Sony Alpha SLT-A57 16.1 MP Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor DSLR with Translucent Mirror Technology and 3D Sweep Panorama (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $279.95
I am trying to decide on the Sony A57 bundle with the two Sony lenses or the bundle without the lenses& purchasing a Tamron 18-200 lens instead. Help
asked by tt addict on February 20, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
I did not purchase the bundle as I had several Minolta lenses that fit this body. I have not heard anything bad about Sony lenses. Sorry, wish I could be more help.
Dean Junker answered on February 20, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It depends what you want in your lenses. If you want a fast lens such as an f2.8 to complement the A57 I would suggest you buy the body and shop around for 2 lenses that satisfy your needs. Typically kit/bundle lenses are slow lenses (f3.5 and higher). One other item. Do you currently have lenses that fit the A57? If you do they should be part of the equation when you start shopping.I ended up buying the f2.8 and a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 with MACRO.
Carmen J. Digiacomo answered on February 20, 2013

A
Hard for anybody else to answer this question for you, because this is a personal decision. I'll offer my advice but I really don't know if it will work for you so you'll have to think carefully about your decision.

Some people love superzoom lenses like the Tamron 18-200 or 18-270. I'm NOT a favor of superzoom lenses. A very large part of the point of SLR/SLT class cameras is that they support interchangeable lenses, so you can use the right lens for the job at hand. The superzoom lenses have gotten better, but they're inevitably not as good quality as zooms that have smaller focal ranges, or primes (fixed focal length lenses). The superzoom is convenient - you don't have to change lenses often - but if that's your main consideration you might want to consider a bridge camera instead.

The A57 is a remarkably good camera. You can Google my name and "review of A57" to read my review at TechHive. The camera deserves a decent lens. If you''re new to photography one of the very best things you could do for yourself would be to buy the A57 body only, then get one or two of the excellent but inexpensive Sony primes: I'd recommend the 30 f/2.8 macro or the 35 f/1.8.

Half the fun of owning an SLR/SLT class camera is learning about lenses, buying lenses, learning to use different lenses!

Good luck with your purchase decision and I hope you enjoy this wonderful camera.
William Porter answered on February 20, 2013
Comments (10) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I guess what you
Kobi K. answered on February 20, 2013

A
I took the Tamron 18-250 and I am very satisfied
Arnold Segal answered on February 20, 2013

A
I have all of that. I have gotten better shots sith th Sony lenses. The kit lenses aren't bad at all and the long lens is really good. I might sell my Tamron. Next lense is the 35 mm Sony which sounds like a bargain.
Zippy answered on February 21, 2013

A
I purchased just the body and then the Sony Alpha SAL35F18 lens separate, and I couldn't be happier. I REALLY like the Sony lens with this camera. As far as kit lenses go, Sony's aren't horrible, but I think paying a little extra for a big boost is totally worth it.
Madison answered on February 21, 2013

A
I bought the Sony A57 (Body only) and a Tamron 28-300mm lens. I had a Sony lens (18-55mm) and a Exacta lens (70-210mm) before, but it's horrible for me to change the lenses for each situation. So I think it's better for travelling to have a superzoom lens.
B. Reil answered on February 21, 2013

A
best to buy the camera body and then Tamron SP lens, not the std Tamron, also a great lens is the Tamron 16-70 f2.8. These lenses rival the Sony G series for much less $$
Frank S. answered on February 23, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›