Customer Discussions > OUYA Console forum

Why this might be appealing to people vs. $150 Xbox 3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2013 1:12:16 PM PST
Grady Miller says:
I can definitely see the argument supporting an Xbox 360 over this. The 360 is, by the Ouya designer's own admission, a more powerful machine and there is already a huge library of games and services available to it. It's a no brainer that if you are a gamer that ventures outside of the PC, you already have a 360 or a PS3.

The Xbox 360 is also an entirely closed system. Without breaking the EULA and risking getting your system banned, there's nothing you can do on a 360 other than download Microsoft sanctioned software, use Microsoft sanctioned apps, and pay a Microsoft required fee to use most of their online services, including multiplayer.

The Ouya is a completely open system, nothing is locked down except your time and knowledge to do what you'd like to do. Seems like a small thing, but the Raspberry Pi has been consistently selling out at $35-$40 with nothing but a breadboard in a plastic baggy. So for $60 more, you get a full operating system, a nice, small device in a case that comes with a fully wireless console level controller.

It's not for everyone, and it may not be for enough people to warrant its existence. Maybe 99% of the people that wanted one bought one through the Kickstarter, who knows. On the plus side, it seems to be a product that will actually see the light of day, and at $100 shipped, it's kind of a impulse buy IMO.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 1:16:18 PM PST
Ace Crusher says:
It's ALREADY seen the light of day as you can see on youtube in tons of videos of the developers game jam.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 1:22:18 PM PST
Grady Miller says:
Yeah, I was just speaking in terms of the general population getting them.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 3:32:52 PM PST
Will the XBMC be clean like the PS3 currently or have XBOX-ESQUE FRACKING ADVERTISEMENTS on the Main Screen and ALL the categories of the main screen?

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 9:35:12 AM PST
M. Balance says:
I have a prediction that Ouya will be wildly sold & appreciated by the casual gaming community.

If the android market is any representation of the prices we'll see with Ouya then it'll mainly consist of small price games sold to large amounts of customers. The system is cheap and if the games are cheap then it really can't be compared to Xbox 360.

I'm way past the phase in life where paying $60 for a game is fun to me unless it's a major multiplayer title I know will be worth the cash. Simply put there's so much put out into the world today in the form of entertainment and the prices are a lot greater than one would expect to pay. $60 for a 10 hour game just isn't as viable as getting 5-10 hours out of a $2-3 android game. Sure the graphics are better but if we really wanted to talk about graphics then the optimum medium would be computer gaming.

Ouya is likely to make their money off of rapid sales- nickles and dimes.
Xbox 360 is popular mainly for it's multiplayer titles and live network.
Nintendo is good for it's gimmicks and wide reach through characters and price.
Pc gaming is the best of price when it comes to games and best when it comes to graphics while sacrificing on the end of more complexity and a dwindling multiplayer population in favor of consoles.

Gg

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 6:57:23 AM PST
R. Hessler says:
The problem with comparison to Xbox 360 is that the OUYA costs more than a $150 Xbox 360, because you'll need to add-on a hard drive for storage if you want to play large games, if they start developing them for the OUYA. The price for a second controller is expensive as well.

To me, the OUYA is a Roku that plays games and that its major supporters will be the non-gamers. It is small and simple and plays games that won't be too complex. It may grow from there, but the OUYA is aiming at the Angry Birds crowd.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 7:49:13 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
@R. Hessler.
Not sure where you get that the Ouya could ever be more than the 360.
"Add hard drive for storage" - Well there are 2 cheap versions of the 360. One comes with less storage than the Ouya and you have to pay the high price for the proprietary hard drive that Microsoft sells.
"The price for a second controller is expensive" - Same price as a second controller on the xbox.

And if you're talking about the $100 Xbox... well that one costs you another $360 just to own it since you pay 15/month for 2 years for Live.

Xbox... no matter how you look at it... is NOT less than Ouya... not by a long shot.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 8:26:53 PM PST
Why are you comparing it to the 360 anyway when the next gen consoles are most likely only 9 months or so away from launching?
Aside from that, the part that bugs me about Ouya is the fact that by the way it's being described, I have a feeling it's nothing more than a more powerful big screen version of the current trends in mobile gaming which is riddled with over priced pay to play games that require you to pay a ridiculous amount of money to buy in game currencies that while not required to play the game, are set up in a way that forces you to do so if you ever hope to enjoy the games best content. I'm not saying all games will be like that, but it sounds like this is the direction the Ouya is headed.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 10:58:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013 10:59:41 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Comparing the OUYA to the 360 is like comparing a budget-level Dell computer to a top-of-the-line gaming PC. At the base level, they do the same thing, but different audiences have different performance demands. Plus, the cost of entry into the console video game world as it stands is pretty steep, both as a player and as a developer. I see this as a neat way to bring in more new gamers who aren't ready to splash $200-300 off the bat for a console and a few $30-$60 games and for small developers who can't crack the closed console market all that well.

Will I expect to play the next big-budget release on this thing? Not really. But I'm intrigued enough to see how this shakes up the gaming community.

*edited to clarify

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:04:15 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
@Brett
You will definitely get those "pay to win" type games I'm sure. But that's not all of what it will be.
To start it will likely be nothing but Mobile games getting ported over and getting controller support.
But The list of confirmed games is growing and there are some good names on there as far as developers.

