Customer Discussions > Borderlands - Xbox 360 forum

ugly cover art

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2009 10:20:19 PM PDT
C. Nielsen says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 7:45:28 AM PDT
Jaysonguy says:
You have no taste whatsoever
The stark background works well with the game's contents exploding out of his head as he "shoots" himself in the head

This is an example of great box art and one of the best for this generation

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 10:22:23 PM PDT
Yah its kind of retarded

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 10:23:00 PM PDT
What are you? 5? This is not a coloring book. The art is beautiful and the idea is brilliant. I am not sure about one of the best in this generation though.

"It will blow your mind"

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 7:41:28 AM PDT
The cover does not generate much excitement.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2009 9:09:22 AM PDT
No, I have the exact same reaction, this cover art makes me want the game less.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 9:31:09 AM PDT
Burningsoul says:
The cover art is good in the sense that it's more original than most of the generic cover arts you see.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 9:43:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2009 6:28:41 AM PDT
Travis Stone says:
Are you kidding me?

"I'm actually less likely to purchase the game after seeing this cover."

I was on the edge for this game until I saw that cover, and now I have it pre-ordered. The cover alone could have sold me on the game, had I not been following this game since it was announced.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 1:56:52 PM PDT
Jeff S says:
the cover art is f'ing awesome, but that is besides the point. who doesn't get a game because of the COVER ART???

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 4:28:49 PM PDT
Lord Korax says:
Basing your purchase of a game on its cover art is idiotic. You should get a game based on recommendations from friends, reviews from trusted sources, and your own experience (playing a demo). It may be cliche, but "don't judge a book by its cover" is particularly apt in this case.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 7:42:35 PM PDT
Travis Stone says:
@Lord Korax

Not to shut you down, because I do agree that the cover art alone wouldn't justify a purchase of a game, (Even as awesome as Borderlands' cover is.) but A LOT of people browsing Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Gamestop are gonna see a cover that grabs their eye and if they think it looks awesome, there's a chance they might nab that game without "researching" it.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 6:25:34 PM PDT
Man, the last cover art I saw was only a lame symbol. I have to say this one is awesome. I haven't seen much like it, and enjoy something fresh.

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 7:05:50 PM PDT
M. Rinaldi says:
the art style of the game matches the cover art imo.

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 4:04:28 PM PDT
T. Paslay says:
Personally I like the cover. However it's kind of silly to base your purchase entirely on the cover. I mean, I don't know about you, but I look at the cover, put the game in the console and the box on my shelf and I won't see the cover again until I beat the game and put the disc away.

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 8:46:41 AM PDT
Lance Hart says:
Very shallow minded and ignorant of the people basing the game on its boxart. It's actually unlike anything most of us have ever seen, and most people just can't embrace change.

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 7:14:00 PM PDT
Brian Buchan says:
I didnt't realize that a game's overall rating had it's box art taken into consideration. All i thought that got rated was gameplay, graphics, replay value, hell even the soundtrack can be used to rate it. Really, the box art is going to stop you from buying a game? If the only way to get a copy of Halo3 was to buy the case with a picture of a penis on it. Pretty much everyone would still buy the game, they would just throw away the case.

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 1:47:14 PM PDT
T. Paslay says:
@Brian
LMAO, nice.

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 8:14:59 AM PDT
Chewy5431 says:
I agree the box art is ugly! Having this guy on the cover is like having one of the sand people on the cover of a Star Wars movie, or having the waterboy on the cover of Madden. This guy looks like an extra, and there so much more to the game than what the cover art lets on.

If I were designing the box art it would be rows and rows of guns that stretched off into the horizon, or just a cryptic symbol like Obvlivion.

I'm not going to cancel my pre-order based on ugly cover art, but it won't be a game that I proudly display.

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 5:09:41 PM PDT
I think that the idea of based a game purchase decission on cover art is quite silly. A game is $60 u.s. / $70 canadian. I wouldn't choose a CD for $15-20 that way, so why on earth would I do that with a game?

No, the art is not "pretty". It uses bold strong colors and yet is very stark in its stylization. If you have actually looked at any of the design for the game it actually carries the game's theme very well. Also, it is one of those covers that I will not have trouble spotting when I do go to pick the game up which is a definite plus.

For the company making the game changing this to appease someone might be profitable (I honestly do not think it would be though -- there are as many on the other side who would probably argue *for* this cover due to its originality) and for them that could be beneficial. But if you go onto IGN you will see an article talking with them and they are proud of the uniqueness and originality of the cover design.

On the other hand, from a gamer's poiint of view, if someone is silly enough to dismiss a game based on the cover art then that is one less person I will meet that I likely would not have wanted to anyway. We would not have gotten along. I do not feel that the cover is "pretty", but I do feel that it is "original" and "fresh" and "distinct" which in the gaming industry, and based on the premises and promises of the game, is a far more important type of distinction.

Just my two cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2009 10:45:33 PM PDT
Brian Buchan says:
Very well said Carita, but just to play devil's advocate, you probobly have already met this person on Xbox live, you know, the only person that is on your ignore list....yep that's probobly him, lol

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2009 3:26:41 PM PDT
Spencer Dick says:
As someone who cares about art a great deal I think the cover art has a lot of imagination put into it and it's brilliant choice of colors separates it from the dull gray box art of something like fallout 3, Cod 4 or Halo ODST. Not that those are bad games, this game just has a much more imaginative cover than just having a super soldier on the cover and nothing else.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 1:52:14 PM PDT
Mattx510 says:
How odd because I actually thought this cover art was especially cool, so when I saw the post title "ugly cover art" I had to say something, dude, your retarded.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 2:27:32 PM PDT
ChomskyKnows says:
One of the best game covers I've ever seen.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 9:29:55 PM PDT
I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me. I got my preorder in.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 11:18:18 AM PDT
The cover looks to...bland. Like would this really make you want to buy it if you were just someone wandering around trying to decide on a game?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  34
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Borderlands - Xbox 360
Borderlands - Xbox 360 by 2K (Xbox 360)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (426)