Is this Collector's Edition worth $149.99?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2011 3:09:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2011 3:10:32 PM PDT
Robert P. says:
First, let me start by saying I was really looking forward to the Skyrim CE announcement. I've purchased the Oblivion and Fallout Collector's Editions and was happy with the quality of the items. In the Skyrim CE you get a Dragon statue, Art book, "Behind the scenes" DVD, etc., but no exclusive DLC or game case. The normal Bethesda CE price has gone from $79 to $150. I'm not sure it's worth the price... What do you think?

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 3:21:15 PM PDT
T. Wilson says:
I just found out about it tbh lol

I don't know why its such a high price O__O I mean it does not seem worth it to me at all tbh, i still will get it....maybe but the statue is kinda EH imo

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 3:51:53 PM PDT
J. Wilder says:
A statue made of PVC? No, I don't think so. I was hoping for a "Guide to the empire" or in-game stuff. The art book is the only interesting part of this.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 5:59:00 PM PDT
Pancho Villa says:
Pancho Villa says "No Go"

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 6:09:57 PM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
I saw the news on G4's iPhone app, where it was described as "extremely limited." That's the main reason I'm going for it, where I usually don't get CE's or less expensive CE's. I would like to know what "extremely limited" actually means, since from a collecting standpoint it kind of sucks when they re-release or do very large "limited" runs (ex: Super Mario All-Stars Wii).

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 6:51:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2011 6:53:49 PM PDT
K. Wendt says:
@Mike P. Snyder-They said that about the Halo Reach Legendary edition, but I can find them new easily, so don't buy into that too much.

I would buy it no questions asked if it were $79.99...even so, I'm still considering it!

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 7:48:00 PM PDT
Was looking forward to this announcement. The only cool thing a part of the CE though is the dragon statue, art book (never liked the idea) so no, map cool but comes with the regular edition if you pre order it, and the dvd again nah. Overall I would say the Skyrim CE is a no go for me.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 9:05:16 PM PDT
I'm not a hardcore TES fan but was looking forward to the CE announcement too. For now I'll pre-order however I have to watch a video depicting how nice the Alduin Statue really is, before I put down $150.

I usually go for CE priced at $80 and make exceptions for franchises that I really like and even buy CE priced at $150. According the announcement the quantities will be limited, here is the quote:

"If you're interested in purchasing, we recommend you pre-order asap, as the it will be available in extremely limited quantities."

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/08/05/quakecon-2011-skyrim-collectors-edition-announced/

So if Alduin is like OMG! and the CE indeed comes sold out, I'll buy it....is a 50/50 probability right now and even more wanting to buy: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition (already paid off), Gears 3 CE, Rage, Dark Souls, Battlefield 3, MW3, Halo CE: Anniversary and A. Creed: Revelations (maybe)...that's not even including Resident Evil HD Collection and Metal GearsSolid HD Collection.

So we will see if Bethesda's decision to not offer a $80 CE is appropriate.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 9:21:28 PM PDT
Important Info!

Well it seems this part is indeed true: "will be available in extremely limited quantities."

I just noticed that you can only pre-order 1 CE Edition, even if you try to pre-order for different platforms, I haven't tried to order from different Amazon Accounts to the same address.

So there you go, if you would really like to have this in your collection the go and pre-order it.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 9:22:17 PM PDT
D. Everts says:
I think they are going with the going rate for these editions. Most companies are doing a three tier set up now though.
149 being the one with a statue.
Gears of War 3 has a statue of Marcus Fenix. 149
Star Wars: The Old Republic has a sith. 149

Seems to be the going rate with a statue that normally would probably cost you 20 bucks in a store. But because the only way to get it is inside here they can charge a little more.

My problem is, I am a sucker for statues. Makes my game room look a lot cooler with each one I get.

Man, gaming is costing me a fortune this year. ;)

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 9:45:39 PM PDT
Matt says:
@Juancho Iregui,

Being limited to one per account/household doesn't necessarily confirm that it's "very limited". Many other collector's edition's I've ordered only allow one per account/household, and still have CE's available for month's, if not years, after the original release date, and usually for much cheaper. Not to mention, they only say that just to get more purchases. Do you really think they would turn down $150, and tell someone, sorry, sold out, we will only accept $60 from you...not likely. It seems like most CE's say (limited quantities available) and that ends up meaning that you can get it no matter what if you pre-order before it's release, and in most cases they will over-produce and have thousands of copies available after release as well.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 3:57:12 AM PDT
its a waste of money, you can buy almost 3 brand new releases for the cost of this. i dont know about you guys but i buy games to PLAY them not for some stupid statue to confirm i'm a man-child.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 9:18:48 AM PDT
Xeyska says:
I'm not getting the Collector's Edition, maybe if it included some ingame items but even then its not really worth it. Too expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 9:38:26 AM PDT
@Matt

You're right I think we'll just have to wait and see....

