Customer Discussions > The Host: A Novel forum

After the twilight series, what fiction book would you recommend I read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2009 3:09:37 PM PST
Home Person says:
I am a 22 year old female and for several years I had not been able to find a good fiction book that I wouldn't stop 2 chapters in and never pick up again. For some reason I couldn't get into fiction the way I had when I was in middle school.

But then I came across twilight. Thanfully after the series was finished so I was able to finish all four books in five days. And now I realize how much I've missed getting into a good book.

I realize that I tend to gravitate towards fantasy stories. I got through the first seven or eight books of the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan but then had to stop because the writing just got too slow for me.

I tried the first three or four books of harry potter, and although the story was good I think I subconsciously didn't like the writing or something because I never felt the same need to go on like I did with twilight.

As you can see, I'm picky when it comes to books. I've tried most bestsellers but can't get into them, and do not want to read something trashy (I started one of the famous orhan pamuk (sp?) books but it got trashy very early on so I stopped).

I really hope someone can recommend something that I would be able to bury myself in. Preferrably something long because I'm a fast reader.

Some books I've enjoyed a lot are:

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (the rest of the series was nowhere near as good)
The Summer of the Barshinskeys (but all her books tend to be super depressing so not sure I want to try my hand at another one by her)
There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom (I love children's books but this kinda takes away from the length requirement. I'm tired of buying books and then finishing them within the hour :-P)

Those are all that come to mind right now, really hope someone can help. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 6:25:20 PM PST
PenNameJane says:
What do you think of historical fiction? Have you tried any of the Phillipa Gregory books (e.g. The Other Boleyn Girl, et al?). It's not fantasy but it is fascinating!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 7:43:15 PM PST
jkb618 says:
I did the same thing you did after reading Twilight. I couldn't believe how much I had missed by not reading. I ended up in the romance section and read some time travel books (I read the Highlander books but she also has some "fever" books about vampires) by Karen Marie Moning. Then I found Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kresley Cole and Erin McCarthy. My favorite was Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I cried and laughed and loved that it was a long book. She also had other books in the series that are on my list to be read. All of these are adult books so don't be shocked at the descriptive romance. Let us know how these work for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 8:16:54 PM PST
Hi there! Reading your post cracked me up because I felt the exact same way! I am your age (23) and it sounds like we like the same types of books. A friend made me read the Twilight series and I just got so hooked on them that I really got into the habit of reading...but what to read now? :) I've pretty much realized that if a book doesn't have some sort of fantasy element I'm not interested. Have you tried to Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon? It's about a lady from World War II era who time travels back to Scotland in the 1700's. I read these a couple years back and loved them. They are much more adult than Twilight and longer too (which os a good thing for you!) I don't like trashy books either so I do have to warn you that there are some "adult scenes" but I think those were mainly in the first book, and it wasn't too terrible. I would give them a try- I think you'd really like them! There are a couple of other books that are much shorter, but I have to recommend them..."Impossible" by Nancy Werlin is about a girl who has to break a curse before her baby is born. This one is totally clean and there is a really sweet love story element to it. A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb is about a ghost who falls in love with a human. It's really sweet! And then The Hunger Games was just awesome. Stephenie Meyer herself raves about this one. I wasn't super interested based on the synopsis but I gave it a try and was so glad I did! The sequel comes out later this year and I can't wait! :) I hope I've helped...happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 11:02:25 PM PST
Home Person says:
thanks jk. I think I'm definitely going to give outlander a try, i'd never heard of it before but I'm thinking over a thousand five stars on amazon probably aren't wrong :-P

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 11:24:33 PM PST
Home Person says:
hello! Glad to see I'm not the only one who's craving some good reading material. *sigh* I miss the magic of books :(

haha. thanks for your suggestions, most of them sound very interesting. The Outlander has been recommended to me several times so I think I'm going to give that a try. The Hunger Games I'd never heard of before but I just looked it up and correct me if I'm wrong but it's about a dystopia? Society gone wrong, what are we doing to ourselves kinda thing? I LOVE dystopias/philosophies about society (1984, The Giver, Animal Farm, The Fountainhead) so I have a feeling I'd really like The Hunger Game.
The rest of your recommendations I think I'm going to add to my incredibly long list of "children's" (in my dictionary, any book shorter than Twilight :-P) books that I hope to eventually acquire.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009 6:20:46 PM PST
S. Crossman says:
I JUST finished (like seriously, half an hour ago) "Breaking Dawn", and it just about killed me. Unlike you, I DID like the Harry Potter books, though I would much more highly recommend Philip Pullman's "Golden Compass" trilogy (and please don't ever see the movie!). Another series I really got into was Stephen King's "Dark Tower" books, which are VERY different from his horror books. Very sci fi, very different. Also, anything by Douglas Adams, if you want to laugh until you think you might come apart at the seams. To take it to another level, maybe it's time to delve into something with a little more bite...if you're craving more intellectual stimulation, and not just a story, I'd check out "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins.
If all else fails, I'd go back and read "A Wrinkle in Time". Never fails for me.
Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009 6:57:29 PM PST
Home Person says:
haha. It's funny, but I WAS able to reread a wrinkle in time not too long ago. And I love Douglas Adams, so been there, read that. :)
Jitterbug Perfume does sound amazing, I think I'll try that. Thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 4:07:24 PM PST
J. Mikuluk says:
Hi, I read and loved the twilight books, let me tell you I have enjoyed reading another series even more. Check out the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire books by Charlain Harris. Great, adult-twilight version.

