Is this appropriate for a 12 year old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2011 9:42:25 AM PST
RolnRokk says:
My son (age 12) likes graphic novels and wants this book. I've seen the TV show and there is a lot of foul language and sexual encounters. Is the comic like that also? I don't mind the gore of killing walkers, but don't want him to read a lot of swearing and casual sex. Thanks for the input!

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 9:42:12 PM PST
RolnRokk says:
Never mind, I answered my own question by reading description on Wikipedia. Definitely NC-17 rating equivalent. Also seems to focus more on human-human brutality than human-zombie warfare. I won't be buying this for my son.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 7:14:50 AM PST
Good choice. It's not for a young reader. There are lots of great books to check out especially if he's in to heroes.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 2:49:47 PM PST
J. Ferry says:
extreme violence is ok but curse words and sex are not? you need to check your priorities.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 10:35:51 PM PST
M. De Meis says:
I laughed out loud when seeing this thread title. As you found out, this series should stay as far away from a 12 year old as you can get it. I read the compendium almost a year ago and vowed never to continue the series after I was so emotionally disturbed from the events in that book. I mean we're talking some truly harrowing, disturbing, tense inducing, heart breaking material here, where each page turn can lead to feelings of uneasiness and an overall sense of dread as you never know when you'll turn the page and see one of the many beloved characters just die in horrific way. The compendium left me feeling hopeless for these characters, and if anything wanted to make me slit my wrists, it would be the end of Volume 8.

With that being said, I decided to pick up from where I left off, being books 5-7, and I'm glad I didn't give up on this series as it's been very strong so far and really is one of my favorite graphic novels of all time. Never before has a comic/book made me feel so many emotions while reading it. So for the record, keep far away from kids!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:07:52 PM PST
Welcome to the thinking of America. Extreme violence, murder, death, torture is perfectly fine for the kids. But heaven forbid a kid hear a single curse word or even hear the word sex, much less see, read or think about anything actually to do with the act. God bless America.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 2:05:42 PM PST
Very good choice. It is definitely NOT for a child. But it is a fascinating story that is quite good for adults. There are places where Kirkman does wallow a little in the sick, but for the most part, it is a very good story. What I like is the interplay between the people. The zombie apocalypse is merely the impetus to throw together a bunch of people who must overcome great adversity to survive. It is definitely NOT for all tastes, and as I said, does wallow at times in unnecessary violence and brutality (the governor series in particular), but that is not the focus of the book. Good art, yes this is art, should be provocative and illicit strong reactions, but adults should be aware of what they are getting into. If you are easily disturbed by occasional graphic brutality, this is not for you. But if you want a taut, well-written story (with a few missteps), this is definitely for you. Approach with caution. It is hard R to NC-17 territory.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 12:21:53 PM PST
Spartan says:
Wait a minute...you don't mind him reading a book with "gore of killing walkers," (graphic violence) "but don't want him reading a lot of swearing and casual sex"? I pretty sure that he either has played video games, watched TV programing, movies, seen internet sites, or goes to public school were he is exposed to lots of "swearing" and at least some kind of sexual innuendo on a daily basis. I'm not condoning him or you allowing him to read this book, but the hypocrisy here of "I don't mind the gore of killing walkers, but don't want him to read a lot of swearing and casual sex", give me a break, I bet he's heard language at home or school that is the equivalent of what is in the book. (And yeah I've read it.) As far as the "casual sex", thats on prime time TV, video games, and movies I'm sure that he's already been exposed to this. I really tired of people complaining about sex in our society, its a natural act that two people share when they love or are attracted to one another. I understand that the book also has rape in it, but guess what you can go to the public library and find very similar content in it. But its okay for him to read a book with "gore of killing walkers"? I so want to say more about this, but the hypocrisy in our society is a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 9:03:30 PM PST
The comic is about 10 times worse then the show. I wouldn't allow any children I knew to read it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 9:03:57 PM PST
I agree

