Why I think socom 4 will be somewhat successful

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 26, 2011 7:47:51 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:19:43 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 11:42:30 AM PST
S. Guzman says:
im a third person shooter such as Uncharted 2 i will look forward for this game :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 4:19:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2011 8:05:54 AM PST
dansw4 says:
No offense but this seems a little Zipper fanboyish in nature rather then someone speaking as a Socom fan. One of the big things you left out for how it could fail is the fact that a huge majority of the Socom fanbase is very upset all over the web because there's only like three classic features in the game while the rest of the old features were gutted and replaced with features from these other games you claim Socom isn't like.

List of things removed from the previous Socoms are:
Lobbies, User created ranked rooms,pistols, tie breaker rounds if the match ends tied,the ability to climb while in mid-jump to hoist yourself up on things faster, guns hot,no grenade arc, every single past game mode accept for the Socom 3 style suppression {and only replaced with three new game modes for a total of 4 game modes,lowest in a Socom game since the very first one.}, they removed the ability to pick up all weapons off of dead bodies {can only replenish ammo for the weapons you start the round with}, there will be no doors on any doorways of houses or buildings which was one of Socom's trademarks, there will be no grenade or shotgun knockdowns {also one of Socom's exclusive trademarks}, little quirks such as shooting out lights, blowing up bridges, C4ing walls,etc which made the classic maps unique will not be in the game {now have generic maps with just exploding barrels and cars being the extent of environment interactivit}, no free lean, no alternate FPV view,stuck with the OTS crap from CON which offers a far more obstructive alternate view that make it as though the player is blind in one eye.

All Socomers have to look forward to is round based gameplay in classic mode, a tap to talk button that is similar to push to talk but worse and is on the d-pad of all places. And that pretty much it for classic fans. You can make the case for Abandoned being a classic feature but thats just for preorder people who get it from gamestop.

The standard mode actually plays far closer to those other games then ever before, respawn, airstrikes and killstreaks ala COD. instead of pistols they are doing the dual primary weapon thing to make everyone a one man army instead of focusing on team and people having their specific roles. It's the most casual friendly simplified,easy to pick up and play Socom ever made which will most likely make it become boring just as fast as all the other casual shooters on the market.

I can see new fans liking this game maybe who don't know what they are missing and i won't hate on them for that, but any long time Socom player is going to feel short changed unless they started with CON which was the most bare bones, stripped down Socom ever made...for CON players anything will be a step up.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 10:58:53 AM PST
P. Jones says:
desert glory,frost fire,blood lake,cross roads...man i miss those days

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 9:02:40 AM PST
Ausman says:
@ dansw4 -

x2 dood. unless SOCOM 4 puts me back on Fox Hunt...Im gonna sit this one out, for serious.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 9:53:57 AM PST
i went back and played socom 2 the other day just to try and play foxhunt, however on average there is only 120 people on the servers and no one ever plays foxhunt. so sad.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 10:34:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2011 10:37:02 AM PST
Fu H. Lim says:
I played socom 2 on the ps3 and i thought it was awesome. Iono but i thought MAG was an awful fail......so I'm not sure if i should purchase this game...what do you guys think?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 6:56:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:20:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 3:44:32 PM PDT
It's nice that Slant 6 isn't involved in this one. I think they singlehandedly killed my love for SOCOM. Hopefully this game proves me wrong. Slant 6 needs to start making board games. Hell, they'd probably screw that up!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 10:23:51 AM PDT
Timothy says:
I'm giving it a miss. as a longtime SOCOM supporter i can say it's nothing like the older games it makes slant six Confrontation look really really good. I know slant six took a battering for their release but if you can get used to the maps and get to know what you can and cant do on them it plays really well they have patched alot of the early issues, unfortunatley there are "hackers" ruining the game with cheats, but its still alot better than SOCOD4. At least slant six was true to the SOCOM title. I wouldn't waste your money on this "all new experience" it might be all new but that's the problem its not SOCOM. If they put back the socom 2 gameplay and cleared up the bugs Sped it up combined it with Confrontation you would have an excellent SOCOM game. I think all the fans would be back. I won't pretend i was happy at the time Confrontation came out i wasn't. but its the best game out there now. If you really want to have the "all new SOCOM experience" rent it, or better still borrow it (if you can find anybody who bought it) if you have to but don't buy it. You will just get bored.

Posted on May 6, 2011 3:26:25 AM PDT
Mr. C. Haden says:
i agree, confrontation is the closest thing you'll get to a good socom game on ps3. socom4 is a con if you buy it expecting it to resemble a socom game.

i think slant6 added some nice touches to the game, mostly the proxi coms updated graphics and some pretty good maps, i've played it more than any other ps3 game to date, and i was really looking forward to a improved version of the game, but zipper have done a real bad job, and have sold out on the series that was once, one of a kind, i think its trade value is down to around $20 already.

i've been playing socom 2 again since psn is down and it still feels like a very good game compared to all the ps3 games around now.

i think trying to compare socom 2 to socom 4 is silly, socom4 is not even a glims of what slant6 did with confrontation,
so i dont think socom4 will be "somewhat successful" you only have to look on the socom furums to see that.

Posted on May 9, 2011 6:21:27 AM PDT
Sars says:
i think it will be successful. socom will never be the most popular game in the world cause alot of people dont like that kind of game. its going to sell its copies, its not going to break no records, but i know a lot of people that enjoy this new socom. of course you will have them people that hate the game, but thats with every game

Posted on May 9, 2011 10:39:54 AM PDT
Timothy says:
If it was a tellytubby cd it would sell better. and probably be more appropriate for their target audience.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2011 5:45:06 AM PDT
Sars says:
lol that was pretty funny. dont know about true but made me get a good laugh

Posted on May 10, 2011 12:53:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:21:18 PM PDT]

Posted on May 10, 2011 1:11:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2011 1:14:57 PM PDT
Timothy says:
oh its the zipper club chairman i'll look away while you do your secret hand shake.
I don't see any evidence they will get better they have got progressivley worse. and Confrontation is way better than SOCOD4. in fact I don't think theres much point discussing the future of this franchise unless they work some kind of bailout. Zpper have forgotten where they came from and as such do not know where they are going. full speed ahead to rip off city by the looks of things. I guess if your expectations are that low you'd be pleasently surprised if someone posts a flaming paper bag through your letterbox.

Posted on May 17, 2011 1:14:04 PM PDT
Timothy says:
another good objective review of socom4
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/3109-SOCOM-4-U-S-Navy-SEALs-Video-Review
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Feb 26, 2011
Latest post:  May 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals - Playstation 3
SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (166)