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 2:06:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2011 2:08:28 PM PDT
Mark says:
Extra 90 is an instant no way from me, art books are nice but a pvc statue, eh. I'm tired of the pretending to be rare approach.

We as gamers should insist to know actual production numbers, and let us determine rarity from there. How many collector's editions are we seeing on shelves way past release, getting cut in price, waste of money.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 4:02:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2011 4:03:38 PM PDT
Mark King nailed it. 90 bucks for a plastic statue, an art book, and a documentary? You've got to be kidding. Gaming companies make no attempt to actually tell you how limited it is, they just say "limited edition". When you consider all the money you'll be throwing down for the inevitable DLC after the game is released, you'll have spent close to 300 dollars on this game in total. Unless a game has exclusive in-game content included with the CE, all of these "limited editions" are a complete waste of money. If I wanted a collection of cheap, plastic toys I'd go buy a box of cereal and get it for free.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 5:48:45 PM PDT
Kylar Stern says:
I agree, Mark T. King has it right on. This is a total ripoff. My only thoughts on why Bethesda is doing this is to try to recoup their losses on such games as Brink (and others) this past year that have been lousy and subpar. I also want to quote what PVC is: "PVC is a controversial material in that during its production, useful life and incineration, especially in accidental and uncontrolled circumstances, it may liberate persistent toxins (see the section "Health and safety"), which the manufacture, use and destruction of suitable alternative plastics such as polypropylene do not."
AMAZON AND BETHESDA SHOULD NOT BE SELLING THIS!

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 2:10:30 AM PDT
Justin says:
Yeah I think I'll be skipping this myself. I already have several games I'm "trying" to save for & this is just way too expensive. I'm sad about not being able to get it but I'll get over it. The statue & art book are the main interest to me (aside from the game itself, of course.), but I don't see the both of them being worth that much. My list is already way too full & I don't have a damn job so I'm paying for all of my games this year by online surveys. (Ha! It's crazy I even have as much as I do.)
I've already got my regular edition pre-ordered for $55. I could probably get this if I keep saving, but...I still have Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Rage, Dead Island, Batman Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations...& there are many more. Then there's next year, with Mass Effect 3 in March. Not to mention all others. x_x Guess I'll pass on this. Damn, I was hoping it would be like $99 at the most. lol Gaming is killing me, & it's already taken my wallet.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 12:38:02 PM PDT
Rannxz says:
Probably not, but for me it is. Oblivion is my favorite game of all time and I know I'll love Skyrim. I've put almost 1000 maybe even a little more in Oblivion and if it's true that Skyrim will have more content and stuff to do, I'm sure I'll put much more time in Skyrim than in Oblivion.

So to the regular gamer, who just 'likes' the Elder Scrolls games, most likely not. After all it is a little expensive. But for me, I'd pay any amount for a Collector's Edition of a Bethesda developed game. After all, every game that Bethesda has developed have been very high quality and some of the best I've ever played. Hell 3 of Bethesda developed games are in my top ten games of all time.

Please remember that there is a difference between Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks. The games that Bethesda publishes aren't really the best, but the games they make internally are some of the best.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 12:41:22 PM PDT
T. Wilson says:
I'm a huge fan but I wnt get this even if I have the cash, dnt care for no plastic dragon

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 11:19:22 AM PDT
It's worth $90 at most in my opinion. A plastic dragon that will collect dust, an art book you'll look at maybe once, and a dvd which will be uploaded onto youtube in a day. There is just no way this thing is worth $150 and this is coming from a huge TES fan. I know I'll enjoy Skyrim immensely but this CE is a no go for me.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 1:22:30 PM PDT
WildOat says:
Although I'm in line for a copy of it, doesn't mean I think it's worth it. No, I know, it's not worth it, but neither are a lot of things. Like the cost of games. When a Cliff pulls up in a fancy sports car we all think there is something wrong and after we get in our clunkers, we know it. Yet we do it. By the way, report by Bethesda states the PC Version looks way better than the Xbox Version.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 2:21:17 PM PDT
Mark says:
Well, if individuals continue to buy when they know it isn't worth it, I won't be expecting change anytime soon then. And people have nice things either because they make good money, use their money well, or both. You won't see a collector's edition in the passenger seat of that sports car :)

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 4:44:50 PM PDT
I look forward to every Collector's Edition that Bethesda puts out. I won't even try to deny that I'm a Bethesda fan boy and I have the CE's of Oblivion, Fallout3 and New Vegas to prove it. However, even with that said, there's no way I can convince myself that the Skyrim CE is worth that much money. I don't like it, but it's the standard version for me this time. To be completely honest, I can actually say I now have doubt to whether I'll even get the standard version now.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 7:40:22 PM PDT
Eduardo says:
not worth it 4 150 now 100 thats a good deal
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  93
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  Aug 5, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition -Xbox 360
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition -Xbox 360 by Bethesda (Xbox 360)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (72)