level with him the way they could (if he was moderately sober) with Moon. Moon brought something chaotic and energetic but still expertly musical to them that a "straight" rock n' roll drummer like Jones couldn't provide. The closest they've gotten to Moon's level, in my opinion, is playing with Zak Starkey. I wish he had played on more of the Endless Wire album. But, that said, I still went to live shows without Moon, without Entwistle, no way. Pino is great with R&B, but Entwistle he AIN'T, period.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2009 2:50:03 PM PDT
P. McPherson, that's an excellent description of Moon's contribution to the band!

For all his showmanship I find it interesting that he turned away any suggestions that he indulge in the ego-trip solos that were so common back then. His response was along the lines of, "Why would I want to do that? I'm in a band!"

Kilburn seems to catch, better than any other vid, how much he truly loved playing with and off of the other three. It could be in the editing, but the exchange of looks and smiles as well as rhythm and riffs speaks volumes.

And I agree that Zak added a bit of the old zip to their musical chemistry but he's a kind of reserved and lets Roger and Pete shine. Moon, OTOH, insisted on being an equal partner and was just plain fun to hear and watch.

Finally, I can't imagine having to be the 'replacement' for either Keith or John. What a thankless task! The comparisons will never end well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2009 3:17:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2009 3:18:18 PM PDT
bass boy says:
Yeah, Zak's playing on the 2002 and 2006-07 tours was a bit more reserved than his playing on the 2000 tour. Most of that probably had to do with the fact that John Entwistle died. I saw the Dallas 2000 show, and Zak was thunderous. I have the CD, and if you didn't know any better, you'd thought it was the 1975 Who (well, except for Rabbit's piano), due to Starkey being more adventurous and wild on the drums (still a bit tame compared to Moon, but still wilder than later.) I'm sure for the 2002 tour, especially the first few dates, Starkey reeled in his playing a bit to make it easier for Pino Palladino to find his footing. Still, the Dallas 2002 show was really good, although not quite as magical as the 2000 concert I saw. I'll still go see The Who again (saw them in 2000, 2002, 2006 and twice (back to back nights) in 2007). No show will ever top the first one with Entwistle for me, but The Who still is a great band today.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Who At Kilburn: 1977
The Who At Kilburn: 1977 by Roger Daltrey (DVD - 2008)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (129)