Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Isn't this just a collection of past work?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2012 3:17:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 3:18:09 PM PDT
J. WOFFORD says:
I already own most of Chris Ware's prior work, including the last few Acme Novelty Library issues. As I look at the pictures of Build Stories, I'm seeing mostly (completely?) familiar images.

Is this just a repackaged collection of previously published work, or is some of it new? If so, how much? And if so, why is everyone raving about it as this great new revolution in publishing-when it's not even new?

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 11:24:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 11:37:46 PM PDT
I. Hensman says:
A lot (nearly all?) of the material in Building Stories has appeared elsewhere (New Yorker, New York Times, McSweeney's, Kramers Ergot, Acme Novelty Library), but my guess is you'd be unlikely to have more than two thirds of it. Acme Novelty Library 18 constitutes probably about a quarter of the material here. I'm a huge fan of Ware's work, and track it down wherever I can, but even then at least half of the stuff in this box is new to me. A lot of the 'old' material has been printed in a slightly different form too (e.g. at a larger size, as a separate booklet etc). I reckon it's totally worth it - at $30 it's a bargain. There's bound to be stuff in here you haven't seen before, and the way Ware has packaged it all together is pretty incredible.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:46:58 AM PST
D. Bordelon says:
I believe the point here is in the packaging, in the various formats with which Ware presents the work. This is truly a case where the packaging matters.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Oct 23, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Building Stories (Pantheon Graphic Novels)
Building Stories (Pantheon Graphic Novels) by Chris Ware (Hardcover - October 2, 2012)
4.4 out of 5 stars (160)