Customer Discussions > Time and Again forum

time travel books as good as these?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2008 8:02:16 AM PDT
Suz says:
I love Jack Finney's books. I've read Time and Again and Time after Time, and have listened to them on tape. Treat yourself to this experience(by Simon and Schuster)! I've read all of his short stories. Has anyone read time travel or historical fiction by another author that is as well-written and wonderful as Jack Finney's?

I just finished Time out of Mind by John Maxim. Maxim has not written any other books like this one as far as I know.

If you share my enthusiasm for Finney, can you make any suggestions? Also I didn't read Assault on a Queen by him. What did you think of that?( read all the others though)
Thanks. Suzanne

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 3:56:26 PM PST
Mark Rosa says:
My absolute favorite time travel book -- and I'm a huge baseball nut, so you might not like it if the National Pastime and its history don't appeal to you -- is "If I Never Get Back", by Darryl Brock. Readers of that book recommended Finney, which is what got me into "Time and Again". In that story, the hero gets sent back to the year 1869 and the beginnings of professional baseball, and finds himself mixed up with, among other things, the first-ever all-professional team in Cincinnati, Mark Twain, Irish nationalists, Civil War veterans, and gold speculators. Great fun all the way through!

Sam Fowler, Brock's protagonist, wasn't the least bit prepared for his journey to the 19th century, so you get much more fish-out-of-water plot elements than in Finney's book, but it's enormously appealing and you'll never forget having read it.

(Also, like Finney, Brock wrote a sequel that, while decent, isn't anywhere near the greatness of the original.)

Give this book a shot!

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 9:36:36 AM PDT
lxm16 says:
Okay, these may be too quirky for you, but try Connie Willis. "To say nothing about the Dog", and "The Doomsday Book".
She's the only other author that I can think of who does time travel well.

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 11:54:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2010 10:56:08 AM PST
A. C. Lutzky says:
I saw this discussion and thought that since you may potentially like it (and of course I am happy to find readers who might), I would tell you about my own novel. But as good as "Time And Again"? - of course that would be up to you, not me! What it does have in common though, is that the time-travel is based on mind transformation, not on a "time machine," and also it's "experiential". The story is a weaving between the life of an ancient ancestor (from Mesopotamian/Indus Valley times) and the lives of a man and woman who are her 20-21st century decendants (their lives take place throughout six decades in various locations of the modern world). I'm hoping the people on this forum would enjoy it. As for myself, I have not actually read "Time and Again" but now, thanks to you, I've browsed the Amazon reviews and certainly will read it! I grew up loving time travel stories; Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End" was my favorite. I liked time travel novels, t.v. plays, movies; but mostly I read the great science fiction short story magazines that were around in the 50's and 60's. I wonder if they are still available somehow, maybe in short story collections.Those Beautiful Eyes

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 10:37:09 AM PDT
Time and Again has to be my favorite book and I've read a lot of books. I just wish that I could experience what Si Morley experienced. I am a genealogist and it would be wonderful in it's truest meaning to visit the past and learn about my ancestors and their families first hand. If anyone knows of a book that is comparable to Time and Again, please let me know.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 10:40:33 AM PDT
Time and Again has to be my favorite book and I've read a lot of books. I just wish that I could experience what Si Morley experienced. I am a genealogist and it would be wonderful in it's truest meaning to visit the past and learn about my ancestors and their families first hand. If anyone knows of a book that is comparable to Time and Again, please let me know.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 10:42:04 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 5:41:26 AM PDT
Replay by Ken Grimwood is by far the best time travel novel I have ever read. It got me to seek out Time and Again. I don't normally recommend books to people, because they can be so subjective, but I have recommended Replay to everyone I know that reads. I will guarentee you will not be disappointed.

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 9:23:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2010 9:31:31 PM PDT
traveler says:
TIME ON MY HANDS: A Novel with Photographs

The Mirror

Household Gods

Someone mentioned Connie Willis -- AVOID Connie Willis! Anyone who appreciates the textured depth and gorgeous resonance of Jack Finney will be bitterly disappointed by Willis' clever-clever, oh-so-superficial shallowness. Plus, The Doomsday Book was sadly in need of a good edit.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 3:35:50 PM PDT
The Time Traveler's Wife

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 11:54:55 AM PST
The Connie Willis books are among my all time favs!

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:02:37 PM PST
AMY F L says:
A bit off topic, but I am looking for a novel that I read around 1999-2001 at school. It was a new release at this time.

The basis of the story was a female researcher who travelled back in time using the time machine invention of a group of UK scientists, and who falls in love with Per, a Nordic prince.

Unfortunately I can't remember the title or the author, does anyone know this story?

Thanks in advance for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2013 10:59:16 AM PDT
Str8t Bolt is good, Time Call was good, the mirror and replay--Do you have any more time travels that you have liked? I feel that I have read them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2013 11:00:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 2, 2013 11:00:53 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2013 11:40:24 AM PDT
chazgof says:
I am looking for the name of a book I read about 15 years ago - it was set in New York City and the person travelling back looked into a painting and travelled back to around the 1890's NYC. I thought it was something like "now and then" but I can't seem to locate it. He would stay in a boarding house and of course, fell in love with someone from that time period. Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2013 2:33:07 PM PDT
Was it somewhere in time?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2013 3:40:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2013 3:43:17 PM PDT
traveler says:
Time and Again
Probably Time and Again, by Jack Finney, the same guy who wrote Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The sequel is Time After Time. This is the NYC love story time travel novel, set in the Dakota (where John Lennon lived), and traveling to Gilded Age NY.

Somewhere In Time
The painting and the hotel are from Somewhere in Time, by Richard Matheson -- similar time travel method, but located in an old, grand resort hotel.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2013 4:04:35 PM PST
Duncan says:
Rant A little coarse, but a great look at the genre from Chuck P.

The Death of Rock 'n' Roll, The Impossibility of Time Travel and Other Lies A new novel looking at time travel as a means to explore social elements.

Eating the Dinosaur Chuck K. explores the paradox of time travel.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 4:02:41 PM PDT
P. Bakker says:
Jack Finney's time travel books are amazing. I don't care for Connie Willis' at all, so won't recommend her books. For a more adventure-oriented time travel series, try Robert Asprin's and Linda Evans' Time Scout series. Not high literature but still fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2014 3:52:05 PM PDT
Try "In Times Like These." In Times Like These (Volume 1)

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:15:30 PM PDT
John Taylor says:
I read a book several years by a husband and wife team, where a family discovers that they will travel back into the old west, then do. The main character is a writer, and he and his wife, along with a grown daughter and son, travel to frontier Arizona, via an energy experiment gone awry.
Sound familiar?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2014 5:25:47 PM PDT
It sounds good--what is its name?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2014 10:42:31 AM PDT
John Taylor says:
I will buy you a copy as well, if you can supply the name. I would love to have another copy, but forgot all the essential information...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Time and Again forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Mar 15, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Time and Again
Time and Again by Jack Finney (Paperback - 1990)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (541)