Customer Discussions > Roku XD 1080p Streaming Player forum

three TVs = three Rokus??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2010 3:26:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2015 10:57:35 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 5:51:36 PM PST
Yes you do, unless you have another product that has netflix on it as well. I can stream to 4 different rooms at the same time, but my internet speed is about 30 mbs.

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 11:49:26 PM PST
J. Dodd says:
netflix currently will allow you to watch movies at multiple locations at the same time. we have a Roku player in one room, and we have an ipad, and an iphone that have cables that we can plug into our tv's. All three will play netflix movies at the same time. if you have a laptop, it may play a netflix movie and you could use a cable to plug it in to a tv. my netbook will not play a netflix movie for some reason. i am not sure how long netflix will let me watch movies at multiple locations at the same time. The Roku is very easy to disconnect and plug into another tv.

the Roku player is great. it is simple to set up, and it will work with almost any tv. it has multiple ways to hook up. it is a great item to have.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 6:13:42 PM PST
Thanks so much for your help! Maybe you two can help me understand the differences between the various Roku models. They seem so much alike, that this neophyte can't tell one from another... Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 7:31:49 AM PST
G. Denny says:
Actually, Netflix will let you stream to the level of your subscription. If you only have the 1 disc subscription or the basic streaming plan, you can stream to multiple devices but only 1 choice at a time. If you have the 2 disc service, you can stream 2 different things at the same time; 3 disc = 3 different things streamed at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:15:42 AM PST
Thanks so much for this information. Have you done this? Can I ask where you attach the Roku box -- at the cable modem? Our televisions now are connected to a Dish receiver. Where would that figure in?

I'm sorry to be so specific, but I can't seem to find any information about how to do this anywhere. I greatly appreciate any insight you might have...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:26:28 AM PST
G. Denny says:
I have 3 Rokus on 3 different TVs all streaming different content. Living room, child's play room and master bedroom. The living room Roku is connected to the router with an ethernet cable and connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. If you currently have your TV connected to your cable box, you can just add the Roku to an available input on the back of your TV. Depending on how old the TV is will determine what connection to use. The other 2 Roku's are on my wireless network, if you don't have wireless set up, it will be difficult to have more than 1 unit unless you can stretch an ethernet cable all around your house. Each Roku will need to be connected to the internet either wirelessly or with the ethernet cable.

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 8:43:08 AM PST
OK... We've got two TVs, so we'll need two Roku boxes. The TVs are 4 and 2 years old, so hopefully they'll have more than one input connection. Unfortunately, neither are in the same room as the cable box. I've heard that you can get skips or interruptions in your playback while using a wireless connection. Have you noticed any differences between your hard-wired TV and the other two?

One reviewer said that he uses these things Actiontec MegaPlug 85 Mbps Ethernet Adapter Twin-Pack instead of a wireless network. They sound like they'd work great, but we live in a 60-year-old house (which we've discovered was built by people not overly concerned with building codes) and I wonder whether our circuits would be up to the task.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 5:04:37 PM PST
Patchman says:
@Peg Hardaway Farrell
I have 3 rokus, 1 is hard wired to the router and two wireless (about 25ft away). For the most part i cannot see the diffeence. I get a hiccup once in awhile but so does the hard wired one. I have att 6mb fios. I cant reccomend these boxes enough. I have 1 of each model and all work above expectation. Oh yeah the powerline adapters will work fine in case the wireless is a problem.

Take Care

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 6:00:17 PM PST
You guys are terrific. Thanks for the great info!

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 8:50:22 AM PST
Gosh, so glad that I found this thread! I have one Roku device, and I love it, but I would love to have a second one for my bedroom, and I wondered how that would work (until I read this thread). I had even had a live chat session with a Roku rep, and I didn't get as much from them as I did here! Thanks, everyone!

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 8:54:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2010 8:57:35 AM PST
I second your endorsement! Thanks to the folks here and in other threads, I knew to set my new Roku up with a gajillion feet of cable first, then let ir find the wireless connection. Worked just great.

