Is this better than HD DVD version?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2008 9:30:36 AM PDT
Richard says:
Is the Animatrix in HD unlike the HDDVD? 90 bucks is big money spending, i would make sure is worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 9:39:20 AM PDT
Tony M says:
I'm sure it will be better than HD-DVD. It'll be in 1080p (but I'll only get to see it in 1080i), and I'm sure there'll be more features because of the large disc capacity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 9:44:13 AM PDT
The Animatrix has been confirmed by Warner Bros. to be in 1080p. That alone makes this set a solid upgrade. I was surprised how much I enjoyed The Animatrix.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 7:02:58 PM PDT
SS says:
I'm sure it will be the same transfer as the hd dvd version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2008 3:31:14 PM PDT
It will be identical to the HDDVD 'Ultimate Edition' except for including a 1080p Animatrix, and a 'digital copy' of the first Matrix movie. ('Enter the Matrix' scenes are still non-anamorphic NTSC)

If you already have the HDDVD, definitely pass on this (The Animatrix is probably my favourite of the Matrix movies, but there's no way in heck that I'm paying $90 just to upgrade one movie from SD to 1080p)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2008 9:58:47 AM PDT
mojo1633 says:
I completely agree. There's absolutely no way that I would pay $90 to double-dip on the Blu-ray version. As much as I'd like to own the Animatrix in 1080p (I wonder if it also has lossless sound?), it's not worth rebuying the entire, otherwise identical box set on a different format when I already own the HD DVD version. I can take or leave the digital copy of The Matrix. Anyone who would actually invest $90 to buy The Animatrix on Blu-ray is foolish. Now, if it is released as a stand-alone copy, that's a different story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 6:56:11 AM PDT
SS says:
At least DARK CITY is on blu-ray now. I put it right up there with the first MATRIX for a classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 10:15:22 PM PDT
Chris Chaos says:
I see all the HD-DVD loosers are still very bitter over their trouncing. Get over it. Blu-Ray is superior PERIOD! Yes it will look better than the HD-DVD version. HD-DVD's suck and that is why they went the way of the dinosaurs. I guess your HD-DVD Players will make for a nice expensive paperweight! lolololololol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 11:09:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2008 8:47:10 PM PDT
"Blu-Ray is superior PERIOD! Yes it will look better than the HD-DVD version."

It's the exact same transfer, Silly.
Technology-wise, both are about the same (HDDVD and Blu-Ray) but one can't help but feel superior to the stereotypical 'uninformed' blu-ray fan, which you so perfectly embody.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008 7:33:12 AM PDT
Blu-boys are the only thing i hate about blu-ray. These guys love to bash HD DVD, and probably the only reason they hate it is because the like the blu color of the box better.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008 9:16:45 AM PDT
I have a 1080i TV and believe me, it looks the same!!
the difference its so minor, only someone that knows about all this stuff will know.
Im geeting it, Im sure Ill love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2008 10:48:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2008 11:51:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 1:08:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2008 1:10:39 AM PDT
Michael Mac says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 4:24:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2008 4:29:51 AM PDT
Why do people post about thing they know nothing about....

1. For Picture Quality of the 3 movies they will be the same as the HDDVD... Warner is using the same Transfer
2. The Blu-Ray Versions will have Lossless audio (unlike the HDDVD)
3. The Blu-Ray Animatrix disc will be in 1080p (unlike the HDDVD)
4. The Blu-Ray versions will have over 35hrs of Extras (not sure if the HDDVD had that)

So as a whole the Blu version is better than the HDDVD version but if your only concerned with Picture Quality, they're the same (except for The Animatrix which is better)

Edit: also since it was mentioned... blu-ray IS the better medium because HDDVD was limited by capacity and YES there is a difference in quality when it comes to bitrates. <thats a period> there's no need to try and complain and cry about how you THINK it doesnt matter as HDDVD is gone for good. <thats another period>

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 4:57:57 PM PDT
Kami Amaya says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 10:12:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2008 10:15:59 PM PDT
SS says:
It depends on the quality of the equipment you're watching them on also. I watched SHOOTER tonight on Blu-ray on my new Sony 350 And it looked great. Then I watched The MATRIX again in HD DVD on my Toshiba XA2 and as always it looked great too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 10:50:43 AM PDT
2. The Blu-Ray Versions will have Lossless audio (unlike the HDDVD)

Um... The HDDVD Version had Dolby TrueHD. This is coming from me, a Blu Fanboi, too. Get your facts straight.

4. The Blu-Ray versions will have over 35hrs of Extras (not sure if the HDDVD had that)

Again, stop being an idiot and read reviews or info first. YOU WILL BE GETTING THE HD DVD Discs again, except optimized for Blu ray.

1080p of the same transfer will still be 1080p!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 10:30:29 AM PDT
You are right except on #2. The HD-DVD version did include lossless audio in the form of TrueHD tracks for all three movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 12:42:43 PM PDT
This is incorrect. The HD-DVD was also 1080p and had lossless sound!

The only difference I know of is that the Animatrix will be in HD in this set and it wasn't in the HD DVD set. I loved renaissance in Animatrix but I won't double dip this set for that upgrade...

-Evangelo2

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 1:50:25 AM PDT
SS says:
It's not nice calling people "idiot".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 5:16:31 PM PDT
You have no clue what you are talking about!! Quit speaking out of your a$%!! The Bluray version will be exactly the same, other than the Animatrix in 1080P. And lastly for educational purposes(clearly needed in your case), Dolby TrueHD IS lossless audio and is offered on all 3 HDDVD Matrix films.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 9:35:54 AM PDT
Man, some people are ignorant morons. No wonder HD DVD didn't have a chance; too many idiots not willing to educate themselves. Everything in this set will be EXACTLY the same except for 2 things:
Animatrix finally in 1080p
Digital Copy (couldn't care less about this)
Otherwise, you get the exact same 1080p transfer (HD DVD is 1080p morons!), TrueHD tracks (lossless, morons! And for DD+ on Transformers, that is an HD codec, not regular DD, specifically for the Michael Mac moron above), same exact extras, and same exact packaging!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 8:10:08 AM PDT
SS says:
Now we know your favorite word is "moron".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 10:21:15 AM PDT
P. White says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008 2:29:31 PM PDT
VAMPYRE XX says:
My Toshiba A-35 HD-DVD player upconverts standard DVD's better than my Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player.. so I won't be using it as a paperweight.. I enjoy both formats equally
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about