5.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones from a great company
I got my Thinksound TS02 headphones two days ago and am very pleased.

Published on February 13, 2011 by Erica A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thinksound ts02 8mm
Published on January 19, 2012 by mazaw19

5.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones from a great company, February 13, 2011
This review is from: thinksound ts02-blkchoc 8mm Passive Noise Isolating Wooden Headphone with Award Winning Warm and Balanced Sound (Black/Chocolate) (Electronics)
I got my Thinksound TS02 headphones two days ago and am very pleased.

My favorite features are: (1) the headphones are designed with sustainable materials in mind, but without sacrificing function or form; and (2) they come with a variety of earbud sizes, guaranteeing a great fit. Firstly, the "green" almost-no-plastic product really appeals to me. I'm an engineer, and love seeing creative approaches to packaging and design like this -- so well done, Thinksound. Secondly, the different earbud adapters are a dream come true. Most earbuds (such as the ones included with my iPod, or the typical $9.99 pair at Walmart) are one size only, and simply don't fit my ears. They fall out, they hurt, they sound funny, and it's just a hassle. But these fit me perfectly! (And, in the unlikely event my spouse borrows them, he would be able to swap the fittings for his own ears.)

Various reviews for other Thinksound products mention things like cable noise, "tinny" sound quality, or insufficient base. Hey, I'm not an ultra-audiophile; I just want to be able to clearly hear my music/radio without bothering people around me. For my ears, the Thinksound TS02 earbuds are exactly what I want. I hear my music, and I don't hear the world around me. (Very useful for working out at the gym, for studying in the library, for trying to block out the sound of my kids watching Sponge Bob while I want to read...)

Thinksound has excellent customer service, responding quickly to questions or problems. The company CEO answers blog reviews and Amazon reviews personally. My email to Thinksound was answered in under an hour (on a WEEKEND). When the company owner is so responsive and positive, I feel confident he stands behind his product, takes pride in its quality and value, and will work with me to ensure I am satisfied. More companies should be like this!

This is a product that shows just how much it can be worth to pay for a top quality product. You get what you pay for, and with Thinksound TS02 you get beautiful earbuds, nice sound, a sustainable product, and peace of mind from knowing they will stand behind their work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, every step of the way, November 6, 2011
William (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
EDIT: After requesting a discounted set of new earphones in place of the ts02 pair I accidentally broke, Director of Operations Ray Fournier has offered to go beyond the terms of the thinksound warranty and replace them, free of cost.

Last year, I purchased thinksound's ts01 earphones. The first set I received were faulty, as the bonding glue holding the plastic to the wood came undone and the wires inside were mangled. After emailing customer service, I received a prompt reply from President and CEO Aaron Fournier. I was issued a new pair, within days, as well as a box and shipping label with which to send back the defective pair.

Following the initial break-in period typical of a new pair of headphones, I came to love the ts01 and found myself entirely unable to listen to any other in-ear headphones. After four months, however, the bond on one earphone failed again, so once more I invoked my warranty. Within hours, Director of Operations Ray Fournier informed me that not only would he replace my headphones, but also upgrade the pair with thinksound's newest model, the ts02. Upon arrival, I eagerly tore open the box and noticed that thinksound had improved the integrity of its packaging, snugly fitting the earphones into dense corrugated cardboard, for delightfully infallible protection. Recent thinksound packaging is 100% biodegradable*, which contributes substantially to the company's green image. Upon inspecting my newly obtained treasure, I realized the earphones looked very similar to the ts01, only that each wooden hull of the earphones was faceted on the sides and the thinksound insignia was emblazoned on the headphone jack (which is straight, not right-angled) and rear of the hulls. The appearance was overall an improvement on an already appealing design. Thinksound had truly outdone themselves with the ts02; it had the outstanding warmth and clarity of the ts01, but with optimized acoustic quality from a sleek, streamlined body. The Kevlar-reinforced cables were also more durable and tangle-resistant than its predecessor. But by far the best feature of the ts02, and presumably one in which you the buyer would be most interested, was the audio fidelity. Utterly unbelievable. Crisp (not shrill) treble, vibrant mid presence, and thumping yet BALANCED bass (NOT the house-rattling Dre Beats-esque atrocity that trendy meatheads have come to expect). Although I strongly prefer lossless files (my mp3 player is capable of handling FLAC), the ts02 makes even the lossiest of mp3 files infinitely more bearable.

