Why is this 'only' for use with CFL bulbs? (and not, for ex, LEDs or incandescents below 45 watts)?
asked by Brew on February 20, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
It's a power - draw heat issue. The socket can be used for anything that would normally screw into it. But being labeled CFL only they avoid the liability of someone burning down their business or home by over loading it. Most of these sockets are used by photographers and are covered or wrapped trapping even more heat.
Bill J. answered on February 20, 2013
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've used it with all types of bulbs. Its rated for a total of 300 watts--this is written on the side. PAR38 bulbs are too big for this, not enough room between the sockets to plug in more than two at a time. Otherwise it takes most anything with an E27 base.
aws answered on February 20, 2013
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I put them in may garage ceiling sockets with 7 watt (40 watt equivalent) LED bulbs. Works great. I get the equivalent of 160 watts, without the warm-up delay of CFLs.
Kevin D. answered on January 2, 2014
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The threaded area is made of plastic so temperature is their main concern. LED's should be fine.
jimbo answered on February 20, 2013
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I believe its a heat issue though be warned this are pretty cheaply built be very careful threading it in if not it will just spin in the socket.
Alex answered on February 20, 2013
Comment (1) | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Works fine with LED lights!
James J. Kovalcin answered on April 21, 2014
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I see no reason why a LED especially would not work in this device. Incandescent may get a bit hot, but it is built rather well and may hold up to them. It is made of a strong but semi flexible plastic (not the hard plastic found on many lamps or even the ceramic, that work with incandescent), and that may melt under the heat need from an incandescent. for short runs it would probably be fine but to be left on for hours you may have an issue.
Webwizardry answered on March 27, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I would assume that the issue is total load on the device (the internal wires are very small) and perhaps a heat concentration issue for incandescent bulbs. I would also think that LEDs would be OK.
P. Hunt answered on February 20, 2013
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have used it for over a year with 4 of the Cree 60 watt equiv daylight 5000K led bulbs with no problems. Very pleased with this socket adapter. I just got a 2nd one and 4 more cree led bulbs for the other socket in the garage.
anon answered on September 27, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have been using one of these with 4 11 W. ( 60 W Equivalent ) LED bulbs in my basement for about a year now. It is working very well with out any problems what so ever.
protector answered on December 13, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product