Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > The Fragile forum

torture and catharsis

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2009 11:43:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2009 11:55:19 AM PDT
christopher says:
The music of Nine Inch Nails has reportedly been used by the U.S. military as music torture to break down the resolve of detainees.[117]Reznor objected to the use of his music in this way with the following message on the front page of the Nine Inch Nails website: "It's difficult for me to imagine anything more profoundly insulting, demeaning and enraging than discovering music you've put your heart and soul into creating has been used for purposes of torture. If there are any legal options that can be realistically taken they will be aggressively pursued, with any potential monetary gains donated to human rights charities. Thank GOD this country has appeared to side with reason and we can put the Bush administration's reign of power, greed, lawlessness and madness behind us."

this is taken from a wikipedia article on nin.

Call me crazy but why would music with heavy dissonance, distortion, screaming and nihilistic/anti-religious themes not be a perfectly logical choice for sonic torture? I have to wonder at the willfully naive social philosophy which leads to both a moral condemnation of physical acts and the endorsement of negativity, violent simulations and morally bleak themes through artistic expression. If religion and corporate/government media can negatively influence people it would stand to reason that reactionary, catharsis orientated art can as well negatively effect society. This is especially true in relation to adolescent minds whose biochemistry can lead to confusion and anger. How can such irrational processes not be drawn towards aggressive and subversive articulations with the added appeal of melodic/visual stimulation. Is it not just convenient selfish rationalization that dismisses possible negative social effects when it concerns something one likes or creates? Freedom of expression can psychologically stunt minds and justify violence in unstable people just as the belief in freewill can lead to the justification of righteous vengeance and judgmental views. Very little art is safe or innocent of the potential for unhealthy/negative influence, but it is a distortion of reason to condemn physical actions while praising free expression. I see more selective intelligence at work in popular morality than I see progressive or honest thought. Just another opinion, for whatever it is worth.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 2:36:09 PM PST
that is one of the most degrading things i've heard in a while. No wonder Trent made Year Zero and went after Bush the way he did.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Fragile forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jun 7, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Fragile
The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails (Audio CD - 1999)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,116)