Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on January 29, 2012
I started reading this book with high hopes - the premise seemed reasonably original - a joint Soviet/Mexican/Cuban invasion of the continental US in 1980 or thereabouts, but the whole has been destroyed from page one by extremely poor grammar, elementary capitalization errors and totally illogical factual errors, quite apart from the minor irritation of double-spaced paragraphs that significantly reduce the available print on the page.

Factual errors that grate - to itemise but two: a video that `went viral' in 1980 (Mr Grossman forgets that not many of us had personal computers in 1980, let alone the internet, which did not come into general use until the 90s); and a `Russian' (not `Soviet') battleship that shelled Seattle with 32" `electromagnetic assist' (by 1980 the Soviets relied entirely on naval rockets - thoroughly understood, accurate, relatively cheap and easily replenished. By comparison naval guns - which quickly wear out, are difficult to load, aim and control, and for which only limited stocks can be carried on-board - were not only out of fashion, they were being thrown away even by the Argentineans.

Military terms need sometimes to be explained to the general reader, and Mr Grossman needs to adhere more closely to the accepted military rank structure - a Mexican `Generalissimo' does not lead four battalions, and a Soviet brigadier (the Soviets had no such rank - the lowest General being a Major General) does not command a Guards Tank Army, that would be the responsibility of a Colonel General (`General-Polkovnik').

I just wish that Mr Grossman had proof-read his book before rushing into print, and had not used a speech-to-text engine without editing - sentences normally begin with capital letters, as do proper names and military ranks. And a General('s) plan is possibly quite different to a general plan.

Despite these major/minor points, Mr Grossman's book has value - the basic plot remains interesting and imaginative, perhaps even worth the effort!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2014
I downloaded this book onto my Kindle a couple days ago. I finished reading it today. I really enjoyed this version of a W.W. III.My only nitpick of this is,warrant officers in the USAF. One of the characters in this is a USAF warrant officer. I served in the USAF. To the best of my knowledge,and from what I have read,the USAF halted the warrant officer program back in 1957. That was the year they introduced pay grades E8 and E9.

Maybe the author was not aware of this. However,most,if not all active duty USAF warrant officers were retired around 1980. So even with this in mind,I still enjoyed the book. I will have to download book two before I go back to the road as a truck driver.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2012
I found it to be very enjoyable, and as a veteran of the US Military (Army National Guard and USMC), I found him to be very knowledgable of military subjects.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2012
This book was a mess from the get-go. As other reviewers have pointed out, the editing was non-existent, and was in fact gibberish in the part I read. The author also failed to do even rudimentary research into U.S, Russian, Cuban, and Mexican military capabilities, manpower, equipment, and organization. Cuba giving Mexico 3,000 tanks and 2,000 anti-tank units? Cuba only had about 1,500 tanks in the mid 90's. Russia sending out two super-carriers and a giant battleship with 32 inch guns? Russia has one carrier, and it's not super by any stretch of the imagination. It carries 41-52 fixed wing aircraft. The Soviet Union never had a battleship period. The list goes on and on. I quit reading very early in this book and hope my review will save other readers from wasting their money.
on February 10, 2012
Interesting premise, but the writing is almost gibberish at times. The author appears to have virtually no understanding of the US military other than from watching movies or playing video games. A little editing would go a long way in improving this book. There is no helping the ignorance of how the military operates but I guess that is part of the story.
11 comment0 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse