Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Darjeeling Limited forum

Why is this not coming out on the Criterion label?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2008 3:40:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2008 9:32:07 AM PST
Dustin Perry says:
Since "Rushmore," all of Wes Anderson's films have been released on Criterion (FYI: we want "Bottle Rocket" too!), each one of them given the care, attention to detail and unprecedented insight they deserve (not to mention loads of outstanding bonus features) by the top-notch DVD label.

Why, then, is "The Darjeeling Limited" not being given the same treatment? To my knowledge, Anderson is the only modern director to have an ongoing open invitation to have his films released on Criterion. I want cast and crew video diaries! Commentary for the "Hotel Chevalier" short! A documentary chronicling Owen Wilson's first attempt at cooking Indian food! A hand-drawn picture of the train's floor plans, including the dining car and the brothers' room!

Maybe a Criterion edition will be released sometime down the road. Here's hoping ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008 11:22:39 AM PST
B. Pavlacka says:
I'm gonna hold out for Criterion also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2008 7:48:52 AM PST
1) it's all a matter of dvd distribution rights. since 20th century fox distributed it through their subsidiary, fox searchlight limited, then it's going to be through 20th century fox. with very few exceptions, fox doesn't like to give up their dvd rights to anyone else. (jules dassin's films were distributed through fox but released on dvd through criterion for an example). and i'm not sure if there will be a criterion release of it down the road. not to say that it's not possible but i'm not holding out on it.

2) at least bottle rocket will come out on dvd sometime this year ... and it's through criterion too =D

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2008 4:08:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2008 4:10:21 PM PST
Jon A. says:
Starting with "Rushmore", all of Wes Anderson's previous films have been released on Touchstone. Touchstone is owned by Disney. Criterion is also owned by Disney. So Criterion did not have any problems getting rights for the DVD releases.

Interesting side note though..."Bottle Rocket" is going to now be released by Criterion. I read in a interview with Anderson that there will be a bunch of deleted scenes, the original short film, and a whole bunch of other stuff included in it. As "Bottle Rocket" was released by Columbia (now owned by Sony), there is good chance "The Darjeeling Limited" could be re-released by Criterion as well. I'm pretty sure Sony also has some connections with Fox/MGM.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2008 2:03:51 PM PST
Dustin Perry says:
"Bottle Rocket" on Criterion! Right on!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 11:34:13 AM PST
correction. criterion is not owned by anybody. the criterion collection is a privately-owned and run company, independent from any of the major studios, including buena vista/disney. at the time, buena vista and criterion had a good working relationship on top of wes anderson's enthusiasm for criterion (their laserdiscs were his main film school). this also explains why criterion was able to put out a special edition of both armaggedon and the rock.

but like i said before, some years are better than others in terms of the relationships criterion has with the major studios. there was one year when they released some films from new line cinema: hoop dreams, my own private idaho and short cuts. late this past year, they released if...., which was distributed in the united states through paramount. and as i've said before, criterion did put out a couple of films from 20th century fox, which were two jules dassin films: night and the city and thieves' highway. (there might have been something else but i'm not sure). but it all depends on the year, the temperment and what film the major studios are willing to give to criterion (if attached to a major studio).

and this is just the united states. don't get me started on the other film companies outside u.s. =D

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 9:42:30 PM PST
Jon A. says:
Thanks for the correction. I guess I was going off message board discussions in the past. By the way, are you an employee of Criterion? If so, kudos on working for an awesome company. Otherwise, you're knowledge about studios and distribution rights are pretty impressive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2008 7:40:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2008 7:43:02 AM PST
A. Howell says:
I just looked on the Criterion Collection website at the 'Coming Soon' films, and there is no mention of Darjeeling yet and the list goes through April. Slightly discouraging as I want to get this film when it is released, but it's a shame that there's no Criterion release of it in sight as of yet. However, you can e-mail Criterion at suggestions@criterion.com to suggest a film to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 4:51:41 AM PST
mixed-berry says:
Ive read on another board that there could possibly be a simultaneous release of Bottle Rocket and Darjeeling. A Wes Anderson extravaganza of sorts. It would be nice if it was true. But without even a tentative release date all we can do is hope for the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 8:25:27 PM PST
D. DELF says:
I picked up Darjeeling Limited on DVD today from Best Buy, and not only is it not on Criterion, but the packaging is embarrassing compared to the other Wes Anderson DVDs. The cover photo is not the greatest print, the case itself doesn't feel high quality, and there is no insert or anything at all on the inside. It is just the cover, and a DVD inside. The only special features are a making of type thing (most of which you can already watch on youtube and the Darjeeling site) and upcoming releases from fox. I really hope this comes out on Criterion eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 9:41:10 PM PST
W. Pyle says:
It sounds like this is just the bare bones dvd and later on Criterion will release the one we're all waiting for.

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 9:35:36 AM PST
B. Matlock says:
Was this forum moved to this product? I ask only because it say's criterion collection in the title of the product and on the picture cover. It is also the exact same cover as listed on the criterion website

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:15:49 PM PDT
John Graham says:
Most of the time Amazon, for some strange reason, combines reviews and I'm sure the original poster was talking about the DVD set not the Blu-ray.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Darjeeling Limited forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2008
Latest post:  May 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions