Customer Discussions > 2012 [Theatrical Release] forum

this movie will soon be irrelevant

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2010 4:43:09 PM PST
This movie will be completely irrelevant on January 1, 2013. Remember 1984? The same rules apply. The 2012 conspiracy is just another farce for people to make money. Maybe I should start one, so I can get rich quick.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 10:17:47 PM PST
lunasera says:
No more then Terminator 2 or Demolition Man. It will still be an entertaining movie, but in a few years we'll all chuckle when we see the date on screen.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 11:10:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2010 11:15:19 PM PST
John Doe says:
correction its already irrelevant. The Mayans? Really?? Did they even worship the Lord God Almighty (God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob)? Pardon me if I'm not scared.
Its a doomsday movie like "day after tomorrow", the director just gets off on destroying the planet.

But you're right 1984, Y2K, now 12/21/2012...ha ha, what's next world?

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 10:21:33 AM PST
Peter Stumpf says:
So if someone doesn't "worship the Lord God Almighty", they're not worth taking seriously? Way to keep an open mind there. Luckily, as I'm an agnostic, you can completely disregard my opinion as well.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 2:06:13 PM PST
S. Contrera says:
Add one more forgotten movie to the list...

End of Days

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 3:39:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 3, 2010 4:21:19 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 4, 2010 11:27:17 AM PST
Very good point Dennis. Why wouldn't the Pre-Classic period, Pre-Bible dated Maya civilization worship the Lord God Almighty of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob 2000 years later?

One couldn't help but wonder maybe because they existed before the Bible?

Posted on Mar 4, 2010 11:38:41 PM PST
PlanetHell says:
2012 was irrelevant the day the trailer was released. It is nothing but a super-stupid version of The Day After Tomorrow, which despite being centered on teenagers, had very suspensful moments and a whole "survival" feeling. There were no super-stupid stunts, it wasn't boring, and there was no 3 hour part after the destruction to talk about nothing.
Roland Emmerich should be on the "totally dropped the ball and/or bomb" list in the movie thread...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 1:40:25 AM PST
yea if you live that long ...ha ha ha

Posted on Mar 6, 2010 1:42:41 AM PST
dont be too naive in your replies something could happen , you just have to be ready!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2010 11:16:02 PM PST
M. R. Becker says:
What's wrong with just enjoying a movie? Irrelevant or not, it is entertaining.

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 10:11:27 AM PST
Peeping Tom says:
There's TONS of 'doomsday' movies. Or even just movies on a timetable. What about 2010: The year we make contact? Who cares if it becomes "Irrelevant", just pass the popcorn.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2010 10:22:41 AM PST
Peeping Tom says:
ONLY Documentaries are made with the thought of not making any money. Welcome to the world.

Oh, and wouldn't it be "completely irrelevant" on December 13th, 2012? Not January 1st, 2013? And its not a "conspiracy", it is a Mayan Prophecy, which is different. Very much like the many prophecies by Nostradamus. And not all of those came true.

Did you even watch the movie? Or are you just upset, and are trying to drag other people into your rant? Its a movie, a HYPED up version of hearsay. If you don't like it then stop going to movies altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2010 8:34:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2010 8:43:33 PM PST
Vince says:
Dennis D,
You do realize that YHWH had to convince Moses that he was the same God as that of Abraham,Isaac and Jacob. Cause Abraham and Jacob worshiped Elohim...or El of the mountains...one of the pagan gods of Canaan. Abraham even had a visit from 'God' and served Him food ...along with two accompanying angels. But then God changed his name to YHWH and decided that he was too awesome for Moses to look upon. He then convinced Moses that He was in fact the only God and a jealous one at that. Then, after he told Moses 'Thou shalt not murder' , Moses went and murdered all the Midianites. And then Joshua murdered as many Canaanites as he could. And then Jesus came along and preached a form of Buddhism...but claimed that he was sent from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just so the Jews would listen to him. But the Jews knew better.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2010 4:34:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2010 4:49:34 AM PST
Even if the prophecy were true how did people figure out the date. Our calendar, the one we use today, was made up many , many centuries ago and has been tinkered with over those centuries. Have people taken into account all the changes made to the calendar to arrive at what we use today. Some people even question if our calendar is actually accurate. Who knows.

I may check out wikipedia to see who invented the calendar, when changes were made, etc... If the info is even available, is it correct as well.

James

Edit: Found this in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar

Just read that article to see how confusing it is. And that is based on supposedly acurate information. It may or may not be. So coming up with an acurate date, IMO, is a guess at best. That's of course if you believe in prophecy to start with.

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 6:50:37 AM PST
R. Zhang says:
@ newton:
the old testament was a foreshadow for all the things to come. Sacrificing animals (for example) and their blood, was pointing at jesus, who sacrificed his blood later for all mankind. After fullfilling the first prophecy jhwh ever made (Genesis 3:15), sacrificing, killing and other things done by the isralites was not necessary anymore. Also dont forget that the rules said "You shall not kill" but the same law also ordered the israelites to kill people who worshipped other gods or seduced other israelites to do so. The law given by JHWH in the old testament had far more rules then just the ten famous onces. Alot of rules given where made to fit the people and time. Not god has changed, gods people did. We should now sacrifice our time and love to serve good and come close to him. We should believe in the sacrifice of jesus to earn ifinite live. No scarifices necessary anymore, and no killing also. All killing and judgment will be done by JHWH. (excuse my english, it´s not my mother language)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2010 11:25:04 AM PST
"Sir Isaac Newton", please don't make me laugh. "And then Jesus came along and preached a form of Buddhism...", if you think Jesus preached anything close to Buddhism, you don't know much about religions. And all that stuff about Moses, Joshua, and everyone else murdering everyone in the OT, you are probably just mad at God for some reason.

