Has this been newly restored & remastered?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2006 5:41:02 PM PDT
dooby says:
I have the original 20th Anniversary Ed (2002) of Brideshead Revisited. The picture is tolerable considering that it was shot on 16mm, although compared to newer DVDs, it would look shabby. Has this edition been improved upon image-wise? I'd gladly pay for an upgrade as I've loved this miniseries since I first saw it some 20-odd years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2006 8:30:08 AM PDT
Have you found any info on the quality? Like you, I have the 20th Anniv. edition and was quite disappointed in the quality. Also, I hope this version is widescreen, if that is possible from a 16-mm print. If you can point me to a source I would appreciate knowing more. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2006 6:45:12 PM PDT
dooby says:
Sorry, no luck. Haven't come across any reviews on the new edition so far. You might want to check occasionally with DVDTalk or DVDFile. They are some of the sites that provide reviews of more than the standard Hollywood fare. DVDTalk has a review of the old 20th Anniv Ed of Brideshead.

Curious as to why you'd want Brideshead in widescreen. It's an old TV show originally shot in fullscreen. For it to be in widescreen, it'd have to be cropped across the top and bottom of the frame. Not a very pleasing prospect. Anyways, hope someone here posts a review soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2006 5:52:04 AM PDT
JGS says:
This new 25th Anniversary box set looks exactly the same to me -- I've been comparing them side by side. If there is a difference -- I don't really see it -- minimal at best and that is just to be kind. Well, it is released by Acorn and their quality of remastering is "Boo! Hiss!!" for the most part. With an important and great title in Television history as Brideshead Revisited, the restoration should have been given to Warner Bros. to do their incredible magic on!!!!!!! I love this title and was really hoping for much much more quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2010 10:22:05 PM PDT
Valinorean says:
What we need is a Blu ray format version. Given the way Pride and Prejudice looks on Blu (1995) we can only hope someone takes Brideshead and works their incredible magic on it, too.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 6:34:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2011 6:35:21 PM PST
Unfortunately, ITV are either too cheap and lazy to re-transfer the entire series from film elements with a modern telecine (true "remastering") or...even worse...those film elements might not have been preserved. Meaning there would be no hope of it ever looking better again. Sadly, just as scores of Doctor Who episodes were junked or erased, the forward thinkers of the time probably never realized there would be a high resolution home distribution media in the future. Oh well, at least it was shot on film, which still had a better exposure latitude than the video cameras of the day.

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 1:36:40 PM PDT
Help. I just want the best version I can get (visual quality being the most important thing). I am now totally confused. Are the 25th and 30th anniversary issues virtually the same (apart from the addition of documentaries, etc.,)? Is the quality of the picture the same? I watched it when it first broadcast, and it is my favorite television series of all time). If it was not transferred in the best way possible, it's the crime of the century!

Would appreciate any advice.

Helene (Theologian)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2006
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Brideshead Revisited, Book 1 [VHS]
Brideshead Revisited, Book 1 [VHS] by Brian Hayes (II) (VHS Tape - 1993)
5.0 out of 5 stars   (1)