5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to these--but quality of stock varies
Published on April 20, 2009 by R. Anguin

1.0 out of 5 stars Old, dry, disgusting when bought from Amazon!
Published on January 9, 2011 by Doc Stew

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to these--but quality of stock varies, April 20, 2009
This review is from: thinkThin Brownie Crunch, Gluten Free, 2.1-Ounce Bars (Pack of 10) (Health and Beauty)
I used to order these directly from Think Products and they were consistently chewy and fresh. Sometimes at health food stores they can be dry and tough and somewhat flavorless. The first Amazon order I got was dry, gross, and a total waste of money. I told Think Products and they never responded. The second order was excellent, tender, chocolatey, and chewy. The third order was not as fresh tasting. I love these bars and the fact that I can eat something that tastes like candy but is full of protein and has no sugar or questionable sugar substitutes, but the inconsistency of the batches is disconcerting. For the price, they should always be moist and fresh, not chalky.

1.0 out of 5 stars Old, dry, disgusting when bought from Amazon!, January 9, 2011
I've never had a problem with Amazon, but I've ordered this product TWICE, and BOTH times the bars were almost white because the chocolate was so old, dry, and totally disgusting. When I buy these from Trader Joe's, they're great, but from Amazon - stay away! They've refunded me both times, but apparently still haven't fixed the problem, as more and more people are saying the same thing. What's going on Amazon?

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM! Buy them. NO sugar., February 8, 2009
These bars do not taste like chocolate exactly and NO you do not think you are eating a chocolate bar --- be real. They have NO SUGAR. They are excellent though and you should buy these if you want to cut back or cut out your refined sugar intake. They are not Tseuchers --- they are a nutrition bar. Might be less expensive at Trader Joe's...not certain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, August 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I eat a lot of protein bars, my favorite being Quest bars. I tend to steer clear of protein bars that have that artificial/chemical flavor and unfortunately these fall into that category for me. Some flavors are better than others and this brownie crunch flavor was one of the better that I've tried, but I still wasn't a fan of it overall.

These have that typical "protein bar" texture that's a bit difficult to explain... it's somewhat dry and crumbly and almost seems to dissolve in your mouth as you chew. I also found this flavor to be too sweet. The bar itself would have been sweet enough without the added "chocolately" coating. The added crunch texture in the bar was odd at first but not entirely unwelcome as it broke up the monotony of the bar.

Unfortunately the biggest negative of this product is that I found myself hungry too soon after consuming it. For a product that has 230 calories and contains 20g of protein it should have kept me feeling satisfied for a lot longer than it did.

Overall I was not impressed with this product and doubt I'll be buying it in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars thinkthin Brownie Crunch, December 2, 2010
While these bars taste fine when purchased from a grocery store, the bars that arrived through Amazon were dry and tasteless, as though they had been sitting in a warehouse too long. We will not purchase them through Amazon again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite protein bar, March 10, 2013
BrotherSpider "Spider" (The Order of the Eternal Broken Nose) - See all my reviews
my dialysis nurse and i have been talking over protein bars and she brought this one up that was advertised on TV. no REFINED sugar and 20 grams of protein. not bad for such a little bar. there is some sugar alcohol in it, but that doesn't bother my diabetes as bad as the refined stuff does.

this bar is very chocolaty. i did like it, but it isn't my favorite 20 gram bar. i prefer Pure Protein Caramel Peanut flavor more. these are good. just not what i want

the crunchy peanut butter one tastes like a rice crispy treat with peanut butter and chocolate in it. these are a lot better, i think, then the crunchy brownie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cruncy Chocolate (Gluten Free) Snack Bar, June 26, 2013
Patricia Gray (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of my biggest complaints about gluten free snack bars is that they are not crunchy or crispy on the inside. Most of the bars on the market that are friendly for gluten free folks tend to be fruit and nut bars or super sweet and chewy. These snack bars, however, are a good mix of the sweet and crunchy that satisfies me between meals. I feel like I put something on my stomach, while satisfying any sweet tooth I might have.

I bring these bars with me wherever I go, something that is important for Celiac patients to do. They do not replace a meal for me, but they help get me through that extra hour or two before class is out or I'm done with work for the day.

The downside about these bars is that they pack a calorie-filled punch! The whole bar is about 4-5 bites. I don't use these often for in between meal snacks because they take up the calories of a full day of snacking does, but does it in 4-5 bites. To counter this, they do have 20g of protein and 2g of fiber. Not too shabby for these, but it could be a lot better.

3/5 stars for having an okay flavor, being crispy & crunchy, but also being a calorie laden short term solution to my hunger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, May 12, 2007
These bars are an excellent choice if you're trying to up your protein intake while watching your waistline. They are by far the best tasting when considering calories, fat, and protein content.

1.0 out of 5 stars First time ordered; last time ordered., May 23, 2014
Previously ordered a variety of Think Thin bars and never considered complaining about anything. However, received these for the first time, and ate half of one before a rather chewy, dry texture, and chemical taste alerted me to not eat more. Very strange for Think Thin so I tossed the remaining half and drank some water and forgot about it. Half an hour later the muscles in my calves started to ache and then my joints felt like I was getting sick with something. I can describe it now as similar to an inflammatory reaction. Its a mystery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe 0% sugar, but high sodium and very processed ingredients, May 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At first, they initially don't taste TOO bad, but they're not what I'd want to eat often. Wait a few seconds, and you begin tasting something that almost tastes like a chemical of some sort. Finish the bar, and the long lasting after-taste is not at all pleasant.

Note that they don't put the full ingredients in the product description, and market it as if it's a super healthy snack. Here's what's in it:

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Casienate, Soy Protein Isolate, Casein)
Glycerin
Malitol
Coating (Malitol, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Sodium Caseinate, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors, Salt)
Alkalized Cocoa
Almonds
Water
Soy Crisps (Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Salt)
Canola Oil
Soy Lecithin
Chocolate
Sea Salt
Natural Flavors.

Contains: Milk, Soy, Almonds
Manufactured in a plant that also processes eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts.

They tell you about their 0% sugar and gluten free status, but they don't tell the FULL story. How about 170 mg of sodium? That exceeds almost all of the common brands of tortilla chips I've seen. I consider Tostitos to be among the higher (not the highest) tortilla chips, and will not buy them for that reason alone. And they have 115 mg of sodium, meaning that these bars have almost 50% MORE sodium in them, per serving. By comparison, a 28 gram serving of Xochitil tortilla chips with sea salt contains 38 mg of sodium. Upping that serving to match the 60 grams of this snack bar still only works out to about 82 mg of sodium for 60 grams of chips vs. the 170 mg for this bar (less than ˝ the sodium). It's your choice, I'm just pointing it out.

So my 1-star rating (relatively rare for me to rate that low) is a combination of a poor initial taste that gets worse with time, then a very unpleasant after-taste, and the fact that they try to make it look like a really healthy snack bar when in fact it doesn't meet most "health food" aficionados' definition, given all the processed ingredients and high sodium content. If they were all that healthy, I suspect they'd also be trumpeting non-GMO soy beans, canola oil (the majority of canola oil is genetically modified), and almonds - which they don't. So one would have to assume you're eating GMO ingredients with these. Fine, if you want to, but many don't.

Amazon Vine members only got one bar to rate - that was all it took. I would never waste my money on a full box. And I have no inclination to try any of their other flavors, since they're highly likely to have most of the same ingredients, or at least manufactured with the same level of health benefits (or lack thereof) as this product. Nothing is "healthy" about 170 mg of sodium in a little bar like this, in my opinion, not to mention the other lack-luster "healthy" ingredients.

Rate and Discover Movies