Switching topics, this movie wasn't even all that entertaining. I thought the movie was overdrawn, boring, nothing we haven't seen before, with a bland plot and poor character development. And Mr. "If you don't like it then stop going to movies altogether", why don't you actually go see a movie that's decent. Examples: Avatar, The Blind Side, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2010 11:48:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2010 12:06:52 PM PST
Peeping Tom says:
Are you assuming I haven't seen any other movies? You're getting off topic, because to assume that you would have to be seriously ignorant. But to satisfy your rant, I've seen almost all major movies released in north America this year. How can you know which movies are good, and which movies are bad if you don't see them? But that was NOT the original topic of this thread.

You said that "This movie will be completely irrelevant on January 1, 2013" Which I point out is wrong, because the Mayan date in question would make the movie a false prophecy on the 13th of December, 2012. More importantly you said "The 2012 conspiracy is just another farce for people to make money." Which means to me you have no clue what you're talking about at all.

As quoted from Wikiedia:
"The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on December 21 or December 23, 2012, which is said to be the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar. Various astronomical alignments and numerological formulae related to this date have been proposed, but none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship.
A New Age interpretation of this transition posits that during this time, Earth and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era. Others suggest that the 2012 date marks the end of the world or a similar catastrophe. Scenarios posited for the end of the world include the Earth's collision with a passing planet (often referred to as "Nibiru") or black hole, or the arrival of the next solar maximum."

So again, its NOT a conspiracy. Just as much as Y2K was thought of as "the end" by many. It's just something, that like all Americans (like you), blew out of proportion to their own benefit. So, at this point, please stop talking, because I'm finished responding. You're a moron. Read about something before you jump to conclusions.

Edit: BTW, "if you think Jesus preached anything close to Buddhism, you don't know much about religions"? I think you're the one that doesn't know about religion. Do you know that any gospel thought to be directly from Jesus, or close to what he originally preached, has been dicounted by the Vaticant? Modern Catholicism is a man made religion. Not from God or his son. The bible wasn't written until roughly 300 years AFTER the death of Jesus. Long after anyone who could possibly have known him was dead. Jesus preached compassion, peace, and understanding. Many of the same points Jesus preached were in place by most religions first, including Buddhism.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2010 12:32:38 PM PST
Gee, and you say I'M the one who is going on a rant? Sounds like you might need to breathe into a paper bag buddy. Or else you might just huff and puff and blow my house down!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2010 7:25:09 AM PST
SAJ says:
The Mayans didn't make a prophecy, they made a calendar! The only reason it stops on what is to us 12/21/12 is because the next day the calendar starts all over again, no different than when midnight, January 1st hits and a new year repeats all over again. The Mayan calendar is simply on a much grander, more complete scale and no reason to believe in impending global disaster. It's a flimsy premise for a disaster film, but that's how most such films are - just an excuse to wow people by blowing things up, if you're into that sort of thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2010 7:40:31 AM PST
Peeping Tom says:
Agreed they made a long count calandar, but it was believed that at the end of this period of time, before the calandar began anew, that there would be a great change. Many believed it would be a shift of global consciousness. But as time went on, and americans became more cynical, people began to think it meant the "end". This is something that started thousands of years ago. Does that not make it a prophecy?

But I agree, Hollywood use any excuse to make a movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2010 5:55:48 PM PDT
DougFL says:
Are you aware that your "Lord God Almighty" (God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) was ripped off the much older Sumerian myths just as pretty much your entire Bible was?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 10:28:19 AM PDT
QQ - why would it be a false prophesy on December 13, 2012 when the alleged event isn't supposed to take place until December 21st?

Also, regarding the Gospels, the College of Cardinals met at the Council of Trent to discuss the various "books" of the Bible (Always capitalized) and determine which Gospels to include and exclude from the Bible based on content and verification. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were believed to have been written by each of these apostles following the ascension of Jesus Christ into heaven. Other books in the New Testament include letters between apostles and other groups. Further, the only Gospels to be "discounted by the Vatican" (no "t" at the end) are the Gnostic Gospels which are books of the Bible that have not be verified as written by actual apostles.
You are accurate regarding a 300 year period, but that was only when all of the books were brought together to form what we now call the Bible.
Finally, the Roman Catholic Church as well as all other denominations and practices of religion are "man-made" and as such, are far from perfect. They are simply groups of people trying to understand the deeper spiritual questions and to live Godly and righteous lives through faith. Therefore, we, as Christians, may never have met Jesus face-to-face but we have faith and belief that he is real and that our salvation is through his sacrifice on Good Friday. He began the Christian belief and the practicing of the Last Supper and in essence He created Christianity. We have just chosen to practice it in different forms whether it be heavy ritual like the RCC and Church of England or prayer and praise and listening like the Baptists and Non-Denominational churches. My point is, you cannot blanket an answer without understand the full picture.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 10:03:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2010 10:05:40 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010 10:12:07 PM PDT
Dan Avera says:
Gotta love you religious people. "Oh, crap! That guy just one-upped the @$%! out of me! I'm too dumb to think of an intelligent response, so I'll just try to insult him instead! Duhurrrrrrrrrr!!!1"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions