Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $200.00
is this thing "SACD ready" (whatever that means)? I've been browsing receivers for over a year now, and I see some that say "SACD ready", yet this does not mention that...I'm expecting an SACD/DVD player (the Denon 1940CI that's on sale for a blowout price!!) in the mail, so I'm hoping to try out some SACDs on it, when I find a great recording available in that format (I'm pretty darn picky...). I probably won't buy this rec'er until January, when I get my annual bonus (so to speak...I'm living on welfare for mental disability, so I only get $674/mo), but I might (try to) save up so I can get this sooner...
thanx
~Jonathan
asked by Jonathan Cardwell on May 27, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 answers
A
The sad fact is that though convenience and features increase every year--you get more bells and whistles for the buck--sound quality rarely does... And no, not all music is recorded in surround--thank God... Again, this is a throw-back receiver for the days of simply listening to and enjoying music...
Thomas Haughton answered on June 14, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Some SACD capable players with HDMI can send a DSD or PCM (digital) signal to a receiver. New receivers with HDMI inputs can decode the DSD or PCM, some only in stereo and others in stereo and multichannel (7.1 for PCM and 5.1 for DSD). You can always just connect the SACD player to the normal CD RCA inputs (only stereo for this receiver).
Just An Opinion answered on May 11, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Would RCA connection be the best way to go in most cases? This rec'er doesn't have HDMI does it?
Jonathan Cardwell answered on June 6, 2010

A
This is a basic audio receiver. HDMI comes into play more so with video than with audio sources (unless the audio amplification stages in the receiver are up to snuff, HDMI for sound is moot.) In today's highly competitive market place, each manufacturer is challenged to come up with the best features/performance at the lowest cost--and so there are always trade-offs to be made. Onkyo, Denon, and others make some HDMI receivers fairly near to what this receiver costs, but again, all things considered, I wonder how they'd compare as far as pure sound. What you'd gain, to me, in going in that direction would be more about convenience and video switching options. I use my Onkyo TX-8255 in an AV system, but I've had to jump through some hoops to do so. To me the extra hassle is worth it for the sound. (I'm also sticking with my present gear because I have a very good DVD player with options that simply don't exist anymore. But once that dies I will finally be switching over to Blu-Ray which then will probably entail an upgrade to an HDMI receiver--which for both will run multiples of what my former gear cost for what I'm sure will not be vastly improved sound.)
Thomas Haughton answered on June 14, 2010

A
Wow, Blu-ray...haven't even been thinking about that. Kinda makes buying a receiver like this seem pointless; I mean, how much longer will SACDs and non-HDMI-oriented stuff be around? A Blu-ray-based set-up would be a lot more expensive tho...but again, how much longer will that be the case? The players themselves have gone down in price A LOT in the past year and a half...idk...I guess I'll wait around another couple years and see what happens. For the poor folk, it's a bit of a dangerous time to be buying a $170 electronics item...
Jonathan Cardwell answered on June 14, 2010

A
The thing that threw me off the Blu-Ray/HDMI/etc.... thing was the need(?) for a 5+ speaker system. Is it POSSIBLE to listen to music in stereo with a "home theater" receiver? I mean, after all, not everything is RECORDED in surround sound! Especially music...does the receiver somehow tell the speakers to play stereo in a stereo-sounding way?...
Jonathan Cardwell answered on June 14, 2010

A
Ok, I'm getting closer to being able to afford a receiver and I'm pretty sure this is what I'm gonna get. My big-bonus-annual check comes in mid-January or early Feb (most likely...), and I need to prepare.
So: first I need to know: do I need banana plugs with this receiver or do binding posts secure speaker wire on their own? I mean, I can't really see the pictures of this item all that well (or any other item online for that matter...2D just isn't the same as 3D...) and the only receiver I've ever owned is a budget SONY receiver which had clip on speaker posts or whatever you call that/them...
If banana plugs aren't needed & the receiver doesn't already come with speaker wire security, then what do I need to search for here on Amazon?
Also, will the SONY B1000s work with this receiver until I can afford ones to match this thing? The B1000s are impeded @ 8ohms and are 120 watts "maximum power". Not sure if that's for each speaker or both...also need to know how much better 16 AWG speaker wire is vs. the 27 AWG or whatever crazy-thin wire they sent with the speakers is. Is it a night and day difference or...about half that? Or is it a more minor thing? I believe I have in fact suffered some hearing loss 'cause I listened to music WAAAAY too loud as a teenager. I used to need headphones 'cause of that. I rarely use headphones these days so I'm guessing that's a good thing...
Please tracker #2, assist me if you can! If you have time b4 November I'd really appreciate it...(!!!!) and/or if someone else would/could chime in b4 January...either way, I just know someone else is tracking this, just letting you know that I know and I'm hoping to get a response this way as opposed to creating a new thread...thanx~Jonathan
Jonathan Cardwell answered on August 10, 2010

