Which treadmill works best? I am very exited about getting a TrekDesk and changing the way I work. But I am missing a key component: a treadmill. Before I start ordering accessories, I need the actual equipment! What treadmills (models, companies, etc) have you found to work well with this desk? Has anyone found a treadmill with controls that are still usable while working with the TrekDesk? Or should I just accept that fact that I will have to block the controls in order to use the desk?
asked by Evenomiko on June 8, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
votes
I spent about a year testing each of the different desks out there as purchasing a treadmill desk is a major purchase. You can see the results of my research here: http://www.blog.joelx.com/lifespan-fitness-treadmill-desk-review-comparison/6645/
Joel Gross answered on August 27, 2012

A
votes
I checked the schematics on their site for dimensions and took the dimensions with me to shop for a treadmill. My panel is completely clear of the desk. On the down side, I didn't think a padded treadmill that important. I was wrong. Hours of walking requires a padded deck on the treadmill.
LovesBooks answered on January 19, 2013

A
votes
I built one by setting aside all my worries about "getting it right" and just bought a standing desk and a treadmill from Craig's List. Total cost: $299.00. I didn't have to do any cutting or modifying of either unit-- I just assembled the standing desk without using all of the shelves. Additionally, the treadmill I found on Craig's List ($200, walking treadmill, like-new condition) happens to have redundant controls on the arms, so they are easily available with the desk in place (even though reading the display is now tricky). The price of equipment made expressly for this purpose is ridiculous.

For details of my particular desk, see https://www.facebook.com/thewalkingdesk. In the earlier posts, I go through which parts I used.

I've now (some 800 miles later) gotten to a point of knowing exactly what I would do differently if I were to build a new one-- and that's not anything you can effectively anticipate for yourself, it just comes from experience. The key benefit here: the part where you can walk while you use your computer.

For comparison, before I went ahead to put mine together, I tried out both a dealer-built unit (in the $1200 range) and someone else's home-made unit (a very high-end treadmill with a board attached to it). The cost of the treadmills that are marketed specifically for this purpose are marked up by roughly 400% from their feature-equivalent conventional counterparts.

My biggest complaint about the treadmill I have is that it loses its odometer reading when it loses power (which I expect every one of them on the market does).
Fletcher answered on January 28, 2013

A
vote
I was wondering the same thing so did some searching on Amazon and found the Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill, which is very reasonably priced as well as gotten good reviews. One of the first reviews talks about it being perfect for a treadmill desk!
L. Wallach answered on May 31, 2012

A
votes
This is such a difficult question to answer because the variables involved are different for everyone. TrekDesk will work with virtually any treadmill however. The best way to determine what treadmill works best for you is to contact TrekDesk at info@trekdesk.com and they can assist you.
Steve answered on December 25, 2012

A
votes
That is an easy question to answer, TrekDesk fits virtually ANY treadmill.
TrekDesk Treadmill Desks  SELLER  answered on March 12, 2014    See this seller's offer
‹ Previous   1   Next ›