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 8:34:25 AM PST
L. Kohl says:
Sure are a lot of self righteous, opinionated folks here... I don't believe it's anyone's business what that guy decides to let his kid do. And what does America have to do with any of it? I'm taking it that you have never seen Japanese comics/ movies for 1 example.
You don't have to like it.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 8:35:22 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2012 8:35:39 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 9:45:09 AM PST
RolnRokk says:
Hi Spartan - I think you overlooked where I said "a lot" regarding swearing and casual sex. Yes my son has heard all the swear words and understands unmarried people sometimes have sex. But I don't want to buy him a book with f-bombs on every page or where everyone is sleeping around. To me that makes it seem like I am condoning it. In the TV series there are a few major curse words each show, and in 13 episodes there have been two casual hook-ups, one of which turned into a relationship. I honestly don't see how you read from my post that I'm complaining about sex in society. I just don't want to buy my son a book that focuses on casual sex when he is still pretty young. And as you note, there is a graphic rape scene in the comic, which is way out of bounds for his age. I'm not trying to shield him from exposure to any sex or swearing, but I also don't want to contribute to it. As for killing walkers, these are brain-dead monsters out to devour all living humans. I see a big difference between killing dangerous creatures for your and your family's safety and some of the human-vs-human brutality that is in this comic. I don't think that makes me a hypocrite.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 7:21:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 7:23:53 PM PST
Spartan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 9:59:57 AM PST
RolnRokk says:
Whatever. I'm done here. You can go back to your self-rightous life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 8:19:41 PM PST
Spartan says:
Violence is Violence, doesn't matter how you justify it, still makes you a hypocrite. "As for killing walkers, these are brain-dead monsters out to devour all living humans. I see a big difference between killing dangerous creature for you and your family safety and some of the human-vs-human brutality that is in this comic". So it's okay to use violence as long as your justified in doing it? You said it, not me. I'm not against violence, just against people saying one thing and doing another. oh...wait that sounds like: hypocrisy. See look: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:55:10 PM PDT
I think so. but you may not. at his age and even today I was totally into horror movies and books. if he likes the original 'dawn of the dead' movie then he will like this one. in book form that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 8:39:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 8:42:58 AM PDT
I grew up on 80's and 90's horror movies, omitting the sex and I think I turned out okay. I don't let my kids watch things containing sex and nudity either but I let my oldest watch TWD. I guess that makes me crazy. (Sorry, I meant hypocrite)

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 11:21:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2012 11:22:23 PM PDT
J. Walton says:
When I was in school, every kid I knew with a triple digit I.Q. was reading Stephen King by the age of 12 - it's just that some kids had to borrow my copy at lunch and get their reading done half an hour at a time. I made quite a bit of cash paying six bucks a copy for playboy to over 18 proxy buyers and then selling them to kids at school for 12 bucks.

These days, all they need is a friend whose parents bought them a 'Droid and didn't install any netnanny software, and they're seeing videos that would make Ron Jeremy puke.

I get it if you don't want to buy it for him because that would be condoning it, but don't think he hasn't seen a lot worse, and without the remove of it just being drawings. You're not protecting him from it unless you've got him locked in the basement.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 11:17:08 PM PDT
C. Jackson says:
You should really stop being a dense simpleton. It's clear that you're here just to try and pick on people or an entire country for that matter. When did the topic creator ever say he/she was ok with their kid being exposed to extreme violence, murder, torture etc? They said that the violence against "walkers", zombies that are no longer living and trying to murder innocent people, was acceptable... probably because most 12 year old's are smart enough to distinguish the difference in zombies and human beings. You probably aren't. Then he/she made a post right after that stating that they found out the comics focused more on violence pertaining to human vs. human so they decided it wasn't for their child, a very wise decision as this book is extremely mature. Stop putting words into other peoples mouth just to try and pick a fight on Amazon... you're pretty pathetic. Also, sex is one of the most driving forces in the world (maybe you'll find out one day) especially when a young child is exposed to it. It can lead to unplanned pregnancy which could ruin child's lives, disturbing behavior due to the child's curiosity and even warped views of reality. I'd say that's a little more important and serious that a kid seeing some zombies getting killed on TV. Lrn2usecommonsenseFTW.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 1:40:25 PM PST
M. Richards says:
Just so you know the comic has very little sleeping around, in the first compendium there is 3 relationships, and when one of them ends another begins, and one casual hook up, but they are by no means sleeping around, and the show is not much worse than the book, add some F-words and it would be a faithful adaptation excluding a character not getting raped. If this is what you consider unacceptable hopefully you are stopping him from watching the rest of the show, since there will begin to be much more human-human killing.

Posted on May 3, 2013 9:55:19 AM PDT
Ryan says:
Every heard of goosebumps?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2014 8:17:11 AM PST
Steven says:
Theres a ton of sex and profanity
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Walking Dead:  Compendium One
The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Paperback - May 19, 2009)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (1,203)