A
P.s.: I would get the 5.1 receiver also by Onkyo (sp?) for a few dozen dollars more, but as Mr. Haughton said, bells and whistles often are added with a sacrifice to audio quality...and since I will mostly be listening in stereo anyway + I'm still on the fence with the whole Blu-ray thing (My TV is only 720p anywayz...), I figure I might as well go ahead with this one. The Sherwood for about $105 claims the ONLY thing that makes it a 'budget' receiver is its modest price...which I highly doubt...and I don't want a repeat of that SONY receiver experience; I was afraid to list it for sale here on Amazon 'cause shipping it would take $20+ and I hardly ever have that much cash on me...so I just practically gave it away...while $20 conveniently landed IN my pocket...good thing that pawn shop resells their stuff for not-so-discounted prices; can't imagine what kind of cracker jack "value" they'd give me for it if they didn't resell their (USED!!!!) merch for about the same cost of buying it new........but I guess that's a remote story that I'm only vocalizing for...no reason...(?)...ugh...I should stop tying before I discourage anyone from replying to this thread. Peace~Jonathan

A
Banana plugs would be nice--the receiver's terminals are designed to accept them-- but aren't necessary. As for speaker wire, I try for at least 16 gauge but common 18 gauge "Lamp cord" is sufficient for most applications. 27 is way too thin...

Just be careful when connecting your speakers to the receiver that you only strip off what you need to secure them properly and that you not cross the wires with each other or have them touch the metal back of the receiver (either case could cause a costly short.)

As for the Sony speakers, this receiver will have plenty of power for them or for pretty much any reasonably efficient speaker you can throw at them. Just use common sense with the volume and you'll be fine.
Thomas Haughton answered on August 10, 2010

A
Wow, thanx for responding so soon. Was busy re-arranging my TV/DVD player table, since I'm kind of at a loss for where to put the speakers...I'm guessing cross wires is exactly what it sounds like...not sure how to avoid that...man, I think I'm just making this more complex than it has to be. I am definitely confused by what you mean by "metal back" of the receiver...you mean they can't brush along the back of the receiver and that they can ONLY touch the speaker terminals? Sounds kinda tricky. My hands are kinda shaky most of the time...maybe I'll need to pay someone to get this set up...I might have $50 to get that accomplished, just not sure who would do it for "that little". Best Buy offers a complete installation - including stuff I really don't need - for $100. Eh...lemme think; $170 + $30 + $100 = $300...yeah, if I keep the speakers I have that might work...heck, it might even work if I buy the Polk speakers in my shopping list if I use my regular monthly income to do that...I don't know why I was thinking I had barely enough to afford all this...maybe I'm forgetting something; I need receiver, speakers, speaker wire, banana plugs possibly..idk, maybe 'cause I was thinking I'd get a Blu-ray player or a CD Changer...I'd like to hear Genesis' THE LAMB... without having to either switch discs or pay $70 for the re-mixed edition w/ DVD... (the DVD has the whole album on one disc...**drools**).
anyway. So now I just gotta wait I guess. I don't suppose you know a good reference guide for people who aren't totally retarded but aren't exactly "all there", huh?
And about polarity, I keep hearing about this - where on the speaker wire would the + & - be? Would it be on the wire itself or the insulation? Kinda find it hard to believe 1/4" - that's the recommended length to cut right? - would be enough to fit into a receiver...but then again, maybe I'm just not thinking straight. It's late, and I don't even know if I took my medication today...argh...I should stop typing. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll have some solid ideas/questions to ask...
~Jonathan
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product