Unfortunately, tragedy struck last night, when I fell off my bike, landing on the right earbud, completely shattering the wooden hull. Frankly, I would have much sooner smashed my phone or the $1 McDouble in my other pocket! Perhaps fortunately for you, however, this affords me unique insight into the construction of the earphones. The hull is approximately 1/8 in. thick and (otherwise) very sturdy. There is an acoustic insulating pad on the rear wall of the hull, for enhanced noise isolation, which leads me to my next point: the ts02 solely employs PASSIVE noise isolating technology; at present, this is preferable to active noise isolation, which utilizes circuitry to generate destructively interfering sound waves (which actually limits the sound quality of headphones). Thanks to highly functional engineering, only at maximum volume does the slightest bit of sound effuse to the outside world, useful for listening to music while people nearby are trying to sleep.

In summary, I love the ts02 and fully intend to order another pair. I doubt I will ever find a set of in-ear headphones that trumps superior thinksound engineering. From my personal, if somewhat frequent, dealings with thinksound, I can assure you that this a purchase you will not regret.

Audio fidelity: 10
Acoustic balance: 10
Noise isolation: 9.5
Aesthetic design: 10
Functional design: 10
Customer service: 10

Grade: A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet music, very comparable to Rains, August 4, 2012
I also own the Thinksound Rains and have had them for over a year now, and they've been my go to headset for quality. I was itching to try the newer model from the company, the ts-02 (minus the micophone) since it came out. When the opportunity arose, I bought a pair and am pleased with what I hear.

What I hear: If you're a vocal music lover, this is the headphone for you, as they are designed for warm midrange sounds. Opera, Broadway musicals, Katie Melua all sound amazing. Additionally these work great for string instruments, plucked or played with a bow. What this headset cannot do is satisfy bassheads--a small 8mm driver just isn't going to do the job. The bass is there but its hardly overpowering. So for those looking for bass, you might just have to try the ts-01 (formerly Thunder).

Compared to Thinksound Rain: the Rains are one of the original models that came out from the company, and were designed with classical music and accuracy in mind. When I reviewed them, I said they work great for classical and movie soundtrack music--like they were designed to. When I compare the Rains to the ts-02, I find that the ts-02 have a definite treble boost compared to the Rain. Its not jarring, but there. The ts-02 is definitely brighter than the Rains, which works better on a wider genre of music. This was exactly the purpose of the ts-02 and the company has once again made a very nice IEM for the environmentally conscious consumer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thinksound ts02 8mm, January 19, 2012
So I've gone through two pears of Thinksound headphones, the ts01 10mm, and the ts02 8mm high def. I have to say that both of them have superb sound quality. As for build quality I haven't gotten the best of luck. I've had the wood that connects to the plastic peace come completely off, leaving all the innards exposed and this is with both pears. I've come to the conclusion that it's in issue with the glue they use. I admit I'm kinda hard on them, and I only use them in the gym. I'm deployed in Afghanistan, but I know it's not the heat cause it's winter out here. I would have rated this product five stars, I'm only given it three because of build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm rich sound!, March 8, 2012
My previous headphones (NuForce NE-700X Audiophile-Grade Earphones (Aqua Silver)were still working great, but I wanted a more relaxed sound vs. the bright punchy sound that my Nuforce's produced, so I decided to give these a try. I am so happy I did! These headphones sound great even without a burn-in. They produce a rich and warm sound and they are so much thinner than my previous headphones which means they are more comfortable to wear. However, even though they are thin it does not mean they are fragile! These headphones are built tough and I fell like they will last even when they are living in my laptop bag, which is gadget torture.

