Why do they keep bringing out Combo HD DVD/Standard DVDs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2007 11:28:11 AM PDT
P. Ferguson says:
I cannot understand the reasoning behind bringing out these Combo HD DVD/Standard DVDs. I think it would be a great idea to get people who only have standard DVD players to buy these, so that when they do make "the jump" to HD, that they will choose HD DVD as their preferred format. Unfortunately, the studios apparently decided to ruin this idea by charging more than the normal cost of HD DVDs. This means that standard DVD consumers are paying a lot more than the cost of the DVD version, just in case they buy a HD DVD player (and a HD TV if they don't already have one). Worst of all, the HD DVD consumers are punished, since they have no need for the standard DVD format, and they end up having to pay more as well. I feel like this move could kill HD DVD in the format war against Blu-Ray. I own an HD DVD player, but I will not pay the extra money for these Combo Discs. Unfortunately, many of the movies that are being brought out on HD DVD that I would buy are being brought out as Combo Discs. I think they need to make a change or HD DVD will lose the format war.

Here is a quick list of movies that have been brought out on the Combo HD DVD/Standard DVDs. (This list is not just made up of movies I would consider buying)
-16 Blocks
-The Departed
-ATL
-Firewall
-The Fountain
-Good Night and Good Luck
-Happy Feet
-Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
-Lady in the Water
-Lake House
-Letters from Iwo Jima
-Music and Lyrics
-Rumor Has It
-Superman Returns
-Alpha Dog
-Hitcher
-Smokin' Aces
-The Break-Up
-Children of Men
-The Good Shepherd
-Hollywoodland
-Fearless
-Miami Vice
-Slither
-Waste Deep
-You, Me and Dupree
-American Werewolf in London
-The Breakfast Club
-Brokeback Mountain
-How the Grinch Stole Christmas
-Half Baked
-Land of the Dead
-National Lampoon's Animal House
-The Scorpion King
-Unleashed
-Army of Darkness
-Dazed and Confused
-Fast Times at Ridgemont High
-Accepted
...and more

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2007 6:06:12 AM PDT
Joe DeAngelo says:
I agree, the combo idea is a terrible one. HD-DVD player owners absolutely do not want to pay extra for the DVD side that we will never use. I also highly doubt that many people who don't own an HD-DVD player want to spend twice as much for a combo disc instead of the regular DVD. They really need to wake up to this fact.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:08:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 10:09:08 PM PDT
Cut to: a few years later, Blu-ray combo packs are pretty much the standard now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  May 23, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions