Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 2700 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2012 4:51:06 AM PDT
"How little, he wondered, could he pay freelance reviewers and still satisfy the authors? He figured on $15. He advertised on Craigslist and received 75 responses within 24 hours.

Potential reviewers were told that if they felt they could not give a book a five-star review, they should say so and would still be paid half their fee, Mr. Rutherford said. As you might guess, this hardly ever happened. "

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-book-reviews-money-buy-131408538.html;_ylt=AlohECBQGUkvMuWw2uB9qxuauodG;_ylu=X3oDMTFqaGFmbHBnBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEJvZHkEcG9zAzUEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0aWNsZUJvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTJucmE1aTNsBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDMzZlYTM5OGItNTE2YS0zOTY2LTg0ZTYtZjc0ODVkNmM5NmUwBHBzdGNhdANuZXdzBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3?page=3

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 4:55:51 AM PDT
Another quote from the above article: "For a 50-word review, she said she could find "enough information on the Internet so that I didn't need to read anything, really." For a 300-word review, she said, "I spent about 15 minutes reading the book." She wrote three of each every week as well as press releases. In a few months, she earned $12,500."

I think Amazon needs to look into all these 5 star reviews with no content, just babble like the attorney himself is known for. The sales numbers do not support the phoney 5 star reviews on this page. If you look at the 1 star reviews, specific quotes and inaccuracies are sighted in most of the reviews.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 5:06:34 AM PDT
I think we should all write to the author of this article - perhaps he would like to dig into this and I am sure he can find helpers here to expose this!

New York TimesBy DAVID STREITFELD | New York Times

Great article, btw - and yes, I read it!

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 9:46:06 AM PDT
Judit says:
LOL. My brother wrote a book. The book is written in an other language and he wanted me to translate it and publish it in the USA. I refused, because I don't think that the book is good, (of course I didn't tell him that) and it is not selling in it's own country, he actually had to pay all the fees (printers, ect) to get several hundreds of copies out. If we employed a reviewer we could make his book a bestseller.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 3:25:07 PM PDT
Again...I knew he was paying these people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 4:03:38 PM PDT
Lisalei - I think the gig is up! Each new 5 star should get the link for first comment!

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:23:05 PM PDT
skbsoccermom says:
I just read the article, and it sounds exactly like something baez would do. Trickery, lies and deceit are his specialty. We have all noticed that when his sales plummit, a new batch of 5 star reviews appear, and they all sound very similar. Notice Jeff Ashton didn't have to pay people for fake reviews. Just goes to show the difference between a true professional, and an underhanded wanna-be.
What do you think is the best way to contact the author of the article? I see his name on the article, but I didn't see contact info.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:07:57 PM PDT
Contact info: http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_streitfeld/index.html

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 4:44:13 AM PDT
Heather Hays says:
The reviews aren't doing anything but keeping his rank barely floating above two stars. His book has already tanked. The reviews that go up now have only one purpose, and that's to be really annoying. If he is paying for them, more power to him because he's just throwing more money into this financial black hole. All he's doing at this point is nurturing a pathetic illusion.

I would pity him if I thought he had a soul.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 7:13:53 AM PDT
ANJ thanks for this info

miss you over at WS
Gto5

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 8:27:21 AM PDT
John says:
Is this the article you're referring to? It's probably what Bozo definitely did.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-book-reviews-money-buy-131408538.html

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:43:49 AM PDT
Yes, John - my link is just way longer! LOL

G 2 5 - miss you guys too, but as long as treatment is not consistent and people can alert on folks they have a disagreement with and cause havoc, I will just stay awol.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:58:02 AM PDT
David Molloy says:
This is a delusional thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 9:04:49 AM PDT
I understand :-) I thought my "vacation" for name calling was a bit ridiculous, seriously "mumbles" LOL But I was glad to be back. I am glad you're here though to let everyone know the whole truth,
not "half-truths"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 9:09:03 AM PDT
Yeah, my offense was "IT"

David - move along back to your walk-in closet!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 9:12:55 AM PDT
David Molloy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 9:45:34 AM PDT
Samadian says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 9:58:14 AM PDT
John says:
Every comment from a Casey supporter trips over the evidence and renders them unable to remember the victim's name-Caylee. To ignore the truth about her death is to admit they have been duped.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 9:59:10 AM PDT
David Molloy says:

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 10:13:27 AM PDT
Funny how almost every verified purchase from a 5* is a Kindle purchase! Think about it - you will get it David and Sam.

Scam and fraud - just like the felon and her parents. Sick.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 10:16:08 AM PDT
Those hand puppets are back! Well at least the DM hand puppet posts have some humor to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:22:55 AM PDT
Samadian says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:23:17 AM PDT
Samadian says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:26:27 AM PDT
I would never take the fun away from you by handing it to you on a silver platter. Then again, I might be over-estimating your abilities and if I am - I do so apologize!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:49:19 AM PDT
Samadian says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 108 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  2700
Initial post:  Aug 28, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Presumed Guilty: Casey Anthony: The Inside Story
Presumed Guilty: Casey Anthony: The Inside Story by Peter Golenbock (Hardcover - July 3, 2012)
3.0 out of 5 stars   (627)