Well, all except the cables that stick out from the front of the older TV; there's only one input connection at the back and it's taken up with the Dish cable. Small price to pay, I suppose to be free of my computer monitor! :-)

Roku-- and Roku owners -- are terrific! Thanks again, everyone.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 9:51:09 AM PST
A. Mcgrady says:
At Denny, actually if you have the basic streaming only plan NF will let you stream to 4 different devices at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 10:47:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 26, 2011 11:32:04 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 11:05:01 AM PST
A. Mcgrady says:
@ Denny, I can read English. I just always thought it was 4 choices at a time and 4 streams at a time on the standard streaming only plan. I will call them later and let you know what I find out.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 11:24:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 26, 2011 11:34:32 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 11:41:39 AM PST
OK, let's all take a deep breath and chill a bit, shall we?

People sometimes ask (what might seem to others) silly questions [see my earlier questions for good examples of same]. People sometimes write quickly and may not phrase their questions/answers the clearest way possible [ditto]. But if these questions/answers are posed with courtesy and good intent, they deserve the same sort of response, i.e., ones without personal denigration or unnecessary sarcasm.

To do otherwise is not only needlessly unkind, but stops both further conversation and further learning, which is why we're all here in the first place, yes?

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 11:46:21 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 26, 2011 11:36:00 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 12:00:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2011 12:16:08 PM PST
A. Mcgrady says:
Hey peg don't bother, this guy is clearly a "know it all" that likes to act superior to everyone he talks to. His last post where he quotes NF policy mentions nothing of the no disc streaming only plan. Which is what we are discussing. He is going on about how I can't read or whatever when he has yet to prove that you can only have 1 selection streaming on 4 different tvs at the same time within the streaming only plan, which is what he claims. I am arguing that you can have 4 separate selections and 4 simultaneous streams at any given time within the no disc streaming only, cheaper plan. Again I repeat I am not talking about the disc plans as I am full aware of the disc plans policies we are discussing the streaming only plan that offers no disc. Netflix told me a few months ago when the streaming only plan debuted that I can have 4 streams at a time and they made no mention that it would all have to be the same selection. On my other post I simply said I would call and confirm, what I am fairly certain of and this guy goes of on his little tantrum for no reason.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 12:05:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 5, 2011 12:07:52 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 12:35:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 26, 2011 11:34:41 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 12:37:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2011 1:03:42 PM PST
A. Mcgrady says:
And you are wrong about the streaming options of the streaming only plan I have talked to them and they said that the streaming only plan can have 4 simultaneous streams, why would they force everyone to watch the same thing 4 streams must mean 4 different things. It may have seemed like I was throwing a tantrum but I don't like it when people question my intelligence by saying I cannot read. I was talking about the streaming only plan the entire time but you keep wanting me to read the policy that refers to the disc plans when they are totally different policies. Sorry if I sounded harsh but maybe you shouldn't insult people over the internet. Also can you quote a section that refers to the streaming only plan forcing all 4 streams to watch the same thing because thats not what they told me on the phone.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 3:14:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2011 3:15:07 PM PST
A. Mcgrady says:
@ Denny:

You probably will not respond to me but guess what I just got off the phone with Netflix and the streaming only plan will allow 4 simultaneous streams all watching a separate show so I believe you are wrong and your insults were without merit. If you do not believe me go ahead and call for yourself. You sir are the one who is misinformed and I don't appreciate your remarks at all.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 1:33:26 PM PST
K. Gould says:
fellas...fellas...wrer talking' TV here not religion or politics....your both gonna pop a gasket..now repeat after me....mellow..mellow....mellow...thats it..good job

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 3:24:09 PM PST
A. Mcgrady says:
@ Gould:

You made me laugh, thanks. You are right he can think what he wants I know i'm right though and I want all who read this post to know that the streaming only plan will allow 4 different rooms in your house to watch 4 different programs, thats all for now, thanks for reading.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2015

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Roku XD 2050, 720p Streaming Player
Roku XD 2050, 720p Streaming Player by Roku
4.0 out of 5 stars   (1,197)