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 8:48:05 AM PST
Total agree with J. Mikuluk. After rereading the twilight series twice, I needed something new. Although completely different, I really
enjoyed all 8 of the Sookie Stackhouse books (yea number 9 is coming in May!). Also agree it is much more adult in theme than Twilight.
Then, I heard about the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan and I am on number 7 (out of 14). This series is much more 'young adult' and
focuses on Wicca and witches instead of vampires - give it a try!

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 1:24:42 PM PST
bookgirll says:
I have to recommend Outlander as well. I actually think while more adult than twilight, the theme is quite similar......

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 7:51:28 AM PST
Try the Sword of Truth series...fantasy plus forbidden romance...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 9:36:21 AM PST
Did you try her book the Host?

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 10:12:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2009 10:23:03 AM PST
Amanda Way says:
I'm 26 and I truly fell in love with the Twilight books... now I'm reading them for the 2nd time & seem to be in the same boat as to what I'm going to delve into next. I loved the Harry Potter books & C. S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia is another series that I absolutely LOVE! I read it for the first time in my early teens.... great fantasy, but very clean. I've since re-read it around the time the movies started coming out. I would definitely recommend reading these, there are 7 books, they read pretty fast, but are well worth it.

I think I'm going to try the Outlander & Sookie Stackhouse books... they sound intriguing! Thanks for the suggestions!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 12:39:54 PM PST
Ahinahina says:
Try 'Interview With a Vampire' by Anne Rice, I think you'll like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 5:12:25 PM PST
D. Frizzell says:
The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. Unfortunately, it is one of those books you never want to end. It is a trilogy, but the second book hasn't come out yet. She also has a juvenile series called "Gregor the Overlander".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 6:13:27 PM PST
The Holly Black Series Tithe, Valiant and Ironside are good. I was hooked pretty quickly and wanted more.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 6:05:14 PM PST
Hullo

Check out "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon K. Penman. It's fantastic. Beautifully written *plus* based off historical events, it's part romance and part mystery. Really good stuff, and you can check out the book to see if it's to your liking here on Amazon.

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 12:42:19 PM PST
S. Chin says:
Try the Crysalids by John Wyndam and Day of the Triffids. Also if your up for a little para-normal sexy stuff, try Jacquelyn Frank (Nightwalker series). Im an AVID reader (book a night) and I love supernatural stuff. I know you're not into it but Im an adult Potthead (Harry Potter fan) and I also love romance, so trying to find a mix of the two general themes has been hard. Loved the Twilight series and now have my friends HOOKED on my book collections.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 6:39:23 PM PST
B. Hebert says:
Twilight Series is my absolute favorite, however I loved the Sookie Stackhouse Books too. I also recommend "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. It is awesome.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 10:48:25 AM PST
Ree says:
The Charlaine Harris "Southern Vampire" (Sookie Stackhouse) books are great, but they are a lot more adult in nature. Yum!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2009 3:11:46 PM PST
I just put the book The Hunger Games on hold at the library because Stephanie rec. it on her web page.. I didnt realize it was the same author as Gregor the Overlander. I listened to all of those on audio last summer. They were great. I really thought they would make a movie from the gregor books..

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 2:53:16 AM PDT
rena1988 says:
hi i'm 21 and i as many of you loved the twilight books...all of them. When i finished breaking dawn, a friend gave me Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons", whivh i finished in three days. It was good, but of course nothing compares to the twilight books. Right now i'm reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. The reviews on amazon.com are very good so i thought i'd give it a try..i'm still in the beginning but it looks promising...you should check it out

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2009 6:06:56 AM PDT
Because of your suggestion I am going to read Outlander. My fiance was born in Scotland so I am sure I will enjoy this series. I loved the Twilight Series!!

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 4:56:21 PM PDT
M.M.Coen says:
If you haven't already...you must read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. You will not be disappointed!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Host: A Novel forum
Participants:  74
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Host
The Host by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (5,642)