Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > A Different Kind of Truth forum

You'd think being in the overwhelming majority would be enough.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2012 12:55:56 PM PDT
Metalhammer says:
I don't get it. You'd think with over 400 5 star reviews and 100 4 star reviews people who like this album could be happy the majority of people seem to agree with them. If that's the case, then why do the ignorant few of them feel the need to hate on the few people who don't like this album? You'd think they'd be happy to just enjoy the album, and that some random person on amazon who doesn't like it wouldn't bother them, but apparently that's not good enough for a couple of them.

And what's with the stupid Sammy comments? I'm assuming they're talking about Sammy Hagar, but he had nothing to do with this album,s o i don't understand what they find funny or clever about that. Have we really regressed that much as a society, or are these people the mentally challenged few? People wonder how various rapines in the middle east could still be fighting over something they have no idea what started it. Well when you have people who don't understand that it's ok to have differing opinions on music, then we're not much better.

If someone enjoys the album that should be good enough for them. They shouldn't care what someone else thinks. Heck I'd even be open to someone making suggestions, saying something like, "This is a good album. Maybe take it a couple tracks at a time, list tracks, and listen to these elements of these songs and I think you'll appreciate them more", or something positive. Why would someone even think of changing their minds about an album when the argument is "You're an idiot", or "You're working for Sammy"? It just doesn't make any sense how people think this is intelligent discussion of an album.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 8:31:49 PM PDT
I have been following these reviews since release. If you knew how many of these "5 star" reviews were 1 or 2 lines AND the ONLY THING the person has EVER REVIEWED you would astonished..or not depending how cynical you are. So many shill reviews on this it's mindblowing. This is MAYBE a 3 star album no more.. I cannot figure WHY people would need to post 5 star reviews - are they being paid?

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 8:36:16 PM PDT
1984 200 reviews. Balance 100 reviews. This has nearly 700? Suddenly A LOT of people got interested in writing their FIRST REVIEW here on amazon -- Isn't that a coincidence?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 12:51:36 PM PDT
Steve says:
LOL. The first post complains about people with different opinions trying to change his, while the second and third posts claim consipacy when 700 people don't agree with his opinion.

I love the album, but can see why some may not. Van Halen is never going to sound like the 80's again. This is probably as close as they will get. They're in their 50's, do you really expect Women And Children Second? When they were in their youth? Of course not. 5 stars, maybe not, but considering the time and place, it's definitely at least a 4 star album for me. No, I'm not getting paid for my review Mr. Conspiracy Theory; I honestly love this album and honestly loved seeing them on this tour, even if it did cost an arm and a leg.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 7:01:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 7:03:09 PM PDT
Hey nitwit. I didn't say EVERY review wasn't valid..but when I click on ''other things this person has reviewed'' and this is the ONLY thing AND you are able to do that to 4 and 5 reviews in a row - you HONESTLY think all these people SUDDENLY with THIS ALBUM ONLY decided to start reviewing? Are you that dense?

also It doesn't have 700 5 star reviews - it has 700 total - or 7 times their normal output for reviews..yep - not strange at allllllll....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 3:56:34 PM PDT
Metalhammer says:
I thought the number of reviews on here was a bit odd, considering I've never seen an album on here get that many in such a short amount of time. Metallica could probably pull it off. Maybe the Stones if they released something new, or maybe a top 40 group or singer, honestly I don't know how many reviews those albums get as I don't listen to pop, but I was surprised this many people reviewed this album. Frankly it doesn't bother me either way. If there were a conspiracy to overrate the album, well, hopefully people are smart enough to make up their own minds for themselves, regardless if they like this or not. I just think people could be much more civil, especially if they're trying to change someone's mind about an album.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 9:38:33 AM PDT
Steve says:
Of course the newest albums have the most reviews; how many people go back to review albums they have owned for 30 years? It's not exactly rocket science.

Don't worry, the earth is flat, we never landed on the moon, and the good Van Halen reviews are all staged. Happy? Oh, and it was DLR on the grassy knoll....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 1:35:46 PM PDT
R. Wipper says:
I can't speak for anyone else but.................I have left no reviews on AMAZON at this point. However, I was going to for the new VH cd. Why? I love it! It exceeded my expectations, I love all the tracks and I listen to it all the time. I haven't liked a new release from start to finish this much since John Cougar Mellencamp's Lonesome Jubilee. I'm over 50 and this takes me back to the late 80's, as this could have been the follow-up to 1984. And for Me, those were Great times. I Like Sammy H solo, not so much with VH. DLR no where near as good a singer, but he fits much better with VH than Sammy did IMHO. So, that could be a reason, because people just really like it. Just a thought! :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Different Kind of Truth
A Different Kind of Truth by Van Halen (Audio CD - 2012)
4.2 out of 5 stars (871)