Apple iPod nano 8 GB Black (4th Generation)  (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $59.00
Is it true that iPod's will only sinc to one computer? HELP? I am totally new to iPods/mp3 players and am afraid I didn't do enough research before asking for one for Christmas. I am a music lover and find myself constantly changing radio stations. And I hate buying CD's for just one song. I live in the country and only am able to get REALLY slow dial up internet so downloading has been out of the question. I have wanted the portability of an iPod for a long time but never took the plunge because of my internet situation until now.

I am planning on getting a laptop with a wireless connection in the future (probably not until around Oct.09 though) but thought in the meantime that I could use my work computer for downloading to my iPod. I just read somewhere this morning that I can only sinc it to one computer though. So here are my questions now...

1. Is it true that it can only sinc to one computer or have I misunderstood?
2. What happens when you "upgrade" your computer or heaven forbid it were to crash...What then...Is your iPod no good?
3. If it is true that it can only sinc to one computer is there any way around that?
4. And what if you were to sell it or buy a used one? How does that work if it will only sinc to one computer.

Please any help is greatly appreciated. I was soooo excited to have my first iPod and am now totally bummed and thinking I should return it.
asked by S. Voorhees on December 29, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
votes
1. Yes, its true you can only sync it to one computer.
2. If your computer crashes, your iPod can still be good, only if you brought all your songs off iTunes.
3. There's no way around that.
4. It syncs to whatever computer, with those songs.
ex: you have 100 songs
you buy a used ipod with 50 songs on it, as soon as you sync it to your computer, it erases the songs on the ipod and transfers your 100 songs to your iPod
Mark Twain answered on December 29, 2008

A
votes
So...am I understanding right? If I back up everything that I put on my ipod from now til October (when I plan to buy my laptop with wireless connection) in October when I get my laptop I can sync to that I will just lose what was already on my ipod. But can then use my music that I have backed up all along and reload? I am very sorry...I am just totally new to this whole world. Thank you for helping me out!!!!!
S. Voorhees answered on December 29, 2008

A
votes
I highly recommend using Apple's support site (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/) rather than asking Amazon users. Most don't actually know what they're talking about.

You can easily back up, transfer, switch computers, etc (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329)

Also, you can switch to manually sync your iPod which will allow you to sync with many computers. The purpose of auto-syncing is to ensure that the changes you make on your computer are mirrored on your iPod. However, there are many other easy ways to manage your iPod such as dragging-and-dropping playlists straight to the iPod. (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1351)
PalmerDeville answered on December 29, 2008

A
votes
Thanks. I was actually on Apple's support site but was having trouble finding anything. I will try again. I apppreaciate all the help!
S. Voorhees answered on December 30, 2008

A
votes
a very useful $50.00 spent is to purchase the online software program of CopyTrans Suite. It allows you to copy, save and transfer any iTunes library that you have to another ipod, to another itunes base and so on. It has saved me a lot a money in the long run, when I buy a new iPod, or am trying to transfer songs from one computer to another. Hope that helps.
California Rose answered on December 30, 2008

A
votes
I have the same internet issues at home. I synce my Ipod at work and, if on vac. etc., can sync at home. My home computer asks me do I want to copy what's on the Ipod to the computer. There is a vary easy back up function within I-tunes were you burn to CD everything in your Ipod library just in case.
Amazon Customer answered on January 25, 2009

A
votes
Actually, if you can store your library and files on an external drive (I have all of mine on a 4gb SDHC card) then you don't need to sync it to only one computer. It syncs to one library, and if you have that portable, then it should work on any computer with iTunes. Just be sure you choose your library, or it will prompt you to sync to the default (if you are indeed on a different computer, like a friend's or something).
Lisa answered on May 13, 2009

A
votes
No. If you have a portable hard drive you can transfer data. ( iTunes goes with your drive.) You also get your songs from the first computer.
Cameron answered on August 8, 2009

A
votes
Um...I have used my iPod with two different computers in my household, a lot, with none of this syncing problem...
K. R. Sweeney answered on September 13, 2009
‹ Previous   1   Next ›