Customer Discussions > Pokemon White Version forum

For those adult RPG gamers who have wondered about Pokemon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2011 12:49:29 PM PST
M. Weekley says:
About a year ago, I started a thread asking the Pokemaniacs out there about the obsession that is Pokemon. I am an adult in my early 30's with a couple of kids and had a huge love for the old school RPG's like Earthbound and Final Fantasy. I always heard about Pokemon but held off since I also heard it was mainly for kids. I started the forum here on Amazon and heard from a variety of Pokemon fans giving me their spin on the franchise and where a newcomer should start. (if you're that interested, you can find the forum under the 'Pokemon SoulSilver w/ Limited Edition figurine'). After hearing some wonderful feedback, I decided to take the plunge into the Pokemon universe.

Still speaking as a rookie, I cannot impress upon people enough how wonderful of a franchise this is and how glad I am that I took the leap of faith from the Pokemon fans in trying this game. While there is more of a youthful appearance, the game is very in depth and rich with gameplay. I have found the hours I sank into SoulSilver feel like minutes and have been extremely impressed with how much quality is in this franchise. The game is leisurely enough where you can pick it up and play at a relaxed pace but strategic enough to make you think as you continue through your quest and seek out the hard to find Pokemon. I have found such enjoyment out of it and even have gotten my wife to jump in as well (she got the HeartGold version naturally). We're finding ourselves addicted to this franchise and are very happy we took the risk.

I wanted to share this with those adult gamers out there that cut their teeth on the old school Final Fantasies and Earthbound of the SNES era. It still is possible it may not be for you, but I definitely encourage you to give it a try if you enjoy those style RPG's. I know I've already preordered White and I wanted to share my experience with those of you that may have been in my shoes a year ago of always wondering about the franchise but not taking the plunge.

If any of you want to know about my experiences as a new Pokemon player, feel free to post. I'm still very new to the series and thought my perspective might be welcome for those who always wondered, but never took the plunge like I did up til last year.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 5:56:21 PM PST
Andrea M says:
I agree with this, I hear people saying all the time that Pokemon is for kids. I've been playing Pokemon since the Crystal version came out and when people ask me what am I playing and I tell them, they put this frown on their face and ask isn't Pokemon for kids, no it is not just for kids even I can say that some tasks are very difficult when playing this game. If you like RPG I can say Pokemon is a great game.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 5:50:53 AM PST
PKMN TRNR says:
I'm 19, been playing since Yellow Version.
Pokemon is as hard as you want it to be. You can just beat the game and quit, or continue and get the last few remaining legendaries that activate after the E4, try to catch shinies, EV train and breed Pokemon (usually for serious wi-fi battlers), or what I'm personally trying to do: catch 'em all.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 6:44:07 AM PST
M. Weekley says:
My only complaint with this series is some of the promotional store stuff that happens. I know one of the retailers is giving away a shiny legendary in 3 separate weeks this month. Apparently it's the only way you can catch Zorark in White/Black. While I do like having incentives, it stinks that if you miss just one of those weeks you are out of luck. It's one thing if they offered this off and on throughout the year but the one time only stuff kind of stinks.

That's a minor complaint in a splendid franchise. I'm still playing SoulSilver and cant begin to imagine how many hours I would lose if I tried to sink my money into Platinum and the older GBA games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 7:46:22 PM PST
From what I've read on websites you only need one of the three to get Zorark. At least I'm hoping so because I'm too busy to get the last dog >_>

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 8:57:04 PM PST
Parker says:
From what I've heard, they will be releasing a Celebi in Game Stop stores (USA) from February 21st to March 6th to any of the DS pokemon games. If you transfer it over to black & white you get Zorua, Zorark's pre-eveolve form by going to the Game Freak HQ in Castellia City.

Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2011 10:53:13 PM PST
Rumor has it that they will offer the three legendary dogs over Nintendo wifi. This is starting in Europe on Feb 7th and hopefully in the USA as well. This is alot more convenient then running to gamestop...

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 11:09:29 PM PST
moogle11 says:
I agree, Pokemon is the one RPG that crosses the boundary between kids & adults, plus it's fun, I hope the competitive side gets another crack once B&W come out with an updated console Colosseum release, c'ya online !

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 3:14:16 PM PST
Lux says:
Well put, my friend! Been playing Pokemon Red came out when I was a kid. Still play Red every now and again, but I've gotten every version since. I will, of course, be pre-ordering Black and White and cannot wait to play them. I'm 21, a Pokemon fan, and proud!

