Is this book appropriate for very advanced reading children
asked by Sharon T. on May 7, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
The horrors experienced by Louie and the other POWs is, in my opinion, too violent for children. I would suggest that it is appropriate for high school age students but certainly not younger children.
E. Piper answered on May 7, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This book is very descriptive/graphic of the treatment/beatings, acts of humiliation of POWs in Japan. I do not think anyone under 16 should read this, especially with out ongoing discussion with an adult.
M. Zaun answered on May 7, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It probably depends on the age. The book is about the author being a prisoner of war in WWII and it's graphic. Not as graphic as what is seen on violent movies or television, though. See if you can see some inner pages or check the library first.
Debra Coffey answered on May 7, 2013

A
I think it's a good book for a middle school student that has studied the World War II. My daughter is in 7th grade and she saw "The Pianist" which is similar in brutality as this book and it furthered her interest in reading more biographical history.
michele answered on May 7, 2013

A
No. It's very graphic about the POW camps and has some information that could be very disturbing to children.
Julie Nelson answered on May 7, 2013

A
I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone under 15. There is way too much violence.
Jane Louise Hageseter answered on May 8, 2013

A
I would not let a young child read it..maybe a mature teenager..some things that happened to the POW'S are heart wrenching...
M. Mccarthy answered on May 8, 2013

A
for any student studying World War II - I think it would be excellent, very first person, but it isn't whitewashed. It could be very disturbing to younger children, no matter their reading ability, their emotional maturity level is what will matter. This book depicts man's inhumanity to man. Very sad, but tries to explain it from both sides. It shows a lot of perseverance over adversity. You don't always like the "hero", but it is very thought provoking. Great ice breaker, particularly if you have a family member or friend that is a WWII vet. I talked about it with my father, parts of his memory are beginning to fail (he's 93), but he had stories to add that I had never heard from him before.
Gail Fox answered on May 8, 2013

A
I believe young teenagers should read this book to learn of the sacrifices people have made so they can be free. The brutality isn't that graphic, and it depicts real life.
Amazon Customer answered on May 9, 2013

A
A good book for teenagers, but I wouldn't recommend it for children below middle school age (assuming that middle school is either 7th & 8th, or 7th, 8th, and 9th). The reading ability of the child would not be the issue for me, but rather the level of violence. I have two grandchildren, one who just graduated from hs and the other who is going into 4th grade. The teenager was assigned the book when it first came out and liked it, but the 4th grader is way too young for the book, even though she is a good reader.
Ms Winston answered on June 9, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product