To those who say "Lucas destroyed my childhood!"...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-32 of 32 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 19, 2012 10:18:18 AM PDT
Wow! Something I thought I'd never see again....Star Wars fans that are SANE! Just to let you know I wasn't introduced to Star Wars via the SE. I saw the ORIGINAL originals. I wasn't around in '77 (I was born in 85) so I saw them on HBO when I was 5. By the time I was 10 I knew those movies like the back of my hand. And so when the SE came out, I was thrilled. Me and a couple of my buddies went to go see it and we had a BLAST!!! When the Prequels came out I loved all of them. Yeah sure there were some problems but don't tell me the OT had those SAME problems. "Bad dialogue"? "I recognize your foul stench when I was brought on board"? The OT had some wacky over the top dialogue even the original actors thought the dialogue was terrible. "Who talks like this?!" says Mark Hamil. The prequels were not bad movies, they were good, to me just as good as the originals. YEAH...JUST AS GOOD! And despite the essays and thesis papers, and 2 hour youtube rants on why the prequels suck are not gonna convince me other wise and only further prove to me that these fanboy hate the prequels and SE ONLY because it doesn't look like it did in '77 '80 and '83. Do I think ALL of the changes are great or necessary? NO. Lucas should've left out the Jabba scene in ANH and left Vader silent in ROTJ. But even those scenes don't bother me. As much as I enjoyed SW as a kid, I still enjoy them now. .

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2013 6:38:51 PM PDT
Yea for real. I remember my mother, who saw them in theaters, showed the original versions to me when I was like 4 or 5. I was so stoked when I heard about the special editions and loved them when they came out. Only as I got older did I really understand the value and amazing cinematography that went into the original un-cg'd version. I don't like the special editions as much now, but they don't ruin my experience of it. I just have the dvd version that included the originals. I do, however think its just kinda ridiculous that there are 3 versions of the special edition now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2013 10:34:53 PM PDT
Beautifully said

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2013 10:44:53 PM PDT
Beautifully said

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 8:29:48 PM PDT
Slade Simon says:
I usually like to use the original Flash Gordon serial as an example. The sets, the costumes and props are a reflection of the time the movie was made. Imagine if someone decided to replace the spaceships with CGI. Let's throw in colorizing just to seriously annoy fans. It doesn't look right. You would have simplistic ray guns and very basic sets with overly detailed spaceships. Colorizing adds another headache. Remember the colorized Night of the Living Dead with green zombies?

For me, this is what the special editions are like. I grew up on the originals. I had two different LaserDisc sets of the trilogy. The CGI makes the background too busy and distracting. It turned into "See what I can do" as if he was showing off. In fact, I vaguely remember reading that the special editions were experiments to see what could be done before making the prequels.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 9:52:16 PM PST
retrobabe says:
"Things change, it is part of growing up." Those are your words verbatim. I say, "Excuse me?" It's part of "growing up"? I am already grown up thank you, and this whole thing about embracing the modern spin, look, whatever, on something like Star Wars is just a crock. Understand JMM, that I really don't care about the latest special edition or the newest reboot of the latest special edition of the latest special edition that George or Disney cranks out. What makes me angry is that George Lucas does not respect his original fans at all. I was a little kid watching the original versions, and it never bothered me that some of the creatures were made of rubber, or Luke's speeder had the orangey smudge underneath it when flying. Star Wars was a fantastic story, and a classic. But just because it didn't have the CG effects of today, doesn't mean it should be swept under the rug and treated like it's nothing. George Lucas would not have this franchise without the original versions AND the original fans. It's just disrespectful. I will cross my fingers and hope that someday someone will release the original versions on blue-ray. The special editions may seem fancier, but the original versions came first and they're pretty cool in their own way.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2014 1:04:00 AM PDT
I watched the original versions when they first came out and when they played on HBO in the 80's. I actually do prefer these special editions.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Wars Trilogy (Special Edition) [VHS]
Star Wars Trilogy (Special Edition) [VHS] by Mark Hamill (VHS Tape - 1997)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (4,307)