As for those wondering about the Celebi and Mystic Dogs events, if you invest in an Action Replay device for DS, there are several codes online to obtain them on your game and they will still trigger the events. I got a Celebi with the codes last year and already triggered the Giovanni event on Heart Gold with it. When transferred to Black and White, they will trigger all Zorua and Zorark events. So yeah, cool chiz.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 9:33:38 PM PST
S. Kinel says:
@CLD

Same for me, i've been playing since red came out and have gotten every single one as well. kinda weird because im even 21 too. but to get to my point, where did you get those codes? i got an action replay a while ago for my ds when it was on clearance, and i really haven't done much with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 5:32:49 PM PST
I'm also 21 and have been playing every version. Pokemon is for everyone as long as you can enjoy them. People would be surprised as to how with years of experience in Pokemon, trainers discover new techniques in which way to better their party of pokemon. Trainers develop tactics with what moves to teach their pokemon to enhance their teams performance. Pokemon is definitely not for just kids. I pre-ordered black and white since the day it was announced for pre-order. Gotta catch'em all

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 1:18:07 PM PST
Emina Evol says:
To the OP, you have read my mind.

I have recently gotten back into games, especially ds games. I hear from a few people here and there how much fun Pokemon is but... There are so many titles. Where do I start?

I am sort of familiar with Pokemon brand, I watched the show once upon a time ago when it first came out and even played the card game with my niece and nephew. But the games? I am completely lost. Anyone here in this thread want to give a few suggestions as to what title I should start with? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 5:11:48 PM PST
M. Weekley says:
Hi Emina Evol. Wow, I was in the SAME EXACT position you were this time last year. IF you find my post from the Pokemon SoulSilver with Limited Edition figurine, you'll see the tons of responses I got.

The general summary I got is that the older versions are the best and that the remakes of SoulSilver and HeartGold revisit one of the finest generation of Pokemon ever. I had some people recommend I start from the very beginning and while I thought it would be the most inclusive experience, I knew I didn't have the time or resources to pour into that. After talking to everyone, it seems they all agreed that the first couple of generations were the best which is why I dove into SoulSilver (HeartGold is it's sister equal). The other thing I heard is that while good, the Pearl, Diamond, and Platinum generation are good, but not as good as those originals.

With the premise of Pokemon ultimately being the same each generation, as a newcomer I will tell you that SoulSilver was/is AWESOME to start with. It seems to have the best of both worlds in terms of being welcoming to newcomers but advanced enough to really get into it. Storyline is basic, but the gameplay is where this game shines. It gets addictive (as well as exciting) to find rare, hard to get pokemon and to capture them. The game is highly strategic but not so much so where you would be overwhelmed as a new person. It's also a lot of fun to trade pokemon that you have captured.

It's obvious I can't make a determination on Black/White just yet, but if you're looking for classic pick up and play Pokemon is the way to go. You can save anywhere, battles aren't very long and it's fun just to chip away at the game over long periods of time. Can't even tell you how many of hours I've lost in the game as a newcomer but I am addicted. I won't go out and buy both versions of each generation (I would like to collect them all but I'm not going to play the same game twice and pay twice the money...sorry) but I will say it's a great lighthearted RPG that doesn't require a heavy investment but is there when you need it.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 5:55:00 PM PST
Janice Kelly says:
Hear, hear! I picked up a shiny new GB Color along with Pokemon Red as soon as the franchise hit the U.S., and I've been playing ever since. There's something in Pokemon for everyone, which really bridges the gap between "kid games" and "adult games." The game interface and controls are simple and solid, but the gameplay can as complicated and competitive as you want it to be. There is endless diversity in the pokemon themselves, which adds a robust dimension to the franchise that I've found nowhere else (well, maybe Little Big Planet con compete with the robustness ^^).

To Emina Evol: I think I might be in the minority, but I think Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Gen IV) is even better than Gold/Silver/Crystal (Gen II). In my opinion, it includes everything Gen II had to offer and thensome (sans being able to walk with your pokemon - that's a pretty cute edition). I love the layout of Sinnoh - nothing is a pain in the drain to get to, there are great grinding areas, and the daily/weekly events are diversified enough to not get old and repetitive. I feel these aspects are lacking from Gen II's Johto region. I also liked the music and character design in Gen IV better than Gen II.

