Customer Discussions > The Left Hand of Darkness forum

An under-rated science fiction author with a gentle style in her prose

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2007 8:54:33 AM PDT
Buttercup says:
I'm always puzzled as to why, when people ask for great female science fiction/fantasy authors, her name doesn't come up; instead, they list Anne McAffrey, J.K. Rowling, Mercedes Lackey, etc ... (which I read as a child and enjoyed- but I'm an adult now and so were the people posting. Shouldn't you be reading more intellectual fiction?)

Also, at my local bookstore, they don't even carry anything by her. What's wrong with this picture? Why is she only read in high-school Literature courses? The way I just encountered her was just by randomly Googling a "Top 100 classic books" list.

Posted on May 24, 2009 3:17:09 PM PDT
T. Davenport says:
This boggles my mind, too. Not only is Ursula Le Guin one of the most talented writers in the genre, she's also one of the most decorated, adding another Nebula to her collection this year. Unfortunately, this is the great problem of science fiction/fantasy. Most of the best-known works - by men or women - are schlock. The only way you can combat this is to put down the f---ing Twilight, read some intelligent books and talk to your friends about them. Get cracking.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2007
Latest post:  May 24, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Left Hand Of Darkness
The Left Hand Of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (Mass Market Paperback - 1980)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (305)