I would also recommend buying the comply eartips to go with these headphones because they produce a great seal and wonderful noise reduction --> Comply Tx-200 Foam Tips (Black-Medium), 3-Pair Pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, Excellent customer service!, May 10, 2012
My thirty minute commute to university is now my favourite part of the day!

After buying a pair of these a little over six months ago I have been more than impressed with the quality of sound. As the owner of a pair of reference class cans I can tell you that they're not the most accurate headphones in the world, but WOW are they fun! With plenty of bass in the low ends these things are perfect for deep thumping tracks, You can feel the skin of the kick drum flexing in your head every time it gets pounded. The rich well rounded sound makes softer more modest music full and thick; every instrument is well placed, leaving the vocals slightly prominent, which is fantastic for more stripped back tracks. Cold rainy days sat on a train will never be more enjoyable than with these things plugged in your ears.

The customer service at Thinksound is second to none. I gave them an E-mail after having a slight issue with my headphones and received a reply within minutes of pressing send. The guys at Thinksound were quick and effective at sorting my problem and I was kept well informed via E-mail throughout the process.

For the price of these headphones, which is a steal, I can't recommend them enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing customer service, July 3, 2012
I bought the thinksound rain headphones from Amazon, and after about 5 uses, I lost most of the sound in the right earbud. I emailed thinksound (per their website) and almost immediately got a response from Ray, their director of operations. He attached a return authorization so I could send the headphones back for repair or replacement. In the course of our emailing, I asked him if he thought the rain were the best choice if I was going to use them mainly for running. He said he preferred the ts02 because they are more powerful. He offered to replace my rain with the ts02 if I preferred. I sent the rain back, and had a pair of new ts02's in less than a week. The entire transaction was so seamless. Ray responded to my emails within an hour. I love how these sound and more importantly, how they fit. I always had trouble finding earbuds that didn't hurt my ears after 30 minutes. These are so comfortable- I cleaned the entire house while listening to them, and they sounded and felt great. I also love the sustainable materials and innovative cardboard packaging they come in. This is truly a great company to deal with. Hopefully, you won't have any reason to have to return your earbuds, but rest assured that if you do, the level of customer service you will experience will blow you away.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these!, November 20, 2013
I love these bad boys! My Klipsch S4's finally went out after 3 years of rugged use. I was in love with them, but out with the old and in with the new! As a typical teenager, I wanted something with clear highs, crisp bass(but not overwhelming), and sturdy. Personally thought these looked great. Still breaking them in, but right out of the box, I was extremely impressed with the sound quality as well as the build quality. I would recommend this to anyone. Great for hip-hop, edm, r&b, rap. The bass was perfect and the vocals are much more than I anticipated.

Update: The left driver stopped working after a week, and I tried to blow into it and cleaning it the way they instructed me to do. After sometime I gave up, and contacted thinksound support and asked them about it. They responded within 24 hours and asked me to send in my pair. Turns out I had a defective driver and they sent me a new one within a week. I was more than happy with the level of customer support and and going to continue ordering from them once they come out with new products! Thank you, Ray.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbearable wire noise, December 22, 2012
These headphones look and sound great. They also do a decent job at isolating noise, which is perfect if you work in an office. However, the constant noise the cable makes when it rubs up against ANYTHING is unbearable. I literally can't turn my head an inch without it rubbing up against a part of my shirt, and the noise it makes is beyond distracting. I've tried the clip that comes with it, and it doesn't make a difference. You literally CANNOT move your head because the slightest touch of the cord makes it sound like you're hitting the head of a microphone. I cannot recommend these headphones to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound and the BEST customer service!, August 17, 2012
Not only do these headphones provide some of the best sound around the companies customer service is the BEST! One of the phones started shorting out a week before the warrantee period ended. I almost didn't contact them because of my normal experience with most companies at this point in a warrantee but I finally sent an email. In a quick exchange they gave me an RMA and told me to send them in. They replaced them without question, sent me instructions on how to better care for them. Brand new ones just like that!! THEN once they had diagnosed the problem weeks later they sent a follow up email telling me how to avoid the same problem in the future. Simple OUTSTANDING!