Regardless, I have yet to be disappointed with a Pokemon game from the main franchise - I highly recommend either of the two DS generations, and I have no doubt The Pokemon Company will deliver yet again with Black/White

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 6:09:17 PM PST
M. Weekley says:
Agreed with Janice. I actually have been thinking a lot about buying Platinum as I hear of the 3 that one is the best...but with Black and White coming out I think I'll hold off :)

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 7:29:30 AM PST
Emina Evol says:
Thanks for the replies so far. Sorry I jacked this thread. Is it also to my understanding that the gold/silver/crystal are the same game? I remember blue version and red version (I think) also same game? How do you pick which one to get? Hahaha I know I am making this more confusing than it should be... there seems to be so many pokemon games out there. In the meantime I will gladly consider your guys' suggestions and check out that other thread. Thanks a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 10:00:02 AM PST
S. Kinel says:
basically the only difference in the early games is what pokemon you can catch, and when. like in silver, you could catch lugia early, and ho-oh at the end, and vice-versa with gold. also the random pokemon that appear will be slightly different in some places. in the newer games they've changed a bit more between them, like having the white forest in white, and black city in black, or whatever their names are.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 4:17:53 PM PST
Paul says:
I played most of the games ,i collected most of the event(wi-fi) pokemons and i can say pokemon black and white will be better than any previous game ,it got 10/10 score so it's going to be a hit.Sorry for my bad english.

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 2:09:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2011 2:12:05 PM PST
I love Pokemon! My son was born in 1995 the same year that Pokemon came to America. When he was little I said he was my own little Alexboo! The thing I like best about Pokemon is once you finish the game you can still play forever doing things like training Pokemon and breeding Pokemon. Currently my Pokemon Diamond is at 974 hours. I like training Pokemon to level 100 and comparing how they stack up against the Pokemon League. I would still be working on all the Game Boy Advance Pokemon games but when Nintendo discontinued the GBA I switched over to the DSI. I can't wait to get a hold of Pokemon Black and White. There are a whole lot of new Pokemon and TM's to make it interesting.
For the record my favorite Pokemon are Pikachu and Jiggly Puff. My best fighting is probably Salamance and overall I have found that water Pokemon are usually the strongest. I like to train Pokemon that are usually consider weak so strong they can beat the Elite 4.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 2:15:10 AM PST
Neko Mode says:
I went to the Pokemon Black & White Mall Tour and there were as many people my age (Early 20s) as there where little kids.

I fell out of it for a long white between school & college but the idea of a complete reboot has brought me back for another go and I must say I haven't been this excited about Pokemon since the 2nd set of games Silver & Gold first came out.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 6:05:05 PM PST
Once you get into the real depth of the gameplay (IV's and EV's) then you have a whole new adult perspective all together with calculating and such

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 10:13:47 AM PST
I have had Nintendo handheld systems since the silver gameboy came out, and have played Pokemon ever since red and blue. I'm 58 now and own multiple copies of every game going back to the first. I even taught myself how to replace the dead batteries. I still play the old ones and all the new ones. I've got Black and White on pre-order. Can't wait!!! Pokemon is not just for kids. It is for anyone who likes a game that can be played at your own pace. It is for anyone who enjoys escaping into a world of imagination. It's also a great series for anyone who believes in love, friendship, and loyalty, cause you can't come away from any pokemon game without caring about your "team" and how they helped you "catch 'em all".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 3:45:39 PM PST
If you miss out on certain event Pokemon just waite. They might be re released later on over Wi Fi or in a different event. You can aslo trade with a friend via local hotspots or over the net. But to do that you'll need thier Friend Code. If you check reliable Pokemon Fan sites like Serebi.net you'll find a lot of people who are willing to trade. Once you exchange friend codes and agree on a Pokemon trade, go to any Pokemon center and head to the Pokemon Wifi club section. Unlike the GTS you don't need to see the pokemon or have it's name registered in your dex.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 6:12:18 PM PST
will you still be able to keep Celebi ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2011 7:13:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2011 7:16:48 PM PST
Yes! Celebi is yours to keep. So have fun with your new Celebi. FYI Celebi unlocks the Geovani event in SS/HG. Put Celebi at the front of your team and head over to the shrine in Ilex Forest. If you transfer Celebi to Black/White you can catch Zoura (Spelling?).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pokemon White Version
Pokemon White Version by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (658)