4.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing that Transcends
I stumbled upon the show this week because as I was watching "Side Effects," I looked up its cast. One of the actresses was Polly Draper, who was also in "thirtysomething." One thing led to another and I looked up "thirtysomething" on Netflix and sadly it wasn't there. So, I found it on Amazon Prime and thank goodness I did.

I was always...
Published 7 months ago by FTC

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait and switch. Not a Prime video series.
I loved this show and when I saw it was a Prime video I happily watched the first few episodes. Then, tonight when I tried to watch the next episode, it suddenly was not a Prime video any more. Now you want me to pay. I consider this a bait and switch. Don 't put the Prime ribbon on a video, get someone interested in the series again and suddenly make it pay per view.
Published 1 month ago by J. Blakney

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait and switch. Not a Prime video series., June 4, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing that Transcends, November 28, 2013
FTC "FTC" (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews

I was always curious about "thirtysomething" in the early 90s when I was in middle school.

I am going to be 35-years-old next month and boy is it all so relevant to me right now. Initially, I thought the first two episodes presented very distant self-indulgent and whiny characters. Then I realized that if there was a taping of MY everyday life, that I too and my group of friends would appear to be self-indulgent and whiny yuppies. It is so darn relatable in terms of relationship dynamics - especially the marital problems that stem from differences related to trust, communication, money, intimacy, self-doubt, family of origin and more. I don't always watch the graphics, but I most certainly listen to the dialogue while I work on other windows or documents on my PC.

I am on Season 1, episode 17 right now. I hope it keeps delivering the goodness!

5.0 out of 5 stars Relationship issues still relevant 20+ years later, August 20, 2013
This review is from: thirtysomething Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
I watched this series back when it originally aired and loved it. I was not going to watch it again because I figured I already knew what happened and there would be no surprises. I am really glad I decided to watch it again. The cast and writing are both awesome. The relationship issues and day to day struggles these characters have are still relevant today. I am also watching each episode as if seeing it for the first time. I really hated seeing this show end back in the day, because I so looked forward to watching it every week. I even remember crying like a baby when that particular character was killed (I won't say who, so as not to spoil for a 1st time viewer). Thirtysomething is quality thought provoking entertainment, which is a rarity it television these days. The nostalgia is fun too, home computers were just starting to be popular, there were no "smart phones", and people were still renting movies on VHS tapes. It is amazing how much technology has changed in so little time, yet we as humans still have the same life issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good show of the 80s/90s, August 20, 2013
This review is from: thirtysomething Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
Great show to show the culture of the baby boomers in the 80s/90s. Some of the characters whine too much but tolerable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminiscing..., April 20, 2013
I watched this drama when it was on tv many years ago... I still remembered all the characters. But not the stories... I watched all 4 seasons and enjoyed all of them. I think the cast should get back together and do "fiftysomething" !!!

1.0 out of 5 stars not cool amazon, June 5, 2014
The few episodes i got to see were good but then amazon yanked it from prime! What the heck is that about amazon? Not cool....benefits keep getting less and less for more money....very disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for a 25 year old TV show, July 17, 2012
Yes, the references are terribly dated. And yes, many of the catch-phrases are antiquated. And yes, some of the music and acting are a little melodramatic. Still, this show contains enough depth and insight into the human experience, and enough humor, that it is still enjoyable years later - a rare accomplishment for serial television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Holds Up, October 4, 2013
I originally watched this in the late 80s when I was in high school. After gang watching or re-gang watching all of "the" shows (Mad Men, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, etc.) and then even moving through West Wing...I stumbled back on this. I was worried it would be dated, but it very much holds up...and it's very interesting to see this again from the "other side" as I'm now OLDER (gulp) than the characters in this show!

The writing and acting are excellent. In particular I'm impressed with how bold it all is...breaking the fourth wall, dream sequences, themed shows, flashbacks.

I can really see the influence this show had on a show like Six Feet Under.

If you like this once before or maybe even not...go ahead and give this a try....I think you'll still love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Do I Have To Pay Extra To Stream The Entire Series?, June 17, 2014
Carol (Jackson Heights, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: thirtysomething Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
Just got Amazon Prime about a month ago. Watched a couple of episodes for free. Now I have to pay extra to watch the rest? I am paying $99.00 a year for this subscription and just about everything I want to see is not included in Prime. Total rip-off. May not be renewing come next year unless Amazon reconsiders its streaming policy. Come on, Amazon, are you going bankrupt to the point where you have to nickel and dime your customers?

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Prime Video Streaming Ruined the Show, June 3, 2014
The show is good but Amazon Prime Video streaming is so bad that it keeps stopping. a one hour show takes closer to 2 hours to complete because of the hassle.

Rate and Discover Movies