VPN on this router? I'm considering grabbing one of this routers but for me VPN is critical! Any considerations or experiences?
asked by Henry on November 28, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
Hi Henry,

This router does support VPN. You will need to enable passthrough options located in the router's page. If you have the latest firmware, you may change VPN settings under WAN and Nat passthrough. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

ASUS Customer Support
812-282-2787
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
ASUS Support answered on December 2, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That's when you need to go to Cisco hardware like a Cisco 861W. I sell Asus and I sell Cisco, 3Com (now HP Networking). I just sold 3 of these (RT-N56U) units to customers. Great for home. But if you are doing secure VPN look at a piece of equipment designed from the start for it. The overhead of AES/DES Encryption can easily be handled without impacting the performance of the other users on your network.

Dan
Daniel Beltz answered on January 11, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I can confirm that this works as I use VPN..There were workarounds that other people had posted but with the latest firmware there is an option in the settings screen. Works like a charm now
Michael Bastuk answered on December 26, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I understand that this router is capable of VPN passthrough now, however, I want a router that can support VPN creation. I need to create a VPN in our new office environment, and I'm looking for a router that can support VPN creation, not just passthrough. Will this router do that?
Carl Spencer Morse answered on January 4, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi,

Does enabling passthrough options comprise or weaken the security in any way? In other words, what is the downside of enabling passthrough options?
jen answered on July 2, 2012

A
The router supports VPN passthrough (which does not weaken security in any way). But this router does not include VPN server capability - you cannot log into this router's network from outside via VPN. If you want a router with VPN server capability, you need the ASUS RT-N55U or other similar router.
J. Seder answered on December 25, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›