Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Headphones for Everyone Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Catherine - Playstation 3 forum

How long do you think it will take Fow News to attack this game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2011 12:09:39 PM PST
RPT111 says:
I am surprised they haven't as of yet attacked Catherine. For example, they had a person claim Bulletstorm led to a increase in rape, before Bulletstorm was even released.

I am giving Fox News one week. I can only imagine what kind of crazy "facts" they will use to support this game as being evil.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 1:03:56 PM PST
FOX "News" can lick my sack!

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 1:59:21 PM PST
ortizre82 says:
LOL more reason to buy the game!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 2:39:58 PM PST
I. Davila says:
How about they probably wont since this game isn't as mainstream as hmm... I dunno Grand Theft Auto.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 3:56:48 PM PST
Solidus says:
I'm sure someone will be idiotic enough to claim that Catherine supports child molestation due to looking like one of those "creepy Chinese cartoons."

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 12:41:45 AM PST
Grady P. says:
It's probably too niche to attract their attention. But then again, they ARE Fox News.

Besides, if nothing else, no one will take it seriously and Catherine will get a big sales boost.

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 1:23:35 AM PDT
J. says:
I'm more interested in whether "Fow" was a typo of "Fox" or wild misspelling of "Faux."

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 4:33:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 5:00:39 PM PDT
J. O. says:
If it does happen, expect this game to become a collectors item 'really' quick.

I for one am glad to see japanese game developers taking a chance to see if there's a market in the US for the "Dating Sim" genre.
It'll take some time but I do think there's a market for it. I mean these type of games are a multi-billion dollar industry in Japan. We (the US) just needs to get it thru our skulls that just because its 'animated' DOES NOT mean its just for kids. Actually this is pretty tame when compared to some of their H PC games. [Side note:] Those games (console versions) are almost always toned down to a PG13ish level.

If FoxNews does come out of the woodworks to raise hell over this title, someone needs to tell them to take a page from their own book and say 'let the market regulate itself".
Talk about it too much and all they're doing is essentially giving the game free publicity. (On top of that) -- don't people usually want to do something even more after being told specifically not to do it, or at least to find out first hand what the big deal is?

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 1:57:22 PM PDT
wrw says:
It's highly unlikely this will get any news play anywhere. Persona 3 has repeated visual representations of kids "shooting" themselves in the head and that got 0 air time and Atlus US didn't receive a single complaint about it (this info came from one of the game's localizers on a podcast a couple years back).

News outlets don't cover games because of their content, but because of how high-profile they are. GTA will make the news every single time because people who have never played a video game will often at least have a vague idea of what the game is.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 11:40:04 PM PDT
Katalizator says:
What would make this game controversial? I'm just curious because I don't feel like researching it. I just stumbled upon this title.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 4:01:26 PM PDT
It has strong innuendoes as this game deals with relationships and the consequences of our actions in them. In the protagonist's case he ends up sleeping with a girl named Catherine when he has already been in a relationship with another girl named Katherine for five years. It's most notable if you look some of the early japanese trailers for this game. I guess the main issue is the strong subject of sex being brought up that is probably what most people are worried about. I guarantee you it won't be as blatant as some might and this is Atlus they have made games that have some some of the strangest images you have ever seen Persona 3 had characters shooting guns at their heads to summon their Personas and nobody complained about that.

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 8:33:47 PM PDT
Jacob Dyer says:
Fox might go after it since its so cartoonish, and they'll be stupid enough to assume that since its animated, its meant for young kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 10:30:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2011 10:36:41 AM PDT
J. O. says:
That's something we (America) needs to get over already... Just because something looks cartoonish DOES NOT mean its targeted at kids.

I'm not entirely sure if the tobacco companies weren't trying to target kids with their Joe Camell ads back in the day but I can guarantee that there are tons and tons of "cartoonish" comics and manga, and even video games (especially PC ones) sold in Japan that are definitely not for kids. And, they get it...
I don't know for sure how much of an industry adult manga/doujinshi/pc games are over there in Japan, but I think its up in the tens of billions if not more. There again though, the console releases (if they even have one) are toned down and don't really have near the controversialness as their PC counterparts.

As long as a game is M or Adult/only rated then there shouldn't be any limits to what a creator/developer/publisher is allowed to put in it. As long as the console maker doesn't mind. And they're stored behind counters or something similar, where ID's are checked when wanting to purchase them at any family oriented gaming outlet.

America has been thru enough of these things before. What with the mass burnings of comic books back in the 50's/60's? because parents didn't approve of stuff like tales from the crypt and stuff like that (sorry thats the only 'old' violent comic i know off-hand). And now its not anything unusual to see gore/blood/violence/etc. in graphic novels and video games published and sold here in the US. Heck even prime time TV has its share of that stuff now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 3:20:19 PM PDT
i was wondering that myself...

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 4:37:41 PM PDT
koolaid man says:
This isn't a dating sim game... The advertising is very misleading as to what the gameplay really is. Its basically a hard puzzle game/hooking story. That may upset some people who brought up their own interpretation of what the videos for the game really show.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 9:00:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2011 9:02:12 PM PDT
nothing956 says:
i think the game got full R rated movie lvl sex scenes in it too maybe even some nudity

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 9:31:18 PM PDT
RPT111 says:
lol, sorry for the typo. I tried to change it, but once posted I think it was to late.

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 5:36:37 AM PDT
Unit543 says:
there is nothing offending about this game so fox can care less,it's a puzzle game with sleek animations..no nudity or anything

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 11:47:55 AM PDT
thewindwaker says:
That's actually not the case... that's just the marketing Atlus decided to go with. I'd say it's more around a PG-13 level.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 10:44:21 AM PDT
Even the trailers aren't PG-13. Just because there might be no display of genitalia (or maybe even no breasts) doesn't mean it's not "R" rated. You don't have to be the movie "Unfaithful" to get an R rating these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 3:31:00 PM PDT
thewindwaker says:
Does it matter? The games shows no full frontal nudity or "sex scenes," just characters in the same bed...

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 7:15:08 PM PDT
zippo says:
I hope they do. That will help the game sell 500k more copies.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 8:55:27 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 2, 2011 11:59:18 AM PDT
Where would Fox news find out about the video game when there will probably be no TV adverts and only like 3 copies at gamestops not near huge anime clubs? C'mon, has Fox news ever raised hell about any randomly localized niche' title (or even an extremely popular anime series released on DVD with all the Naughty bits left in tact?). Not on the main network (although I wouldn't be surprised if a local station got all investigative on something every now and then).

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 3:45:16 PM PDT
wrw says:
Fox News and news programming on the basic Fox network are actually two separate entities. There was a stink a few years back when some of the guys at Fox were bashing Fox News for being so terrible and the big boss had to tell them to back off because they were diluting their brand.

Just mentioning since the way your post is worded makes it sound like the two are one in the same (a very reasonable assumption and one I had made too), so I just wanted to clarify since I think the truth is kind of interesting in this case.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 16, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Catherine - Playstation 3
Catherine - Playstation 3 by Atlus (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars (332)