@Jonathan
Pretty much exactly where I am on this thing.
It's an interesting concept and the thought that you can easily root it and make it your own is also a huge plus and the main reason I kickstarted it.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 5:56:23 AM PST
I think a device like this would have been more epic about 5-7 years ago when hacking and linux were gaining popularity and people were trying to tether blackberry phones to laptops using torrented corporate wireless carrier software. Before you scoff (if you were going to do so), think about ACTUAL 5 years. That 25 YO male with time to kill is now 30 and is married with kids. Yeah, that's me...and most of my friends. My younger friends in college that game are generally dedicated gamers and play the 360 or PS3 and would probably never touch a Wii.

Since as a standalone device it will never rake in the millions, I think I know EXACTLY what this device is. The OUYA is a shareholder investment invention and at that, I think it is a pretty clever idea. It is designed to fill a niche market of tech savy entertainment consumers (and of course many college projects). As it expands and grows to a profitable state, it'll be sold to a company like "Roku" or "Boxee". That is the exact moment all the shareholders will make their $$$ and that is why the device is being made.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 1:59:03 PM PST
I already use the RapberryPi to run XBMC, so I would definitely consider getting this since it supports XBMC and plays games. I think the new xbox will cost over 150 btw.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 5:40:04 PM PST
Brian Foster says:
I just want to use Ouya as a media center/internet machine and run my android games on it.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:24:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 12:26:31 PM PST
Ms. T says:
I'm surprised anyone would compare it to an XBox - to me, it seems like it's main competition would be the overpriced/underpowered Nintendo Wii. I could easily see casual Wii gamers picking this up when their aging wii consoles break, as I have heard that the new Wii U is not so hot. When my daughter's original Wii finally gives up the ghost, I will more than likely get her one of these. My son, however, who is entrenched in the XBox culture and Xbox Live, I can't necessarily see him switching to this - but I could see him having this and an XBox going forward.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 8:25:14 AM PST
MC says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 6:42:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 6:45:08 PM PST
BooBoo says:
I'd buy it, if it's solid enough, as a living room solution to XBMC, maybe some emulation

For it's primary games... No thank you. In what universe is a sandboxed Android marketplace appealing? It's literally the worst active platform for games.

I don't think price is coming into it, 99 is chump change, and the new Xbox will probably be 350-400, I'd imagine, same with the PS4, etc, because those are dedicated enthusiast machines and not low end cellphone parts cobbled together in a little box by hobbyists.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 10:39:35 PM PST
Ku Doufu says:
The other day my son was playing Asphalt 7 on his Nabi 2 tablet when I hooked it up to the TV via HDMI. He was thrilled to see his favorite race cars to be life sized. However the HDMI cable made it so cumbersome to maneuver the car with his tablet that he almost broke the HDMI port. I sighed and looked up the notion of 'wireless HDMI' with no apparent solution.

Now that I see this console, I believe this is what we need. Granted it is just another Android, but the idea is that he can play the same game on big screen at home and on tablet on the road. And if this console can share game progress data with other device, it will be a great alternative for the 'wireless HDMI' idea, at least for the Android denizens.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:43:29 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
@BooBoo
Worse than Windows Mobile and Blackberry?
;)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 4:58:43 AM PST
MAUL xx says:
I really want one to play Shadowrun Returns & Shadowrun Online.
That said, what is XBMC?
Will it have a better web browser than the 360 & PS3?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:07:13 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
XBMC is Xbox Media Center. It was created when everyone was hacking their original XBoxes and using them as media centers and for emulators.

You can side load Chrome on it I'm sure.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:41:47 AM PST
Bluefuse says:
Ummm, did you guys compare the hardware of the OUYA and current consoles? The OUYA should be able to handle this generation's console games, but that's not what it has been marketed for. They are taking a different approach so that they have a chance at grabbing a new type of audience.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 9:26:55 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
The Ouya is not capable of PS3/360 level visuals. The Tegra 3 is not as powerful as the CPU/GPU compilations in the consoles.
It is, however, better than the previous gen of consoles (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Wii).

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 7:01:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013 7:24:15 AM PDT
E. Benfield says:
Do you really think yours is the last generation that would tinker on computers and mobile devices? Mine wasn't either, and I started tinkering 30 years ago. It's an open device, which makes it VERY attractive to people who would like to transition from business system dev to console game dev (like me). Expect to see content from the younger generations taking their first steps into game design, as well as from veterans. Expect to see games that can be controlled or co-played over other Android devices using local wi-fi or even remotely, including connecting to other Ouya consoles. Expect to see new strategies for delivering and sharing content, as well as content you might not normally expect to see on a console.
In short, even if the Ouya itself doesn't survive, you can expect this to change console gaming completely.

"In what universe is a sandboxed Android marketplace appealing? It's literally the worst active platform for games."
In what universe was console gaming better than the arcade gaming of the 70s and 80s? In what universe was arcade gaming better than board games before that? Oh, that's right, this one. Times are changing, grandpa. Take your meds.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 9:06:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 17, 2013 10:09:35 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  OUYA Console forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2013
Latest post:  May 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
OUYA Console
OUYA Console by Ouya (Ouya)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (696)