Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Red Dead Redemption forum

Is there really propaganda in this game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2010 11:54:45 AM PDT
007 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 13, 2010 10:50:22 AM PDT
Sonofhaig says:
Oh for crying out loud.......... it's NOT Tea Party-esk........ and it isn't even a theme...... just the idea that government is having a profound effect on one man's life in a very manipulative way. It's a GAME. Stop thinking so much and enjoy life a little, okay?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2010 1:24:27 PM PDT
007 says:
I haven't played the game yet so I wasn't really commenting on it. I just read it in some other reviews and thought it was strange is all. Thanks for the response. I now plan to enjoy life a little : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 7:42:45 AM PDT
Sonofhaig says:
Excellent! I didn't mean to sound harsh..... I just think people think into things too much..... I highly recommend the game if you're into "sandbox" games like this. Now get out there and enjoy life! ;-) All the best! ~ Sonofhaig

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2010 10:29:26 PM PDT
Andrew says:
Well, back when America was young, there was still this concept called states rights, whereby the states held the power to govern and police themselves while the federal government played a secondary role. Over time, the federal government has gradually grown stronger and taken power away from the states, mainly through the use (or overuse) of the Commerce Clause. Red Dead's dialogue details the people's resistance and distrust towards the expanding federal government, especially the newly formed FBI.

You should look up 'Federalism in the United States' on Wikipedia. The concentration of power in the U.S. has been an ever-present major political issues since the country was founded. Rockstar has done an excellent job at highlighting how many of the same issues of our past (federalism, immigration, and racism) are the same issues that are important today.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 8:49:48 AM PST
Gregg S. says:
*-esque
*sentiment

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 5:35:27 PM PST
Michael says:
If anything, the game's politics tend to slant toward the left. After all, one of the towns in the game is called "Blackwater" -- which may be a veiled reference to "Blackwater Worldwide" (now Xe Services LLC), the private security agency hired by the Bush Administration to conduct military operations in Iraq and elsewhere. And the same agency that was accused of crimes under U.S. law.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 9:53:39 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
I think Rockstar's games are mostly apolitical, except in the sense that they exist at all. They draw ire from both sides of the aisle. It's satire, thinly veiled in places, but always cutting and relevant. I mean, think about it, yes, characters in the game do display hostility at the idea of federal government encroachment, but then again, citizens are subjected to gang violence repeatedly, and lawlessness makes their lives more, not less difficult. The issue is a complex one and the answers not plainly evident. Unlike the oversimplication and obfusication of tea partiers who act like the federal government is the cause of all their problems. Sorry folks, its just a little more complex than all that.

So, in conclusion, is this game filled with propagada? No. But it is satire, and that does reflect and refract the issues that occupy the real world. So, if you prefer total escape to a satirical look at the ridiculousness and contradictions of modern life, I suggest you find your entertainment elsewhere. Unless, the biting satirical commentary associated with any rockstar game would go straight over your head anyway, then, in that case, enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 3:44:26 PM PST
N Jones says:
Haha! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:04:48 PM PDT
nooo says:
Definitely hit the nail on the head. Rockstar is very unbiased in it's humor.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Red Dead Redemption forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jul 12, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption by Rockstar Games (Xbox 360)
4.5 out of 5 stars (801)