Canon Rebel XS DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black) (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $228.00
Is this the best camera for a new student? Hello,
I need some advise on what camera to buy. I am going back to school for photography and am lost at what kind of camera would be best to buy. I was thinking about the Canon Rebel XS, but not sure if the other models would be better. I only have experience with point and shoot and the Sony Cybershot DSC-S85. Any advise would be great.
Thank you
asked by Rebecca Grauman on August 31, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
The Canon Rebel XS is fine for learning photography. If you're more serious about your photography, however, I might recommend a model with more features and a little better performance like the Rebel T1i or T2i or maybe even a semi-pro 50D or perhaps the new 60D. But also leave some funds available for more lenses, an external flash, a spare battery and a case. If you only plan on taking the one course and then just using the camera for casual photography afterwards, the XS will do the job.
Technology Guy answered on September 3, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That's cool.

Well, HD video is even showing up in professional models these days so its hard to avoid anymore. Even if you don't need HD video, there's no real reason to avoid cameras that have it. Compared to previous models, HD hasn't added much to the overall price.

The XS is the stripped down entry-level budget model. I'm not too fond of its old focusing system. The XS also has a much lower resolution LCD making it harder to check your shots, lacks the higher ISO sensitivities useful in lower light and has no spot meter which is helpful for getting the proper exposure in high contrast situations. It also uses 12 bit RAW files in stead of 14 bit meaning you can pull a little more of the image out of RAW files from higher level Canons.

Instead of the XS, you may want to pick up a camera you can either use professionally or one that can function as a useful backup camera. The discontinued Xsi offers many of the features lacking in the Xsi and doesn't include HD video. The discontinued 40D offers better performance and a much more professional level body. Online prices for the Xsi and 40D are highly inflated but refurbed models can still be found. The T1i and T2i are current models available new and offer more features and better performance than the XS. The T2i has same sensor as the Canon 7d and offers very high performance for a reasonably priced entry-level model (Amazon justs dropped the price of the T2i so its worth a look.)

Canon offers the refurbished Xsi and 40D here:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

Trade in any old non-working Canon camera and you can get a nice discount on a refurbished model under Canon's Loyalty Program.
Technology Guy answered on September 4, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm not just taking one class. My husband and I own a Videography business and I would like to add photography as one of our services. So I plan going back to school and try for the associate degree at my local community college. As much as I would love to get the 50D or 60D it just not in my budget right now. I was checking out the T1 originally but was bit turned off by the HD video feature. I do not need this feature at all and really don't want to pay for it. Is there much difference between the XS and T1? I am very new at SLR camera.
Thank you for your help.
Rebecca Grauman answered on September 4, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you for your help. I think I will skip over the XS and try a more current model. My classes do not start till January so I do have time to do more research on the newer models. Looking over the specs I really like the 50D model, but it's out of my price range. Maybe I will get lucky and a refurbished one will show up in my price range. If no,t I might go for the T1 or T2.

Thank you again for your help.
Rebecca Grauman answered on September 4, 2010

A
Sounds like a plan! Sure thing.
Technology Guy answered on September 4, 2010
‹ Previous   1   Next ›